zippy weight..?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_avons82_*

Guest_avons82_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:48 PM

HI,

just looking at what weight some other torts have lost during hibernation... and zippy seems to have lost quite a bit... :unsure:

he was 566g (4 year old) at the beginning of WIND DOWN and now with a week to go in hibernation before hes out he weights 530g - thats a total loss of 36g. Its not near his 10% body weight so i wasnt too concerned, until now... :wacko:

Does that sound ok? Hes been loosing about 1g per week for the last few weeks, but hes due out on sat...

Any advice wiould be welcome as its mine (and his) first hibernation!

:wub:

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:05 PM

Hi Amey,

This was our first hibernatiion too, so I am not very experienced, but I would think Zippy's weight loss is fine.
He is a much bigger tort than mine and so will lose more weight, but has still only lost around 6%, which is similar to the proportion of body weight that my biggest lost. Baby Boo only lost 2g throughout, but he is only 50g and therefore lost 4% of his body weight. Bailey did 'worst' he lost nearly 12% of his 68g (8g) from start of wind down.

Paula x

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

Provided there are no swollen eyes, or any other health issues. I certainly wouldnt be worrying about that weight loss:0)

#4 Guest_avons82_*

Guest_avons82_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:42 PM

thanks everyone, phew!

cant wait for him to out - only 3 more days to go! weeeeeeeeeee! :rolleyes:

#5 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:31 AM

I have nearly all my tortoises up now, as I am off to France to visit my daughter and grandson next week. I wanted all of them up and eating before I went away. So life will be easier for my husband and neighbour. Who will be looking after them.
Just one male adult to get up.
Fingers crossed all but the two I have got up today, they are all eating!!

#6 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:41 AM

ooo only two days now amey..lol.. its so exciting isnt it,

when it came to waking my three lil ones up it felt like i was getting them all over again..lol..

hope zippy wakes up just fine and enjoys his warm baths xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users