- - - - -

New tort table........almost finished

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jackiedots_*

Guest_jackiedots_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:04 PM

It has taken a while because I wanted my tort table to match my lounge furniture if possible. We are just adding the finishing touches and will then plant it when I know that the plants I have are safe to put in ( hence my other post)
This has truly been a labour of love for my son and I since we got our tortoises at new year.
I think I will put the basking light in the corner on the right ( closest in the picture and opposite end to the balcony). Do you think I should put the uv strip light across the table from side to side or will it be ok along the left hand side length ways. It has been along the back of the viv but of course that a was smaller area.

As I have not posted photos before this evening I shall now formally introduce you to our two torts. Here is a picture of Esmeralda ( Esme for short) and Herman at feed time. You can probably see that Esme has some pyramiding from when I got her.

Please let me know if you have any advice or comments.

Thanks

Kind regards

Jackie

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:41 PM

thats some table well done

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:00 PM

Wow that is a stunning enclosure, one of the best I have seen. Well done!

#4 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:10 PM

Bloody hell!!! Thats fantastic!

Can I be rude and ask how much it cost you to build? No reason other than just being nosey!!! LOL!!! You should be really proud of yourself, well done!

#5 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:41 PM

Love the Palace!! biggrin.gif Even got a balcony to wave from biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Torts look lovely, my babies are cute but I do like the larger ones when you can see more of their features like yours. The shell doesn't look bad at all, and now shes with you she'll be fine anyway.

Post more pics when they move in lol xx

#6 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:27 PM

Both tortoises and the superb table look excellent to me! From my angle of looking at the tortoise there is only a very very slightly uneven carapace growth there. Your table was clearly made by a master joiner!!

#7 Guest_jackiedots_*

Guest_jackiedots_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for your comments. Has anyone any advice about where best to put the uv tube and the basking lamp. I have made a couple of suggestions on my first post.

I should have said that the balustrades are not attached yet other than the top at the back and the lower one on the balcony. The others are just resting on the sides and haven't been cut to size yet. Not sure if I am getting a bit carried away putting it all round !!! I will see if I think they have a chance of escaping or not. Its 7" from the soil to the top of the sides so think I can do without it. I will not put anything close to the edge that they can climb on. If I do not have the balustrade around I will put an overhanging lip all around the edge.

I cant wait to get them in it but I want to get plants in first. I have some pansies and campanula that have been weathering outside and a large spider plant plus a couple of dandelion plants. Not sure how they will do indoors but its worth a try. It may be a bit warm for them ( if they last long without being eaten of course.....) lol

Kind regards

Jackie

#8 Guest_jackiedots_*

Guest_jackiedots_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (Dawn @ Feb 8 2010, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bloody hell!!! Thats fantastic!

Can I be rude and ask how much it cost you to build? No reason other than just being nosey!!! LOL!!! You should be really proud of yourself, well done!

Yes of course you can ask............I'm not going to tell you though !!!! LOL Just joking. I bought 2 bookcases from Ikea that were meant to be 2' 7" wide and 3' 6" high. I figured that if I laid them side by side that would give me a length of 5' 2" and a width of 3' 6". I adapted it by leaving out a few bits of wood i.e. one side of each bookcase and joined the two together. The backs of the bookcases were far too flimsy to use as a base so I had to have a piece of plywood cut especially.
2 x bookcases 40 each
Base was I think 21 ish ( my son now tells me he could have got it a lot cheaper)
Various fittings from B & Q ( cant remember exactly but not expensive)
Pond liner about 5
Wood glue, tape and some wooden poles cut up for the ramp.
Balustrade ( half price at B & Q but still 7.49 a length). I bought 4 but may not use them all.
I think thats it, I had some of the fixings and screws etc already.
It was definately cheaper than buying one that size ready made and the satisfaction is priceless..........

I am soooooo looking forward to getting my lounge back. It has been a bit like living in a builders yard for a few weeks !!
Jackie

#9 Guest_Robink_*

Guest_Robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:14 PM

Could you not attach the lighting from the baloney area shining down on the lower section. Great looking table well jealous.
My lots want to know do you take in lodgers. laugh.gif

#10 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:29 PM

I would put the UV tube under the top bit if possible, so its in a confined area. Preferably with a shield forcing the light downwards. The spotlight needs to be the same end as the tube, so that when your tortoises are basking, they get the UV too.
To be honest, you would be better off with a UV/heat lamp. As then it wont matter where its put,as the UV and heat are together.

