Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:23 PM

Hey guys, this is my torty :)

Not sure if he/she's a boy or girl? Or how old he/she is?? :wub:

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:04 PM

Hi Samantha

The paperwork that came with your tortoise should say how old your tortoise is.
I would guess and only a guess 12-18mths old. And again a guess female as to the sex.
But you cant really say until they are about four for sure. Sometimes before if the males flash.

#3 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:20 PM

I'd say a bit older 18-24mths, but thats only going by mine who are aug 08and this one looks a bit bigger and more growth on shell. It's not like trees where you can count the rings, and they are all so different it's all quesswork. Short tail goes more to girl but that again is guesswork until they are getting to sexual maturity and things become more obvious :wub: :D

That said, lovely looking tort and nice shell, so chin tickles from me :wub:

Lezlie xx

#4 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:11 PM

Agree, I'd say girl and definatley 12mths +

#5 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:31 PM

Hi Samantha,

Great pics, thanks for sharing. :)

In another post you mentioned that she scrambles to get out of her bath? I notice that her bath tub is see through, she might not understand that she can't get to where she can see, this is one of the problems associated with vivs when the little guys can see through the glass but can't move forward, they just don't understand it... bless 'em. :wub:
It might be worth a go using a different tub, icecream ones are particularly good as you have to empty them first. It might not work, but icecream is good!

Paula x

#6 Guest_*Tinkerbell*_*

Guest_*Tinkerbell*_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:07 PM

Yes as paula said...try and use a solid/coloured lunchbox/tub so that torty cant see out :) xx

#7 Guest_Samantha_*

Guest_Samantha_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:17 PM

Hey everyone,

On the certificate it says "One live unmarked tortoise with a plastron length of less than 100mm. Hatched 2009." also says "Country of origin - Macedonia"

Is there a certain time of year tortoises hatch? So i'd know roughly when in 2009 she was born! Or is it different for every tort?

Ps she enjoys her baths now :) no clambering up the edges!

xx

#8 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:56 PM

could be spring or late summer.i had eggs last year in dec!!!yours prob spring.looks quite big for that though

#9 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:32 PM

If the cert has origin Macedonia then the paperwork was applied for when the tortoises get to the shop. Which will have no relationship to how old the tortoise really is. One of the problems buying from a shop. They have a pile of certs, and just take the next one in the pile, when they sell a tortoise.
I always put the dates on when applying for my certs. Which in turn are put on the yellow certs when I get them.

#10 Guest_Samantha_*

Guest_Samantha_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:06 PM

Thanks again everyone :)

Another thing... I am thinking of buying another tortoise to keep my little Macey (finally decided on a name for her) company. But this time buying from a breeder. Is it ok to buy a baby tortoise and put it in beside my tort? Or what would be the best thing to do? Do tortoises like company? I was thinking of getting a boy so they can fall in love :wub:

xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users