fighting males

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_chunk_*

Guest_chunk_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:29 PM

Hi there i have two 5yr old male hermanns. Jesus and Stevo, dont ask! All was great until they started fighting. Stevo is very aggresive so we separated them. This has become a problem though as come summer we are now going to need two outdoor gardens for them and not sure we have the space! Dont want to split a great space into two!
My ideal was for them to live and roam together. Is it just that they are not compatable? Are some males more aggresive than others? Would poor jesus be happier with another male or a female? Or would he be better of alone? Lots of questions i know! hope someone can guide me on the best thing to do by my beloved torts! xx

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:52 PM

If the two are the ones you have put on the other message, then its probably the larger one trying to show his dominance over the smaller one. If the fighting is happening that way.
It should stop when they have more room to get away from each other. And one is the dominant alpha male.
Are you sure they are both males?

#3 Guest_chunk_*

Guest_chunk_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:45 PM

Strangley enough its the smaller of the two that is aggressive. Space does not seem to be issue. Had lots of space last summer but stevo chased jesus everywhere. Def both males!

#4 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

Lol then you have a very confident little tortoise there then:0) He can dream!

#5 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:55 PM

This is often the case with hermanns. Juveniles will often pester and attack a settled adult male. Normally, given enough space this will settle after the dominance is established, but you need to keep a close eye out for injuries.
Good luck

#6 Guest_chunk_*

Guest_chunk_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:31 AM

Do you think it would help if we had some femails?

#7 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:10 PM

LOL adding females will just make it worse!

#8 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

No, they will fight more then as they will have a better reason and will not settle to a pecking order in this case.

#9 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

i have three males and i am pritty sure the two oldist ones would fight to the death!!!!if i let them so i have two tables.one male henrik is in by himself and the rest are in togetheir and live quite happy most of the time!!!!

#10 Guest_chunk_*

Guest_chunk_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:08 PM

thats interesting to hear. what age are your torts that get on?

#11 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:18 PM

hi i have three males and two females.the ones that live togitheir are.two ten year olds.male and female. one six year old male and a female not sure what her age is purly quessing seven or eight.there is a big diffrance in size of the males.i think that is how they dont really fight that much.my two big males are about the same size.and both think they are the boss!!!!

#12 Guest_chunk_*

Guest_chunk_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:37 PM

Think im going to give them a second chance this summer in there new garden. have them in seperate tables at mo. Just loved the idea of having them live together. But dont want them stressing eachother out! Will keep a close eye on them! Will be sad to see one of them go if thats what it comes to. xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users