#11 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (jackiedots @ Feb 9 2010, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for your comments. Has anyone any advice about where best to put the uv tube and the basking lamp. I have made a couple of suggestions on my first post.

I should have said that the balustrades are not attached yet other than the top at the back and the lower one on the balcony. The others are just resting on the sides and haven't been cut to size yet. Not sure if I am getting a bit carried away putting it all round !!! I will see if I think they have a chance of escaping or not. Its 7" from the soil to the top of the sides so think I can do without it. I will not put anything close to the edge that they can climb on. If I do not have the balustrade around I will put an overhanging lip all around the edge.

I cant wait to get them in it but I want to get plants in first. I have some pansies and campanula that have been weathering outside and a large spider plant plus a couple of dandelion plants. Not sure how they will do indoors but its worth a try. It may be a bit warm for them ( if they last long without being eaten of course.....) lol

Kind regards

Jackie

Hi Jackie
I would put the uvb and basking lamp at the highest point possible covering as large an area as possible, thereby mimicking the sun. This way the lower areas will be duller, as in nature and they will not be looking to hide away in an area that would not be naturally bright if this makes sense. Tortoises naturally go downbank to hide or to retire for the night. I would put much deeper substrate under the sheltered are to encourage digging down and at the same time offering better thermoregulation properties and moisture conservation.
Just my two penneth.

#12 Guest_jackiedots_*

Guest_jackiedots_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ Feb 9 2010, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would put the UV tube under the top bit if possible, so its in a confined area. Preferably with a shield forcing the light downwards. The spotlight needs to be the same end as the tube, so that when your tortoises are basking, they get the UV too.
To be honest, you would be better off with a UV/heat lamp. As then it wont matter where its put,as the UV and heat are together.

Thanks for your earlier comment Cyberangel. Really kind.

How much approximately would a combined heat/uv lamp be as that would make more sense huh.gif ( but a bigger hole in my pocket !! ) ohmy.gif

Jackie

#13 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (jackiedots @ Feb 9 2010, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for your earlier comment Cyberangel. Really kind.

How much approximately would a combined heat/uv lamp be as that would make more sense huh.gif ( but a bigger hole in my pocket !! ) ohmy.gif

Jackie

Have a look here - not too bad when you think you will not need a starter for the uvb. I would go for the larger wattage too to cover a greater area. http://www.zooplus.c...t_lights/114906
These have been around for quite a while now. I recommend them wholeheartedly as they have good uvb levels too and the hatchlings respond really well to the light levels. My oldest one is over a year old with no problems so far.
Hope this helps

#14 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:45 PM

I paid 15 for the ceramic holder in my local pet shop and 50 on ebay for the combined Powersun lamp, which stopped working after 6 months and they changed it for a new one within 2 days so was quite please with the price and the service there. The same lamp was 75 in the local pet shop as well!! worth shopping around but I would stick to the branded lamps.

One thing about the table- you said it was 7 inches from the earth to the top- don't forget that you have 2 torts and they will use each other as ladders!! I would put the top capping on just in case, they will surprise you with how high they can climb. Mine are only 5 cms long and one of them got up on top of a shelf over twice that, think the other one gave her a bunk up- the buggers lol!!

xx

#15 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:15 PM

wow,what a fantastic home,your torts are so lucky!!
Jay,H and Becky

#16 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:11 PM

That is brilliant!
Just as well my little guys are in the fridge and not looking... they'd be searching for their suitcases!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Paula x

#17 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:13 PM

You can get so unbiased advice about lighting at Kimbos reptiles. Darren keeps tortoises himself, and is well informed on what lights to use where and when. At reasonable prices too.

#18 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ Feb 9 2010, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can get so unbiased advice about lighting at Kimbos reptiles. Darren keeps tortoises himself, and is well informed on what lights to use where and when. At reasonable prices too.

I thought he had discontinued all but the megaray - could be wrong I suppose.

#19 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:18 AM

Darren might well have discontinued others, but he still knows which is best for each set up. And is still informed on others.
Nothing wrong with megaray is there?

[/quote]

#20 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ Feb 10 2010, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Darren might well have discontinued others, but he still knows which is best for each set up. And is still informed on others.
Nothing wrong with megaray is there?

No, nothing whatsoever wrong with the megaray except the inflated price lol. The introduction of the Hobby lamps was not a good idea and there were several problems with them but so far, no probs with the Solar Glo which are now getting good reviews for less than 40 and in some cases only 29.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users