up and about

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_koopa_*

Guest_koopa_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:39 PM

hi guys,

Just wanted to thank you all for helping me through Koopa's first hibernation. :D all went well... she lost a bit of weight but she is a big girl and was overall about 5% of her weight. I went for ten weeks as i go on holiday in 4 weeks and didn't want to leave it to the last min to wake her in case there were any problems when i'm away.

things i've learned... lol.. well def go for a soil substrate as i think she would not have lost so much wieght if i had. and learned to chill out and calm down before she goes away cause it's all perfectly normal!!!

one question tho if you guys don't mind. we got her up yesterday and she warmed up, then we gave her a long bath. we didn't see her drink tho, but she did put her head under water several times. she then started eating within 4 hours of waking and is eating fine today as well (although she is eating so quickly like she is starving!) but she hasn't wee'd yet. have given her three more baths since yesterday and still nothing. is this ok? or any ideas how i get her drinking?
:unsure:
thanks
katie

#2 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:00 PM

She probably took water in when her head was underwater Katie. I test weigh mine before and after baths just after hibernation to see what they have taken on board. Look out for urine though at the same time.

#3 Guest_koopa_*

Guest_koopa_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:06 PM

thanks sue. when i give her a bath later i will do that... hopefully she'll drink a bit more this time :rolleyes:

katie

#4 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:47 PM

Tortastic news Katie! Seeeeeeeee, its not that bad is it??? :rolleyes: lol! Congrats on a successful hibernation, well done you!

She'll wee in good time, a lot of the water will be used 'in the body' as she hasn't had any for a few weeks, keep the baths up so that you know she's not dehydrated and stop worrying! I don't know, worry pre hibernation, worry post hibernation, worry when they first go back outdoors, worry when it rains, LOL!! What are we like! :rolleyes:

#5 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:20 PM

Well done Katie!! Yes she was probably taking on water when dipping her head under. Thats what our boys do.

Ours wee'd after about a day although it was very creamy. This improved greatly over the next couple of days.

#6 Guest_koopa_*

Guest_koopa_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:24 AM

thanks for the kind words and advice guys! :)

i'm hoping today she'll pee... fingers crossed. she has had plenty of baths (4 in total now) and i caught her sitting in her water bowl as well!

katie
xx

#7 Guest_AndyG_*

Guest_AndyG_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:41 PM

great news!
mine are the same (about the weeing), eating and moving around okay so i'm not worried.

#8 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:48 PM

congrats katie glad all went well and koopas doing good xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users