- - - - -

New to this

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mickthered_*

Guest_mickthered_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:58 AM

Just came accross this site and decided to pop in and take any advice thats going

Got talking to someone in a pub who had a tortoise about a year old and didnt realy seem to care for it or was not really that bothered about it so decided to take it off his hands and hopefully give her a better home

Although now shes in a vivarium I know this is not ideal but with two nosy cats thought she would be better in a viv with someone who cares rather then a table with someone who doesn't care

Only problem being new to this I find a lot of the info out there conflicting at the moment we are feeding hher on lettuce cucumber and a tiny bit of carrot (although shes not to fussed on the carrot and will only eat a small amount of it)

Got a list of fruit that Im told she can eat then looking on the internet seems they shouldnt eat fruit

How long should the lights be on for both UV and the heat lamp

Will it be warm enough at a night time when the lights are off

Any advice given either on the questions asked or anything else I need to know will be greatly appreciated

#2 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (mickthered @ Feb 21 2010, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just came accross this site and decided to pop in and take any advice thats going

Got talking to someone in a pub who had a tortoise about a year old and didnt realy seem to care for it or was not really that bothered about it so decided to take it off his hands and hopefully give her a better home

Although now shes in a vivarium I know this is not ideal but with two nosy cats thought she would be better in a viv with someone who cares rather then a table with someone who doesn't care

Can you take the viv doors of and put a piece of wood accross the front instead? Or you could use a table and put some netting or wire across it? A viv will do them harm in the long term

Only problem being new to this I find a lot of the info out there conflicting at the moment we are feeding hher on lettuce cucumber and a tiny bit of carrot (although shes not to fussed on the carrot and will only eat a small amount of it)

lettuce is a definate no-no, cucumber is just water so won't give the tort any nutrition, carrot is ok in very small doses, you are better of feeding weeds - dandelions etc, if you look on our weed list you can google image the names to get pictures. Another alternitive is the floretti bags of salad leaves from supermarkets. Weeds though are the best option, they are nutritionous, what they would eat naturally and above all FREE!

Got a list of fruit that Im told she can eat then looking on the internet seems they shouldnt eat fruit

Don't feed fruit as this will upset their tummies - stick to weeds

How long should the lights be on for both UV and the heat lamp

Leave them on for approximatly 12 hours a day

Will it be warm enough at a night time when the lights are off

Yes it's good for them to have a drop in temperature, although in a viv this wouldnt be much. As long as the room temperature doesn't drop below about 15 degrees she will be fine.

Any advice given either on the questions asked or anything else I need to know will be greatly appreciated

Ok I have a few questions...

Firstly welcome to the forum, its good to see you here wub.gif

What breed is the tortoise?

Can you post a photo? Different torts need different set-ups.

Did you get any paperwork? Again this depends on the tort as not all breeds require paperwork, if they do, you only really need it if you intend to breed or sell - it is against the law to do either of these without the paperwork (DEFRA CITES (Article 10) certificate)

What substrate is the tort on? The best/easiest/cheapest/naturalist is topsoil

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:35 AM

Sorry but vivs for tortoises are not a good thing. Unless you can adapt it. Vivs have very poor aircirculation, and can cause lots of problems in the long run. Health and growth problems.
You could open the glass doors to one side, and put an outside area for your tortoise to roam.
Or push the doors to one side and put a piece of wood across so he she cant escape.
Cats are not a problem with tortoises. Putting a piece of mesh across the top of an open topped enclosure ( much healthier for your tortoise) to stop the cats pooing in there:0)

A pictuure might help ID what speices he/she is.

Diet for med tortoises is weeds weeds and more weeds, along with flowers.
If its a med tortoise then fruit is a no no, as it upsets their gut flora. www.tortoises.net has a great list with pictures. A great list in another section on here too.

My UV/lights for my iberas are on from seven in the morning until about five oclock. As the evenings get lighter, the lights will be on longer. I tend to turn mine off when they have gone off to bed.
Knowing the speices of your tortoise is vital. As the above info is for med and horsfield tortoises who hibernate. Not for tropical or leopards.

