green house

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

gonna make a start on the green house 2morrow if the weather holds!!!dose anyone use them?going to put power in it for the very cold nights up here just looking for ideas for the base of it. not sure if i should use slaps with king span on top then soil or make a found then have it on blocks.not keen on the blocks as the green house will be quite high then and we get pritty hard wind.any ideas would be great thanks

bruce

#2 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:43 PM

Hi Bruce
Some of the best greenhouse setups I have seen are Editha's in Germany. She has some great setups and some brilliant theories too which I am sure you will find interesting. Here is a link http://www.graeca-ho...rariumFrame.htm

#3 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:17 PM

thanks sue thats giving me somthing to think about.if mines turns out half as good i will be happy.it looks great!!!
thanks again

bruce

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

Wow that is a great set up Editha has! Lucky torts. :D

Bruce if you take some pictures you can show us how it's done!! :P

Are you going to leave an exit from the greenhouse or will the little chaps use the doorway? Can you do this without using blocks? I am thinking that when we start ours if we leave an exit we can build a small (to start with) covered outside enclosure onto it that even the tiny chaps can use and be safe in.

Paula x

#5 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:33 PM

paula i think i will sink the blocks in the ground like it shows in the link.i dont think my shutring will be as good as wot is shown!!!but should work out the same i hope anyway.i will have somthing like a cat flap for them to come in and out of.
i will tak pics stage by stage of the work i do.i will have to dig a long track just for the power to it.theirs gonna be a lot of work put into this so i hope it works.i am not blessed with the weather you lot get.so its gonna be a big waste of time and money if they dont go out side of the green house!!!!but have to try.there no trouble at all are they???

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:34 PM

Oh no trouble at all Bruce!! :LOL: :wub: :rolleyes:

Paula x

#7 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:02 AM

I think Editha used the uvb transmissable polycarbonate on the roof of her greenhouses, so best be sure you are supplementing well Bruce to make up for the lack of natural D3 if you follow her designs.

#8 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:47 AM

hi Bruce i use a block base for my houses and we get some strong winds here.the solid base really helps to prevent any damage just be sure if it is a sliding door type that the door is fastened shut to keep the wind out.
terry
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:19 AM

My greenhouses are similar to Terrys, mine are on house bricks (Terry keeps leopards so needs higher bricks:0) ) and just set on the soil in the garden. My bricks are set on a footing, as we also get some high winds, the hurricane we had in 1987:0) So the GH needs to be screwed onto the bricks.
The german site Sue put up is excellent, and very expensive:0) but worth it if you have that sort of money to spend. They look brilliant. I wish my pocket went that far. But ideas can be pinched:0)
My greenhouse is also bubble wrapped all year (changing regularly) as during the Winter it helps keep some heat in, and protect some frosts. It also stops the searing glare of the sun during the Summer months.

#10 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:25 AM

thanks everyone weather is oc so i am off to make a start!!!

#11 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

All looking very professional Bruce.

#12 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:58 PM

so far so good.that was the easy part we'll see what happens next weekend!!!!

#13 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:38 PM

Rather you than me, i only did it once and it was a nightmare. I would love another greenhouse one day, but would need someone to come and do it while I was out lol

#14 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:25 PM

I was reading last night and think that in my set up I shall use some of those tubular heaters for night time I did read that they should be positioned fairly low with guards to prevent burns.

Paula x

#15 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:46 PM

I dont use the tubular heaters, but I know keepers who do, and they are really pleased with the way they work. And they are supposed to be cheap to run.

#16 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:33 PM

I put them just out of reach as the guards have gaps big enough to get a torts claws caught in if it tried to climb on it. I suppose some may be different though.

#17 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

i was planing some of thoose heaters for nite time temps.and a small dog like kennel inside heated for the cold scottish nights!!!cant wait for the shutering next weekend not!!!!

#18 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:42 PM

I know this might sound silly... wait for it..!

I wondered about a heated kennel inside a greenhouse and wondered if say torty was in the kennel and the greenhouse got really hot in the sun, would torty come out of the kennel into the hotter greenhouse to get to an outside enclosure to get cool, or would he stay in the kennel which could also be too hot?

Paula x

#19 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:52 PM

the heat would only be on at night paula

#20 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:59 PM

I see, but if the kennel were cooler, but still too hot... if you see what I mean?

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users