"Wheezing" Tort

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_pollyanna_*

Guest_pollyanna_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hiya guys, sorry not been on here for ages, but need some advice, my tort seems to be kind of wheezing at the moment. She sounds as though there is a slight whistle as she is breathing. She doesn't seem to be having any trouble breathng as such, but find the noise slightly disturbing, as she has never done it before. This has been going on for the last day or two. Any advice would be helpful. Am trying to locate a vet in the area, as we have now moved to North Germany, and can't get to our fantastic vet that we had in Andover prior to the move.

#2 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:43 PM

Sorry hes not right, have you checked out the symptoms for RNS? Google it. I'm no expert but have read about it on here and think you need to catch it early so just worth checking out the symptoms to be safe.

Hope he is ok, with any luck it might nothing and just go away.

Lezlie xx

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:34 PM

Hello there,

I am unable to offer any advice I'm afraid. It will help others who can if they have some more information.

How is your little one? Is he eating well and active? Is his nose clear of obstacles and dry? What sort of set up do you have? Particularly what substrate do you use?

Best of luck finding a vet though, if it were me I would be getting him checked out as soon as I could.

Let us know how you get on. We shall have our fingers crossed.

Paula x

#4 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (Hermie + Pebble @ Feb 13 2010, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry hes not right, have you checked out the symptoms for RNS? Google it. I'm no expert but have read about it on here and think you need to catch it early so just worth checking out the symptoms to be safe.

Hope he is ok, with any luck it might nothing and just go away.

Lezlie xx

Just to mention that RNS is just a symptom and not an actual disease. Very often it's environmental and will have other signs such as not eating or hiding away if it's respiratory infection or distress. I have a couple of adult hermanns that whistle now and again when breathing and have no other problems, it's a bit like us getting a bit of cattargh wink.gif Obviously if off their food then a vet is needed to do swabs etc.

#5 Guest_pollyanna_*

Guest_pollyanna_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE (Hettie @ Feb 13 2010, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello there,

I am unable to offer any advice I'm afraid. It will help others who can if they have some more information.

How is your little one? Is he eating well and active? Is his nose clear of obstacles and dry? What sort of set up do you have? Particularly what substrate do you use?

Best of luck finding a vet though, if it were me I would be getting him checked out as soon as I could.

Let us know how you get on. We shall have our fingers crossed.

Paula x

Hiya, thanks for all the advice, Shell is nearly six years old, and is in an open top container. I've been using hemp bedding for a while and had no problems so far with this. Her nose is clear, she is still eating well, and doesn't have a runny nose, or anything of note around her face area. She doesn't look unwell, however I know there is no real way to see if a tort is unwell. Will keep hunting for a vet x

#6 Guest_bextaylor_*

Guest_bextaylor_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:01 PM

hi i took mine to the vets friday with the same thing he was making a funny wheezing noise gone of food but still has wide awake times n active they said he got chest infection got some meds for him the vet showed me redness on his shell at the bottom so i know next time thats a sign of infection.

#7 Guest_pollyanna_*

Guest_pollyanna_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:28 PM

Hiya guys, Thanks for all the advice. Finally managed to find a vet that knows torts, and can speak english! Quite a few false starts along the way, shell has been having some abx, and seems to be getting better.

#8 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:47 PM

Hi,
Glad to hear you have found a vet that talks english,hope your little one is okay and feeling better today.
take care
Jayne,H and Becky

#9 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:10 PM

That's good news! What a relief to find some help and to see her get better.

Paula x

#10 Guest_pollyanna_*

Guest_pollyanna_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (Hettie @ Feb 18 2010, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's good news! What a relief to find some help and to see her get better.

Paula x

Shell, the naughty girl,

Hi, just had another trip to the vets, which left me mortified! She was having anither dose of abx, which she isn't too keen on, but, who would be? Halfway through, she had the biggest pee ever. Wasn't just a bog standard pee though, there was definate venom behind it, and I'm certain she aimed for the vets eyes. As that's where she got it, and her face, the poor girl (vet that is). Once she'd pee'd all over the poor lady, in the worst possible manner, she repeated this twice more, thankfully missing her face then. You know when you just want the ground to open up and swallow you................

In sShells defence, she'd been xray, and poked and prodded, but well!

Got another trip on Weds, hopefully all will go well!

#11 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

I bet the vet will keep her face well clear,she's probably had worse things happen,hope your little one is feeling better soon,hope wednesday all goes well.
Jay,H and Becky

#12 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:26 PM

The vet won't forget Shell in a hurry!! wub.gif Don't ya just love 'em!! biggrin.gif
Best of luck with piddle pot on Wednesday!!

Paula x

#13 Guest_pollyanna_*

Guest_pollyanna_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

Hi guys,

Shell has just ad the all clear, yipee.
Just have to keep a close eye on her, but all being well.......

#14 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:04 PM

Excellent news!! Hope you stick around wub.gif

#15 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:58 PM

That's great news!! Glad all is going well. smile.gif

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic