Think ive been sold a sick tortoise

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_flatline_*

Guest_flatline_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:04 PM

My wife and I bought a pair of Hermann tortoise's yesterday and think there maybe something wrong with them.

The back legs are always out and look out of position,.I have not seen them eat or drink and seem very sluggish in general.

I know they are slow moving but they look like they are out of energy all the time and moving is an effort.

Atm they are in a viv until the sealent dries on the homemade tortoise table.

Im going to see if i can get them into a vets tomorrow and see what they say but any advice would be appreciated smile.gif

#2 Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*

Guest_Hermie + Pebble_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:41 PM

Not sure what your level of knowledge is, so the following is basic soz but...

Did you buy them from a breeder or pet shop? and how old are they?
Have you given them a bath- they must keep the fluid levels up as they can dehydrate.
Have you got a heat lamp for them, they need to have heat to move around
What have you offered as food?
What seems wrong with there legs? young torts have skinny little legs and a dehydrated tort will have trouble getting their belly off the floor to move around, could be lots of reasons why your torts are sluggish/ slow. they have just moved and alot of torts will take a while to adapt. We need more info to get a better idea of the problems if in fact there is any.
any chance you could post some pics?

Lezlie xx

#3 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (flatline @ Mar 12 2010, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My wife and I bought a pair of Hermann tortoise's yesterday and think there maybe something wrong with them.

The back legs are always out and look out of position,.I have not seen them eat or drink and seem very sluggish in general.

I know they are slow moving but they look like they are out of energy all the time and moving is an effort.

Atm they are in a viv until the sealent dries on the homemade tortoise table.

Im going to see if i can get them into a vets tomorrow and see what they say but any advice would be appreciated smile.gif

hi i was sold a sick tortoise also once.mines sounds a lot like yours.the back legs were very week toe nails very long hardly ate anything for months
i took her to the vet and he gave her an x ray and her bones were very very week.the vet said it looked like MBD.almost two years on with a lot of good care this tort has improved 100%but still not rite but love her all the same.the best thing you can do is get it to a good vet as soon as you can
can i ask where you got them?i have bought from pet shops and breeders and the diffrance is unbeavable!!!
a few pics wold be nice

#4 Guest_flatline_*

Guest_flatline_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE (Hermie + Pebble @ Mar 12 2010, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure what your level of knowledge is, so the following is basic soz but...

Did you buy them from a breeder or pet shop? and how old are they?
Have you given them a bath- they must keep the fluid levels up as they can dehydrate.
Have you got a heat lamp for them, they need to have heat to move around
What have you offered as food?
What seems wrong with there legs? young torts have skinny little legs and a dehydrated tort will have trouble getting their belly off the floor to move around, could be lots of reasons why your torts are sluggish/ slow. they have just moved and alot of torts will take a while to adapt. We need more info to get a better idea of the problems if in fact there is any.
any chance you could post some pics?

Lezlie xx

They are 3 years old.
Bought them from a pet shop,they came with the papers.I know the shop had just got them in the day before.
Was planning on giving them a bath tomorrow.
I have a 75w heat bulb and a zoo med 10.0 uv bulb.
Rockets leaves and mixed salad,i go t a list ofplants from another site but they were all weeds.I have ProReptile salad booster which i was planning on using 2 to 3 times a week until i can get a proper supply of weeds/plants.
When they are resting the rear legs face backwards,they dont look like a normal rsting position.Also they have quite long nails,maybe they have not done so much wondering?Ill take some pics tomorrow.

The viv right now is @ just over 21c,during the day its @ 28 ish.

Inbetween posts they have been eating for the first time which is good.

If the vet says there is something wrong I would want my money back,but at the same time i would not want them to go back to the pet shop.

Thanks for the replies and if you need any more info let me know smile.gif

#5 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:02 AM

it is quite normal for torts to strech their legs behind them when they are basking.well all mine like to do it.how do your torts walk?do they hold their shell of the ground when they walk or do they drag their shell along the ground?you may be worrying about nothing,they could just need a little time to settle

#6 Guest_flatline_*

Guest_flatline_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:29 AM

They both do it while basking,its the little one that has a laboured walk.The bigger one seems to be walking fine.

They might just need time to settle which is what i originally said to my wife,but in our book it says it could be a sign of problems.

I think ill leave them for the weekend and see if they improve,if not il lbe able to get them to the vets on monday.

Ill give them a bath tomorrow and see if that helps smile.gif

Thx again smile.gif

#7 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:37 AM

Hi, welcome to the forum biggrin.gif

It sounds pretty much like normal behaviour to me, but obviously if you're worried then take them to a vet - go with your gut instinct.

The temps in the viv need tweeking - it needs to be between 30 - 35degrees under the basking lamp and 20 - 25degrees in the cool end - these temps are hard to achieve in a viv but unless the temps are right the torts won't be able to thrive.

#8 Guest_flatline_*

Guest_flatline_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:11 PM

They will be in a tortoise table by the end of the day so i will post some pics,ill be able to get the temps sorted to smile.gif

They seem more active today so hopefully it was just me being worried smile.gif

#9 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:42 PM

Probably! rolleyes.gif but unfortunatly you will always worry about them!

Cant wait to see the pics!! When you set up the heat lamp, try for a temp of around 30 - 35 degrees under the lamp and because they are in a table the rest of the table will be fine temp wise. Provided they are in a room where temps dont fall below say 15 degrees they won't need any overnight heat either. The drops in temp do them good rolleyes.gif

#10 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:34 PM

Hi there, welcome to the forum. smile.gif

Congratulations on your new additions. wub.gif

What sort of substrate do you have the little guys on? If it's not tort friendly it might be making walking difficult?

Paula x

#11 Guest_flatline_*

Guest_flatline_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:34 AM

They were on paper but now they are on coconut terrain,i was worried when i first put them on it as the chunks are quite big but they seem to walk fine on it smile.gif

#12 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:29 PM

hi welcome to the forum.

coconut terrian hmm will have to look that one up i havent heard of it, most of us use topsoil for the substrate or 80/20mix topsoil and playsand as the lil guys like to dig,

if there claws are long make sure there are some nice big stones for them to walk on to get there claws down one of mine had long claws but after a few months soon wore down

back legs sound like a normal basking/resting postion i know my three do it..lol.. but as has been said peace of mind for your wife and yourself a trip to the vt can do no harm just make sure its a good vet that knows about torts.

it can take a while for the lil ones to settle were are they orginally from? (mine are pet shop bought but there place of birth is macedonia..)
now im not sure how it works do they travel from say were mine came from straight into pet shops or are they held elsewere then shipped to pet shops i have no idea but now you can see why they need time to settle because of the travel and maybe how they were kept during this....

mine took from between 1 day to 2 weeks probably to settle in,

look forward to seeing pictures what have you named them?

#13 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:34 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum,
i have never heard of coconut terrain,i use top soil and slate for basking,my torts stretch there legs out while basking they look so relaxed i envy them,not a care in the world.
Jayne,H and Becky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users