how do i wake them up?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:36 PM

ok my three are doing really well very pleased indeed they have stopped loosing weight so the past 4 weeks they have been stable..
now checked in on boris today he gave me a heartattack i couldnt see his head at all it was well and truely inside his shell with the tips of his front legs just poking out is that normal???.. the other two were tips of nose poking out and legs the same way they have been all hibernation.. all reacted to weigh ins ie: they moved there legs and heads a tad,,

now 6 days to go how do i go about waking them?? i will be taking them out of the fridge at 9am on the 13th..lol.

keep in there boxes at room temp yes i get that, but....
when do i bathe them that day and is it normal tepid water or cooler???
when do they go under there normal heat in there cage??
how soon do i offer food??
how soon should they open there eyes??

lol just got over the worry of there first hibernation now i have this hurdle to jump..lol..

#2 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

Yes, perfectly normal.
I bathe them when they are fully awake and tryiing to get out of the box. I use room temp at first and then give them a slightly warmer bath a couple of hours later. I offer food and heat straight after this. Their eyes open before they try to get out of the boxes ;)

#3 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:00 PM

Hey Claire- I'm getting mine up on the 13th as well!!

I know what you mean, I know the checklist as in get the box out, heat, bath food etc, but as this is the first time it's going to be a bit of a long day!!
Will be checking them all the time and probably scrutinise every little move until we feel like they ar back to normal.

Will be glad to see them again and -fingers crossed- everything will be ok.

good luck with urs as well :wub:

#4 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:26 PM

He he! Glad its going well.

There is a good step by step guide on the tortoise trust web site to waking them up. i had the lap top on the kitchen table and followed it as we went!!
It happens very quick, ours woke up and just got on with it all!!

#5 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:48 AM

I take mine out in the evening with just the background heat of the bedroom to bring them round overnight, so that it's just gradual and then in the morning the heat and light comes on as usual. Mine have fed staightaway and then baths.

#6 Guest_AndyG_*

Guest_AndyG_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:49 PM

took mine out of fridge at lunch time, one took about 7 mins to wake the other about 20. Gave luke warm bath, put under heat lamp. Within the hour like nothing had happened (what hibernation :blush: ). one ate a bit that day the other the next. both are okay.
Simples (if only) lol!
hope this helps a bit

#7 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:01 AM

Lol it does take adults a little longer to warm through and really get going.
Smallies are great when they wake, as mine are usually eating withing an hour of waking, as it does not take them long to warm through:0)

#8 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:10 PM

Mine are really little so 7 minutes sounds great to me :D especially for a first time- will be happier next year for sure.

4 days to go!!!! Fingers crossed xx

#9 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:46 PM

ok changed date to 14th so only a day later.. because i promised my daughter i would take her shopping since it was her birthday on thursday so i will not be there all day to watch over them, so tomorrow after shopping i will get there cage all ready for them then sunday its WAKEY WAKEY boris betty and boop..lol..

so excited..lol..husband even got me some sand stone nice big ones so they will have no choice but to file there nails down..lol.

so food wise it could take all off 10mins before first bite it could take 24hrs? when do i start to worry if no food is consumed???

(there sizes are between 6-7cm so there small)

im just hoping when they wake they think food food food darn woman has starved us for like 3mnths we want food and munch away..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users