george is biting her new friend

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_georges dad_*

Guest_georges dad_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:27 AM

Hey guys, just wanted a little info... yesterday I got george a new friend (thelma) who is also a hermann tort (although her shell seems to be a little red or pink-ish in colour). I introduced the pair in the tort table I have for them and george (the first tort I have had for almost a year) has taken to trying to eat thelma's legs and nails. Is there anything I can do to discourage this, why is she doing it, and is she likely to hurt thelma? they are both pretty young George was hatched june 08 and Thelma 09 (although thelma is bigger for some reason lol)

the other think I wanted to ask was about meal worm, thelma had tort pellets and meal worm in her tank and she loved the meal worm, just wondered if this was totally bad for them or if I could get it on a very rare occasion as a bit of a treat.

Thanks for your help

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:16 PM

Firstly if these tortoises came from different places, quarantining should have happened. If one has any bacteria or pathagons they pass onto the other, it can be deadly.

I would be worried if the shell is pink/reddish?
A picture would help to tell if this is just growth or septacimia.

Lol if you have a male and a female, then the male is doing what males do naturally. Trying to mate. At their ages its just practice. But do keep an eye out for any damage or stress he might be causing to the other tortoise.
Meal worms are high in proteins which is bad in tortoises, it can make their scutes raise, and make them lumpy. Petshops are reknown for bad feeding habits. The same applies to pelleted foods, again high in proteins.
Their diet should be weeds and flowers.

#3 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:34 PM

hiya i have three torts hatched in 08 but the last tort was boop (all pet shop bought from same shop) and boris for almost two days followed her around and tryed to eat her..lol. well it looked like that to us, betty just ignored her, but now they all get along great, just make sure thelma has some time out if your other tort is really really harrassing her,

ive only fed mine weeds and florette crispy salad when weeds are low but there main diet is PURE weeds, :)

size difference could depend on feeding as has been said petshops mainly feed pellet food or fruit (fruit can rot in there tummys :( )

a picture of thelma would be nice so the experinced tort keepers could have a peek and of course us lot aswell we love piccies..

#4 Guest_georges dad_*

Guest_georges dad_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

they both came from the same pet shop.... I don't know if that helps? I wasn't told to quaranteen them when I bought her, and I did state that I had another one bought from them.

Thanks about the feeding, they did say that the shouldn't really eat meal worm but I wasn't sure if I could let them have some very very occasionally as a little treat, but I will keep them on the weeds, its chickweeds at the moment coz that's all I have in my garden until more grow, heres a picture of thelma. she was hatched 09 and the pink-ish bit is on her underside pictured also.

#5 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:57 AM

im no expert only had mine since june and july last year but mine were said to be hatched 08 and thelma looks bigger than mine..lol.. her legs seem a lot thicker

what are her measurements?? my three are BOOP 6.6cm----- BORIS 7cm and BETTY 6.7cm

but saying that could the wrong food (before you get her ) make her huge already if the certs was right?? throwing this out to the long term tort keepers.. :)

and does that mean my certs could be wrong aswell ??

i dont think it matters if they came from same pet shop reason is thelma did not come from teh same batch as george if you get me,,

were as my three all came from the same batch/tank but the last one boop was the last one that came to our house as she was a early surprise anniversary present boris and betty i got within 2 days of eachother boop was the last one out of the batch but arrived 3 weeks later.

not sure on the pink on her shell sorry cant advise on that,

#6 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:10 AM

Sorry but it does matter if they come from a shop. As you have to be more aware of the possiblity of them having worm/protezoa loads. Shops buy from dealers mostly, and dealers dont worry how they keep tortoises. Whether they are mixed with other speices or not.
And most pet shops are not a lot better, they mix speices, they feed the wrong diet, and they give out incorrect information on the needs of tortoises.
They also can/do give out the incorrect paperwork to each tortoise. They just take the next cert in the pile to the tortoise they sell. So you could have a three year old, and the cert will say a year or 18mths old.
Hense the variation in sizes of tortoises compared to what the paperwork says.

I think the pink shell is either bruising or growth lines. But if you get any signs of your tortoise not eating, drinking, not moving around by coming out to bask. Then a visit to a vet might be in order.

#7 Guest_georges dad_*

Guest_georges dad_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:16 AM

thank you very much for your advise, thelma (with the pink on shell) is very active, loves her food and is constantly running up and down the ramps, I will keep a close eye on her for the symptoms you have described, and take her to the vet immidiately if she shows any.

The pet shop seems to be pretty good with the torts, they did say the food they had in there wasn't for long term use and they never mix species of torts, its one species per viv, they also told me that I should only have one species of tort as mixing them could make them ill, they advised me on a good mix of top soil and playing sand, and the correct temps... all in all with the advice I have been getting from here I would say they are one of the better places for torts which is why i went back to get my second one.

what should I be lookin for if they are to make each other ill as I haven't kept them appart it was too late as I had already put them together.

Thanks again for all your help... your advice is great and very helpful, I just want my little girls to be happy :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users