• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:34 PM

A little while ago this link was posted, I think by Oz,

http://www.graeca-ho...rariumFrame.htm

It showed some amazing ideas for tortoise housing, but was posted in German.

I have just learned that if you paste the link in the google box there is a magic little button that says translate!! You all probably knew that, but it is new to me!

I loved the pictures but it make a very good read too! :rolleyes:

There is some very interesting info on weeds too, especially on dried leaves. I could do with some help decyphering this info, and having it's meaning simply explained. I understood that weeds changed in their compounds? when dried therefore making them unsuitable for feeding.
However, after reading this table it seems to me that the only thing that changes is the water content?
I can see that weight wise you would need to feed significantly less otherwise you would be offerering too much of everything... but leaf for leaf, 1 dried V 1 fresh, aren't they the same?
Wouldn't this mean that if we were careful we could suppliment a poor winter diet with an occasional leaf that had been dried in summer so that the little guys got a more balanced and varied diet?

Paula x

#2 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:47 PM

Well, if that article says they are ok, Wolfgang too said they were ok, so I'd be inclined to follow their advice as both of these people have actually spent time observing torts in the wild and in my humble opinion I'd say they know what they are talking about :D

Its not as if you are going to be feeding them shed-loads of dried stuff, just enough to supplement what you can find.

BTW no, I didn't know you could translate on google either!!! Im gonna give it a try ;)

#3 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:33 PM

Hi Paula
When Editha talks about dried leaves she is referring to leaves that have dried naturally on the ground or in the sun. My torts eat these too. The dried food that you sometimes see for sale on ebay etc for torts is a different thing altogether and is fast dried to deliberately harvest - this is NOT good for torts and is probably what you are thinking of. Glad you found the translation link, I forgot to mention it when I posted the link.

#4 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:32 PM

Hi Sue, yeah I think Paula was talking about naturally dried leaves as opposed to the crap you get on ebay. We were talking about this last year as Wolfie covered it in his book.

#5 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

Ok - is it only me that cant get it to translate?

Pat :wub:

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:45 PM

Oooooh apologies Sue, I got muddled about who posted Edith's set up. :blink: I remembered Oz mentioned the price!

I also got confused about dried weeds (doesn't take much you know). I tried drying some sowthistle, nipplewort and catsear in a plastic greenhouse,

Posted Image

Then I read dried weeds couldn't be used and worried whether they would have got any harmful mould spoors during storage, and didn't use them just in case. So would this method work then? It would be handy for next year, after hibernation when there isn't so much around.

Pat, when you type it in the google box tick the pages from the UK box then when the heading comes up, to the right of the heading, it says translate this page?

Well it does on mine!! :rolleyes:

Paula x

#7 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:52 PM

[Pat, when you type it in the google box tick the pages from the UK box then when the heading comes up, to the right of the heading, it says translate this page?

Well it does on mine!! rolleyes.gif

Paula x
[/quote]

Done it thanks - at least I dont only have the pictures to look at now!

Pat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users