#4 Guest_mickthered_*

Guest_mickthered_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for the replies

I have got a yellow certificate that says she is a Hermanns tortoise and just over a year old

as I say lettuce (being a salad dodger myself) its the green stuff out of one of them supermarket packs of green stuff crispy salad leaves it says on the pack

The substrate she is on at the moment is beechwood chips decided against the fine sand that you see thought that would cause more problems breathing it in getting in her eyes etc

just need to leave the lights now for an hour or two longer then as at the moment on for around ten hours with the heat light for an extra half hour as didn't want both lights to go off at the same time time and her sudennly plunged into darkness

have tried to post a couple of pics any problems with them let me know and will try and post them elsewhere

http://img.photobuck...ly/DSCF0265.jpg

http://img.photobuck...ly/DSCF0266.jpg

Attached Files

#5 Guest_koopa_*

Guest_koopa_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:45 AM

Hi and welcome!

your tort looks lovely! biggrin.gif
we like pictures in here so we can all go "AAWWWW!"

I would also say to use soil instead of wood chips... much more natural. some people use a mix of soil and playsand (70%-30%) mix but alot of us also use just soil (like me) it's easy to keep clean and you just spray it with water if you feel it's drying out. I tried wood chips when i first got my tort (and also alfalfa pellets) and i found my Koopa couldn't stand up and walk on them properly, she just sorta scooted around on her belly! so soil is great as it's natural substrate for them and compacts so they can walk on it.
also they love to bury under to sleep.

i'm currently growning trays and trays full of weeds for koopa and in the mean time is being fed on florretti. i seem to live in the only 'weed' free part of the country! lol! a good place to get weed seeds is shelledwarriors.co.uk. just stick them in some soil in trays and watch them grow! perfect for people like me who are rubbish at identifying weeds.

hope this helps
katie

#6 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (koopa @ Feb 21 2010, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi and welcome!

your tort looks lovely! biggrin.gif
we like pictures in here so we can all go "AAWWWW!"

I would also say to use soil instead of wood chips... much more natural. some people use a mix of soil and playsand (70%-30%) mix but alot of us also use just soil (like me) it's easy to keep clean and you just spray it with water if you feel it's drying out. I tried wood chips when i first got my tort (and also alfalfa pellets) and i found my Koopa couldn't stand up and walk on them properly, she just sorta scooted around on her belly! so soil is great as it's natural substrate for them and compacts so they can walk on it.
also they love to bury under to sleep.

i'm currently growning trays and trays full of weeds for koopa and in the mean time is being fed on florretti. i seem to live in the only 'weed' free part of the country! lol! a good place to get weed seeds is shelledwarriors.co.uk. just stick them in some soil in trays and watch them grow! perfect for people like me who are rubbish at identifying weeds.

hope this helps
katie

Katie, I think you'll find I live in the most weed fee part of the country!!!!! ALTHOUGH, last year the council planted 'wild' gardens over the park, there was dandies, poppys, erm, cant remember what else but there was lots! Im hoping they are gonna do it again this year, if not then I do struggle to find weeds. I spent a fortune on seeds from SW a while back and there were some toxic weeds in agmonst them! I did contact SW but they didn't want to know huh.gif so now I don't bother!

#7 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:39 PM

yes welcome to the world of trouble/hassle and stress free tort keeping!! (yeh right)!!!

Yes just to clarify, not all weeds are suitable!! But many are. Im new to this but so far dandelions, plantains, mallow, and sow thistle, clover are the easiest for me to identify!!!

#8 Guest_mickthered_*

Guest_mickthered_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:59 PM

OK thanks for the replies

The wood chips will be going in a day or two and will put some soil in will I be ok getting a bag of soil from a garden shop etc and using that any particular soil I should/ shouldn't get

Will have to keep the viv for a couple of months at least but will then look for an alternative
At the moment cant really move the light so is there any other way I can regulate the heat

Been using this for the last couple of days to feed her Florette Crispy Salad http://www.mysuperma...Salad_200g.html A bit puzzled as Dawn said dont use lettuce but you can use floretti bags of salad

Oh an scales are on order

#9 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:23 PM

There is nothing in lettuce, the floretti bags have different types of salad leaves. Your torts come from the Med, so as you can imagine, their natural diet is not lush green leaves, they live on the hardier weeds which is what we need to try and replicate.

