early morning sun or late afternoon sun?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:49 PM

All

The bottom of my garden where my new tortoise pen is going to go gets shade at different parts of the day and is creating a problem with where to put the new outdoor enclosure. Is it better that they get the early morning sun on the cold frame to start their metabolism or later in the day? When they are bigger (and if we are still living here) it wont be a problem, because they will have access to all of it.

Patx

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:26 PM

I would say early morning Pat, that way they'll be warmed up nicely and can go hunting for weeds. Temperatures are usually cooler first thing in the morning than later on so would think they could do with the heat more then than later.

Paula x

#3 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:22 PM

I would say the same, morning sun to get them going. Once they have warmed up they can go for a while, whereas if they dont get sun till late it'll be dark while they are still active. Just my thoughts though, I am not an expert by any means.

Is it just those options? Mine don't get the morning sun where there outside enclosure is so I warm them up on the table before going out a bit later. Our garden is not secure enough for them to be out when we are not here so it's easy for me to do it this way.

Lezlie xx

#4 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:01 PM

Mine like to warm up under the lamps and then follow the sun round for the rest of the day - depends where your lamps are going to be really. If you intend them to go to bed in the cold frame at night then this might be better to have the late afternoon sun, so they are already in situ so to speak. Whatever you decide, they will choose the opposite ;)

#5 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:47 PM

Is it going to be the only home- therfore have lamps etc? in that case the Wizzasmum has a good point, lamps to get them going then a bit of later sun to keep it going.

and you will want to change it as soon as its finished!!!!! :D its the law of sod!!
xx

#6 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:12 PM

Hi

Thanks all for your comments. Yes it will eventually be their only home but I have electricity at that end of the garden so they can have a lamp for late afternoons to boost the temps. Thinking about it - I can put some spotlights down there also so that it doesnt get overcast. The garden is as secure as it could be and closed in on all sides by good neighbours. Agree about the "Law of Sod" Lezlie - hopefully it will be built with as much flexibility as possible - I want to put them outside in May if it is warm enough!

Pat x

#7 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

Just my opinion but I would not be boosting temps at the end of the day Pat. In the wild if the sun is not out then they retire earlier, lots of mine do this even when the sun is out, so to put lamps on late afternoon could lead to some confusion for them (IMHO).
Hope this helps.

#8 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:20 PM

Yes thanks x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users