coldframes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:29 PM

Hi All

I went to a local B&Q superstore this morning, they were setting up their Spring display in the garden section. And there was a great looking coldframe. Green plastic frame, the double plastic sides, and a clear plastic lid. Quite sturdy, with wires to hold it down. They had only got the one for display and none for sale yet, but should be getting them in, in the next two weeks. Well worth keeping your eye open for them. They should be under 30.
They also had double sun tunnels, if you cut a door out of the side at one end or the end, then an adult tortoise could use these as a shelter. These are under 14.
I will be getting one or the other or both in the future.

#2 Guest_wilsonathome_*

Guest_wilsonathome_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:20 PM

is the sun tunnel the same as a polytunnel? i've been meaning to get one, maybe i will this year then rolleyes.gif

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:49 AM

Poly tunnels are usually very large (six feet and over tall, and varying lengths). The sun tunnels are really very large cloches, to grow seed/plants under. But the double one is large enough for at least two adult iberas. Poly tunnes are also usually soft plastic, these large sun tunnels are rigid plastic.

I dont think they would be big enough for very large whiteis, as they are very large.
I have one of the single ones I use with my smaller iberas. It about four foot six long and about eighteen inchs wide ( just guessing looking at it from my window) the double one is wider and longer.

#4 Guest_wilsonathome_*

Guest_wilsonathome_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:27 PM

so a sun tunnel i'll get then smile.gif

#5 Guest_Robink_*

Guest_Robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:45 PM

Sue they're good you have to cut out the ends, but the are quite sturdy .

#6 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:06 PM

Having seen the larger one, I thought you could easily cut out a door at one end, but not on the end. As they have some vents ( for when it gets too hot), a door on the side at one end would be just as good.
The smaller one I have, has not been in use for tortoises, as they are either inside (under 30grms) or in hibernation. But I have used it to put over cuttings of fushias and campanula that I took at the end of the Summer, this has worked well, especially with all the snow we have had.
The fushia cuttings have buds, and the cloche is only just over the top of them. So they do a good job what ever you use them for:0)

#7 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:08 PM

oh SPOOKY i was in B&Q today and saw a coldframe was meant to be 30 down to 14.99 the lid lifts up it does feel sturdy and its very neat,

but i havent a clue what i would do with it??? ive just read loads of ppl have them the size i saw probably no good for large torts but its ideal for my 3 small ones so any advice on what you are meant to do with them would be greatly apreciated as i think i will defo be buying it at that price..lol

#8 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:36 PM

Well if it were mine I would dig a hole in the ground along the front of it, so the tortoises can come and go as they please to the outside area. But make sure it is securely held down, as if it is light the wind will take it away.
If its a plastic frame then not so easy to put on bricks or breize blocks, which is what I do with my glass coldframes. I then leave a brick out so the tortoises can come and go.
This is the coldframe I keep hatchlings in.

#9 Guest_claireshot_*

Guest_claireshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:49 PM

just got back from b and q's. I bought a wooden raised bed frame and the plastic sun tunnel for under 30.00! This is going to be for the baby leopards to go out in. Now just need some sunshine to get me outside to build it all !!!!!!!

#10 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:16 PM

I bought one of the coldframes I was talking about this morning, 14 .23 each. A bargain, its on offer at the moment two pounds off.
I am not sure if all stores stock them, or just the superstores.

#11 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:41 PM

A picture of the coldframe.

#12 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:22 AM

thats the coldframe i have bought smile.gif

its going to be drilled into the pavement then the run will follow on from that im going for breezeblocks and a wooden frame with chicken wire for the lid to keep out the cats n dogs..
doing the bottom of teh garden as that gets most of the sun for longest

#13 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:06 AM

Hi Claire

When you have your coldframe set up, please post some pictures so we can all see.
And pinch any useful ideas:0)

#14 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:52 PM

i will do sandy we were out there today tidying the garden, i need to level the ground were the run is going to be first as i think its it bumpy n the breezeblocks would not sit safe,
husband is going to drill the coldframe down for me i have to build it first its in the shed at the moment..lol..

but all has been measured just need some decent none frost chucking down weather to give us a chance to get out there....lol

#15 Guest_akaha_*

Guest_akaha_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ Feb 15 2010, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought one of the coldframes I was talking about this morning, 14 .23 each. A bargain, its on offer at the moment two pounds off.
I am not sure if all stores stock them, or just the superstores.

b&q must have made a profit on these today because after reading about it on hear i went and bought one too.. rolleyes.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users