outside temps

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

just wondering about air temps and ground temps for the torts outside this year.up here its pritty poor air temps but the ground temps do get a lot higher.so is it oc to go with ground temps or is it air temps we should be looking for?
thanks
bruce

#2 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (brucefairweather @ Mar 27 2010, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just wondering about air temps and ground temps for the torts outside this year.up here its pritty poor air temps but the ground temps do get a lot higher.so is it oc to go with ground temps or is it air temps we should be looking for?
thanks
bruce

It's neither Bruce, a tortoise can be outdoors on a really cold day and still be quite warm if the sun is shining. I have a photo of a tort that went out when it was snowing (her choice). On the other hand a tortoise can be out on a really warm day (where we would wear less) and still be cold if it is cloudy. It's to do with thermoregualtion not temps. The shell is designed (for want of a better word) to attract heat from the sun and to store it for a certain time. Mine have been out all day today and picked most of the dandies out of the lawn.
Hope this helps

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:27 PM

Three of my adult tortoises ventured out today Bruce, and its far from really warm. We did have some sunshine which drew them out:0)
It does depend a lot on where you live and of course the temps and sunshine.

#4 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:18 PM

my lot were out for a wee while today aswell about an hour then the weather turned.i live rite at the top of scotland and we can have the four seasons in one day!!!got my green house finnished last week then wee got a storm now the green house is no more!!!!i thought the worst of the weather was gone for the year1but have been making a strong wooden shed with glass paneles on the front and roof.
i will get them outside this year!!!!!

#5 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:33 PM

Bruce you did well getting your greenhouse up. I'm sure the torts will get a great benefit out of it.

When the sun shines, the tortoise can get warm and active even if the air isn't warm. I haven't had mine outside yet this year but I will soon.

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:36 PM

Hi Bruce,

When you have time could you take some pictures of 'plan B' so that we can pinch, errrrm, I mean share, your ideas? smile.gif

I have submitted plans for my torty shed to my father in law who has recently retired and is conveniently looking for something to keep him busy!! Oooooh the things I can do with him in a month!! laugh.gif

Paula x

#7 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

Bruce just seen on the news that 'wintry' weather is set to hit us again this week, with snow forecast in Scotland and on the high ground!!!! rolleyes.gif

#8 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:41 PM

Well I know the weather has been bad, I came back from France last Saturday, and it snowed in the South of France. Ok it only lasted a day, but they rarely get snow.

#9 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:40 PM

well it snowed and snowed today now its raining and melting :) i think we mite be on the verge of the next ice age up here!!!!!this time last year my son jordan and me were out watching the lizards down our strath now its in three feet of snow!!!!i hope they are oc
wheres the spring!!!

#10 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:51 PM

Was thinking of you, Jonathon and Alan earlier!!! Hope you and your torts are all ok!!!

Apparently we are on day 4 of spring....... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

#11 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:58 PM

I live in the city but my workplace is six miles out and this week the city was just wet and cold but the place I work had snow. Quite a lot on the high ground. We could hardly believe it snowing again this year after what we've had.

So outdoor temps are down to about 2C again though the forecast is for a whole 6C on Saturday!

#12 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:09 AM

YAY! get the speedo's out Jon!!!!!!! :cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users