Obviously at some times of the year they will have a few fruits and some lusher food, but generally its not like that, the place is dry and harsh.

Happy new tort wub.gif he's a handsome little fella
Lezlie xx

#10 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:36 AM

As you've got cats an indoor rabbit cage/dog crate will be a suitable indoor enclosure

#11 Guest_mickthered_*

Guest_mickthered_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:40 PM

Scales brought today and shes weighing in at 181 g

Dont know if thats right but at least it will give me an idea of any weight gain for next time

the second the lights went out she was straight to bed

#12 Guest_mickthered_*

Guest_mickthered_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:55 PM

Im now looking at getting something like this
http://www.petcentre...dProduct~45.htm

But struggling to work out some sort of lighting system

Iknow its not as good as a table but at least it would be better then the viv shes in at the moment

Anyone got any kind of suggestions and would it be suitable

#13 Guest_Stevei_*

Guest_Stevei_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (mickthered @ Feb 23 2010, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im now looking at getting something like this
http://www.petcentre...dProduct~45.htm

But struggling to work out some sort of lighting system

Iknow its not as good as a table but at least it would be better then the viv shes in at the moment

Anyone got any kind of suggestions and would it be suitable

Hi there this is the type I have
http://www.argos.co....Pet Accessories

all wire on the top rather than plastic I bought a clamp lamp from ebay item no:260549188359 16.99 + 2.49 postage

and a Mega ray bulb for heat & UVA/UVB from kimbos http://www.kimbosrep...e16074f1ad575b0

along with a digital thermometer & Nutrobal all from kimbos

I had to bend the bars at the top of the rabbit cage to raise the lamp high enough for the temps required you could also cut a hole in the top and use a clamp stand either buy or make, also a timer switch to turn lamp on and off when required .

as for soil I bought some from B&Q that was not good loads of like thread like balls of stuff appeared so bought some from Homebase instead screened top soil much better anda bag of pebbles. I think that about covers as much as I bought

#14 Guest_Stevei_*

Guest_Stevei_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:19 PM

just noticed Argos did not have any stock but there are some here http://www.zooplus.c...cage/83034#more
or if you can find something similar

#15 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:52 PM

Heres some of my set ups I've had...

#16 Guest_mickthered_*

Guest_mickthered_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:17 PM

Dawn how did you fix your light up is it hanging from the ceiling as its hard to see from the photos

I was thinking of getting some kind of adjustable floor lamp then trying to convert that

I also see that you have what only seems like one kind of light, at the moment I have two heat and uv would imagine the one light would be far easier to convert then two

#17 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:32 PM

Hi Mick,

I use combined lamps (heat & UV) - sooooooo much easier!!! I also use lamp stands although in these photo's I fixed brackets to the wall. The lamp stands are available from most pet/reptile shops. Here's a link...

http://www.petzoo.co...products_id=624

Shop around and look on places like Ebay, you may be able to get them cheaper. I have a small and large one and I would personally recommend you get the large one.

#18 Guest_Stevei_*

Guest_Stevei_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (Dawn @ Feb 24 2010, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heres some of my set ups I've had...

Dawn where did you get the small corner hide?

#19 Guest_Stevei_*

Guest_Stevei_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:45 PM

Hi mick I noticed you asking about the lamp the one I linked to is the same a combined heat/uv light they are more expensive to start with but cheaper in the long run as they last longer than the tubes

also I seen you asking about lamp stands if you can be bothered you could always make one from wood

I am quite lucky as my rabbit cage is quite high I had to bend a few of the bars to raise the lamp up a wee bit then secured the lamp with wire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users