Jump to content


Should I change box to fridge?


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BertieBassett_*

Guest_BertieBassett_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:26 AM

Morning!

Berts hibernation has gone amazingly well so far after all the hiccups!!!

After advice I decided to start him in a box at a friends house as we were away for 2 weeks and that way I could ensure he was OK. To refresh you he is approx 10 years old and weighs 1 kg - 17 cm long.
He is in a double box and in a cold room - temps are stable in the box at between 6 and 8 degrees. Went in on 24 Dec.

The intention was to the put him in the fridge to finish off on my return - however slightly distracted as my daughter was rushed into hospital for 2 weeks and I have been completley occupied with her and her recovery.

So he is fine in the boxes - my friend kindley checks him every 2 days _ I think I will struggle to get him back - she too has experienced the tortoise bond!

However - the forecast here in France is warming up - up to 17 degrees next week and I am concerned that he will start to wake up - which is only 8 weeks in.
I have set the fridge up in the same room as Bert - Would you consider putting him in the fridge ( 5 degrees) for the next 4 weeks or do you think it will mess up his system?

Thanks for your advice in advance.
Julie

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:45 AM

Hi Julie

If he were my tortoise, and the temps were getting that high, I would get him up. As trying two different methods of hibernation might cause other problems. Maybe try the fridge method next year.
Eight weeks is fine, longer would be better if you were in the UK, as temps are about 6c. But sunshine and outdoors will be great for him.

I am looking forward to 17c next week then, as I go out to visit my daughter and grandson in Trets on the 2nd of March. It has to be warmer than here:0)

#3 Guest_John_*

Guest_John_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:15 AM

:mellow: Yeah i agree with Sandy, dont start messing about at this time ,a couple of weeks either way should be no problem. Good luck John




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users