green house

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:31 PM

I think it's necessary to have shaded areas inside the greenhouse; the tortoises would notice cooler air coming in but I wouldn't be sure they would exit. I believe heating in greenhouses really needs to be on a thermostat which rules out the megaray combined heat and UVB lamps and similar designs. Thats why I used a halogen lamp on a dimming thermostat inside my tall coldframe.

By the way, the greenhouse shown in the photos from Germany costs about £9000. Plus fitting. This greenhouse is not available in the UK at the present time. The sides are made of UV transmitting plexiglass like my coldframe and the roof is not UV transmitting material. Its truly fabtastic of course! One issue to think about at our latitiude is that there really isn't a huge amount of UVB anyway, so there is a limit to how much its worth spending in order to let it into your greenhouse.

#22 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:55 AM

9 grand!!!thats a lot of money!!!i saw on the telly the other nite saying the highlands have the highist rate of suicide in the uk.they have put this down to low uvb up here!!!!!so do you think what iam doing is a waste of time if i hardly get any uvb?it will still be good to see them outside uvb or not!!!

#23 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:41 AM

Definately not a waste of time Bruce, it will be great to allow them to be outside more of the time. All that space!

Can anyone with a UV meter tell us how outside compares to under lamps?

I missed a nought on the 9 grand and still thought it was alot of money!! :rolleyes: :LOL:

Paula x

#24 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

In a greenhouse setup it is better to have an area of deep soil which is how they can cool down if no access to outdoors. Ventilation is crucial though. My russians used to tunnel really deep in the greenhouse and so I had no worries about overheating as this is what they would do in the wild. Above ground hides are not a lot of use in a greenhouse, unless set on soil where they can dig down.
Hope this helps.

#25 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:04 AM

While that is true, it's still far more than emitted by your average uvb lamp ;)

#26 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:09 AM

If we believed everything we read in the papers we would go barmy anyway lol. UV levels are supposed to be on the increase if what we read about global warming and climate change are anything to go by, but then it's now thought that this is more a natural phenomenon, rather than what they have been saying for the past god knows how many years anyway! There are a lot of people with light meters so it may be worth joining a forum for this to see what acceptable levels are found anyway within certain areas.

#27 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:22 AM

So if we were to build a tallish kennel with access via a ramp and the base was about 12 inches of good soil it would maybe get round the problem? With regard to ventilation, would those thingies that open windows at a certain temperature be a way to provide this or is there more to it?

Paula x

#28 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:05 PM

I agree with Sue, far better to have a deep natural soil, so the tortoises can make up their own minds as to where they want to be.
They can be fussy devils, I put curved tiles, broken flower pots in mine. They all have their favorite place to be.

#29 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:38 PM

Digging it is then! :D

I hope your back is going to be up to this Bruce!! :LOL:

I shall break the news to my hubby once he has finished building the walls!!

Paula x

#30 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:56 PM

should i turn the soil for them or would they they dig down their selfs?

bruce

#31 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:31 PM

Not sure a raised kennel type thing would work, for thermoregulation to take place properly the tortoise needs to dig down below ground level. It's the same principal as hibernation really. Yes, automatic window vents would work to a point but on really hot days, this alone wopuld probably not give enough heat exchange (in my humble opinion) ;)

#32 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:32 PM

They will do it themselves and would probably prefer it this way ;)

#33 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:06 AM

snowing again today wont be able to do the founds for the greenhouse!!! :crazy:

#34 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:23 PM

Its been warm sunshine here in Kent:0) Well warm compared to what we have been having.

#35 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:09 PM

Looking good Bruce. And most of the hardest work done!
Your tortoises will apprieciate it all.

#36 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:51 PM

i think this is the easy part.not looking forward to putting up the green house.its gonna be a nightmare!!!!

#37 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:27 PM

Tis coming on Bruce! From the weather reports on the TV I thought you were all up to your ears in snow up there. :D

Paula x

#38 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:43 PM

their is snow all around paula but caithness is quite strange we have mountains then most of caithness is pritty flat and low lying so the part where i live never gets it as bad as say 10 mile any way away but we do get it somtimes.i hope it starts to warm up soon!!!!

#39 Guest_Stevei_*

Guest_Stevei_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:55 PM

Looking good Bruce I now know who to call if I need a garage built. :LOL: Am I thinking too small scale with a coldframe and an outside area? rather than a full scale building project :blink:

I would like to do something like that but space will not allow

#40 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:47 PM

well got the green house up and came down the next week in a storm!!!so got my money back and have started to make a tort shed.i am a bit stck now on the roof any joiners out their?????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users