Posted Image

I can get the temp of anywhere in the enclosure with the digi thermometer

Posted Image

UV bulb

Posted Image

Posted Image

All the switches and thermostat

Posted Image

The one in front shortly burried itself after taking this pic.

Posted Image

Let me know what you think or if you see anything wrong with it :)

#2 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:22 PM

Looks good, well done!

For the heat you are better of using a white bulb, you can either buy a proper heat bulb or just get a spot bulb from a supermarket. The tort at the back in the last pic looks like a male, do you know what the other is? How old are they?

#3 Guest_flatline_*

Guest_flatline_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:07 PM

Thought they were proper heat bulbs?

Both sold as female:)

#4 Guest_akaha_*

Guest_akaha_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:45 PM

Hello Dawn

could you tell why it is better to use a white bulb ???

Andrea

#5 Guest_flatline_*

Guest_flatline_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:59 PM

Ive swapped it for a white basking bulb,im getting much better temps now :)

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

Someone's been busy. :D The little guys are gonna just luuurve you!

One thing... isn't there always.. You could by a reflector for your UV strip light, it just clips on, then all those UV rays will be directed into the enclosure as opposed to all directions.

I have never seen the substrate you are using before, is that the coconut stuff?

Paula x

#7 Guest_jackiedots_*

Guest_jackiedots_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:25 PM

You have obviously put a lot of thought and hard work into making your tort table. I think its great and a super size for them.
I am pretty much of a newby here because I have only had my two Hermanns since the beginning of January but most everything I have read about substrates on the forums seems to lean toward topsoil or topsoil / playsand mix. I was advised to change to this and I put in an 80% topsoil / 20% playsand mix and my two love it. They bury themselves when and where they want to and seem really comfortable on it. I have one area where it is about 6" deep. I think the soil is more like it would be in their natural environment. I don't know if anyone else on the forum will be adding to this topic and maybe agreeing with me but whatever you choose I wish you lots of happy hours watching them. Welll done on your carpentry skills ( an electrician also by the looks of it !! )

Regards
Jackie

#8 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:03 PM

I do agree with Jackie, most of us use topsoil or topsoil mixed with children's playsand, I haven't heard of the coconut stuff so can't comment on it's suitability, all I can say is that most of us don't use it! :rolleyes: Perhaps at the next table top change you may consider topsoil, the little guys really do like it. We are learning all the time and making adjustments to our enclosures as we do. :)

Paula x

#9 Guest_flatline_*

Guest_flatline_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:27 PM

thx for the comments :)

I was going to use top soil but i didnt want to put it on bare wood,so when i change it ill ad some plastic covering so i canuse top soil :)

#10 Guest_flatline_*

Guest_flatline_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:29 PM

Ill have a look at the pet shops near me and see if they have them,do you think its worth getting one for the heat bulb to?

#11 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

I've never heard of one for a heat bulb, it isn't something I've read that other's use either.... :wacko:

If such a thing does exsist please let us know. :D

Paula x

#12 Guest_*Tinkerbell*_*

Guest_*Tinkerbell*_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:14 AM

Hi :)
Is the heat lamp reflector just like the reptile lamp shade thing?

Regards, Emily x

#13 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:34 PM

Probably is. LOL! :rolleyes: I have a dome thingy but didn't think of it as a reflector. :wacko: :rolleyes:

Paula x

#14 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:24 PM

Hi Great table, I am sure you will have hours of fun!

When I put topsoil in mine, I brought a selection of different sized gravel trays from the garden centre so I could water the soil to stop it becoming too dusty. A plastic table cloth or polythene sheet from a builders yard under the trays makes sure the wood stays dry.

Pat c

#15 Guest_Ellie Rose_*

Guest_Ellie Rose_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:11 PM

Yes that dome thingy is a lamp reflector (: should have a silver/white underside which reflects the light! So it is doing the job without you knowing Paula! hehe :P

Ellie

#16 Guest_tortoise09_*

Guest_tortoise09_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:21 PM

hiya its a great little table and your tortoise are lovely but can i just say the uv light is far to high up it need too come down abit as it for there bones and where you put it they not getting anything out of it hope this help and hope you dont mind me saying

#17 Guest_MrsG_*

Guest_MrsG_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:02 PM

Hi. Great table - looks like you spent a lot of time on it :)

Where did you get your heat bulb fitting from? Just been to b&q to look for one but can't find a 90 degree one to make the bulb point directly down. Any ideas?

Thanks

#18 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:48 PM

Hi MrsG, Flatline hasn't been on for a few months now :blink: However the light holder they've used looks like the arcadia lamp holder http://www.surreypet...er-bracket.html Hope this is of some help to you. Not sure if this would be suitable for a cobined bulb though if thats what you plan on using???
Bet your counting down the days till you get your baby now x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users