Esme & Hermans new home

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jackiedots_*

Guest_jackiedots_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:44 AM

Esme & Herman moved in today at last !!
My son & I built the table from two flat packed Ikea bookcases joined together and with a bit of adapting finally ended up with what we wanted for our two torts. It was a fun filled project with a few hiccups and headaches along the way and my lounge resembled a builders yard for about 10 days or so but it was all worth it in the end.

Jackie

Work in progress

Finished at last and in place in the lounge

Herman on a hike upstairs.

Exploring - I wonder what through here......

Lunchtime menu - lettuce or pansies

Add your own comments to this one !! lol

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:13 AM

Jackie, that is an amazing enclosure!

You have two very lucky torts. :D

I think in the bottom picture the little tort could be saying 'right! I'll start here and work my way in'.

Does your son have much spare time?.... :LOL:

Paula x

#3 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:21 AM

Fabulous pics. Love the last pic, if ever I'v seen a smile on a tort thats gotta be it

:D Lovely table. xx

#4 Guest_jackiedots_*

Guest_jackiedots_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:15 PM

Paula, I love your tort comment. It really made me laugh.

My son works full time Monday to Friday so a lot of the work was done in the evenings when we are both at home.

Now we plan to relax and enjoy ..........one problem though......its 3.13 pm Sunday afternoon and the little blighters haven't even got up yet !!!

Jackie
xx

#5 Guest_jackiedots_*

Guest_jackiedots_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:21 PM

Yep......he looks pretty happy doesn't he !!!

Jackie
xx

#6 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:53 AM

Thats the most amazing set up ever!! I have been furiously taking ideas from it and trying to apply it to my own!!

Can I ask, what are the plants that you have in there? (I am useless with stuff like this - but desperatley trying to learn!)

Lou

x

p.s. I have never seen a happier looking tort! I once made a comment on here about struggling to read my little one's expression however that picture leaves no doubt in my mind that they do have expressions and really cute ones at that!! smile.gif

#7 Guest_Robink_*

Guest_Robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:46 AM

Jackie great looking enclosure!! Bet you don't get much work done now!:lol:

#8 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:10 PM

One word - FANBLOOMINGTORTASTICLOVELYJUBBLYWOWZERWOWZERDOGSDOODAHS!!!!!!!

Hmmmmm, think that might just about sum it up.... :rolleyes:

Like everyone else I absolutly love the last picture!!!!! :wub:

#9 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:11 PM

I think she likes it!! :LOL:
Bet you were the kinda kid that always had the last word Dawn!! :P :LOL: :wub:

Paula x

#10 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:26 AM

who me, no, never, not I......................... oops! Ok maybe I did :blush:

#11 Guest_*Tinkerbell*_*

Guest_*Tinkerbell*_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:53 PM

This is an absolutley brilliant enclosure, may i ask how big it is? You tort' looks sooo pleased with it...definatley living the life of luxury x WELL DONE YOU! x

#12 Guest_jackiedots_*

Guest_jackiedots_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:24 AM

Hi Lou
I'm pleased you like the table. Its lovely to read the great comments everyone has made.
The three little bushy plants are pansies and campanula, the tall spikey one at the front is an aloe vera and the one at the back is a spider plant. I took about 5 babys from the large spider plant and put them in little individual pots and they last about two days before I have an empty pot ! There is also an opuntia cactus in a pot on the top level but I am not feeding them that yet as I am unsure if it has been sprayed prior to me buying it so its more for decoration than anything at the moment. I think I have to wait a while before I can give them any of that. The one hanging over the balcony is fake......its there to cover up a small gap where I measured the ballustrade wrongly and when I went to attach it, it didn't quite meet with the staircase !!! LOL
I felt useless also ( and still do at times) but I have spent hours and hours on the forum trying to learn the do's and dont's. Its a brilliant place to pick up knowledge and tips.
Jackie
xx

#13 Guest_jackiedots_*

Guest_jackiedots_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:33 AM

You've got it in one !! I can't think what I used to do before tortoise watching!! The hours just fly by and my ironing pile gets ever higher!! I'm going to have to start bringing the ironing board into the lounge and setting it up by the tort table style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Jackie

#14 Guest_jackiedots_*

Guest_jackiedots_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:37 AM

Dawn & Paula

I am still laughing at your posts and repartee !! :D

Thanks for your comments.

Jackie
xx

#15 Guest_jackiedots_*

Guest_jackiedots_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:45 AM

Thanks for your comments. The enclosure is made from two small Ikea bookcases and now measures 5' 2" x 3' 6". The balcony part is 11" x 3'6" across. I have two torts in there, Herman and Esmeralda although I now believe Herman to be a girl and Esmeralda to be a boy !! ooops !

Jackie
xx

#16 Guest_*Tinkerbell*_*

Guest_*Tinkerbell*_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:07 PM

Hehe woops...my tortoise is called Tinkerbell although I have no idea of the gender yet, so may turn into "Tinker" LOL xx

#17 Guest_SarahRoss_*

Guest_SarahRoss_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:44 AM

This tort table is amazing, just putting together a new one that my wonderful husband built me last weekend so will be pinching some ideas from here
Excellent!
Sarah x

#18 Guest_katiemmoss_*

Guest_katiemmoss_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

What lighting are you using in this table? I am stuck on what to use and how to fit it so my hermanns gets enough UVB and UVA. xx

#19 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

Hi Kate,

People use a variety of different lighting and heating, some prefer combined bulbs. I use seperates, I have Reptiglo 10 strip bulb for UVB, I have also added a Reptiglo 2 for additional UVA, since adding this to my table I have noticed an increase in activity of my tort. The UVA is a different end of the lighting spectrum, just to increase light levels. I use a ceramic bulb for heat.

Paula x

#20 GEMSHAWY

GEMSHAWY

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Big animal lover, I have 3 Border Collies, 2 cats, 2 gerbils and my first tortoise Dash :) Love long dog walks across the fields. Farming, keeping fit, reading, time with my family.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

Wow

This is amazing!

I was going to ask what lights and heat lamp you use as I am just in the process of building my own.

What did you use on the bottom for lining, may I ask?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users