sudden weight gain after hibernation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dewsy_*

Guest_dewsy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:20 PM

Dear all,

Toby came out of hibernation last month and has gained a considerable amount of weight since. He came out of hibernation weighing 246g and has now gone up to 329g in the space of a couple of weeks (he weighed less than that before he hibernated). I have electronic scales so they're pretty accurate. I just wondered whether this is normal. He has been eating ok and toileting as usual. I was thinking that it may be because he has been starved for so long that he has gained weight quicker, but it's just a guess.

Thanks Joanne

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:03 PM

You have to remember that the tortoise was wound down, so lost some weight, and probably was dehydrated to a certain extent. This they will put back on once weighed and watered.
He is not a female by any chance?

#3 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:30 AM

Perfectly normal, it happens with adults too after hibernation. The weight gains should slow down considerably once spring is under way. If an indoor tortoise, remember to give the tortoise lots of ways of exercising and do not hand food to it on a plate as it were as this is a sure fire way to gain too much.
Hope this helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users