Help/ advice needed!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_debbierowe74_*

Guest_debbierowe74_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:51 PM

Hi
I have two 4 year old hermann tortoises but have recently noticed that one of them has a reddish colour to their shell by their tail and appears to be going a bit soft. They are both fed the same thing and are regularly bathed. They are in a tortoise table with 6 trays containing different substances for them to explore - stones, sand, top soil, small pebbles, with heat lamp and UV light

is this something serious?
I was told not to over fed them as this leds to problems with their shell but now worried that i have been under feeding them - i've had them since they hatched and got them from a breeder. They normally have an assortment of wild plants with the occasional bit of carrot, lettuce etc

please help!!
unsure.gif unsure.gif

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:58 PM

Hi Debbie,

One of the headings at the top of the page is named Jackson Ratio, you can use this as a guide to see how your torts are doing weight wise for their size. It is a good idea to weigh them regularly to make sure they stay on track. You should be aiming for weight gains in the region of 2-3g per month. By weighing them regularly you can increase/decrease their food intake as neccessary.

I am certainly not an expert on medical issues, and do not wish to alarm you, but my eldest tortoise had shell rot a couple of years ago, she had pinkish tinges on her shell, it also has a smell to it. It is treatable but does need to be seen sooner rather than later by the vet. Hettie was on oral antibiotics for quite some weeks before having the rot cut out and her shell filled with epoxy resin. Fingers crossed it won't be this, but pleeeeease get torty checked out.
Here are a couple of links that might give you more info on the subject.

http://www.tortoiset...s/shellrot.html
http://www.veterinar...p...;A=1371&S=4

Let us know how you get on.

Paula x

#3 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:09 PM

Hi Debbie, have returned your PM wink.gif

#4 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (debbierowe74 @ Mar 28 2010, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi
I have two 4 year old hermann tortoises but have recently noticed that one of them has a reddish colour to their shell by their tail and appears to be going a bit soft. They are both fed the same thing and are regularly bathed. They are in a tortoise table with 6 trays containing different substances for them to explore - stones, sand, top soil, small pebbles, with heat lamp and UV light

is this something serious?
I was told not to over fed them as this leds to problems with their shell but now worried that i have been under feeding them - i've had them since they hatched and got them from a breeder. They normally have an assortment of wild plants with the occasional bit of carrot, lettuce etc

please help!!
unsure.gif unsure.gif

A pink tinge to the shell can be septicaemia which can be fatal. If the tort is eating and behaving normally then it's probably not and is common just after hibernation. Draw a line around the area with pencil and see if it spreads beyond the line. If it does and the tort stops eating then contact a vet ASAP for antibiotics.

#5 Guest_debbierowe74_*

Guest_debbierowe74_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (wizzasmum @ Mar 28 2010, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A pink tinge to the shell can be septicaemia which can be fatal. If the tort is eating and behaving normally then it's probably not and is common just after hibernation. Draw a line around the area with pencil and see if it spreads beyond the line. If it does and the tort stops eating then contact a vet ASAP for antibiotics.

OMG - poor little thing!!
this is awful and i'm worried sick - the other one is ok and they are both eating

what can cause this - is it something i've done or not done?

#6 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:34 PM

I agree with Sue.

Better you are informed of all the things it could be, that way you can take the appropriate action.
It also could be just new shell growth. As well as shell rot or septacimia.
A picture might help.

#7 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:37 PM

I agree with Sue.

Better you are informed of all the things it could be, that way you can take the appropriate action.
It also could be just new shell growth. As well as shell rot or septacimia.
A picture might help.
I am reasonably sure its nothing you have done. Shell rot can happen if the shell is damaged in some way, such as males consistantly bashing, or falling. Septacimia is an underlying infection of some sort.

#8 Guest_debbierowe74_*

Guest_debbierowe74_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:44 PM

Here are some pictures - i can't believe this is happening. They are cleaned out regularly and bathed and fed - when its warm, they go outside in a run that my husband made them.
Still don't even know if they are boys or girls so they are called Spot and Smudge.

Attached Files

#9 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (debbierowe74 @ Mar 28 2010, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here are some pictures - i can't believe this is happening. They are cleaned out regularly and bathed and fed - when its warm, they go outside in a run that my husband made them.
Still don't even know if they are boys or girls so they are called Spot and Smudge.

That looks like bruising Debbie. Have they recently come out of hibernation as their systems are not so good at fighting things at this time. Don't get too worried if they are otherwise behaving normally. If they are treated with antibiotics when not needed you can end up having to give probiotics, especially after hibernation. I would keep them in for the time being so they do not come into contact with damp ground etc, at least until you see how they go on. I had this last year with one of my female hermanns. She was gravid andhad been bashing into everything and caused broken bloodvessels. The vet was loathe to treat her as she didnot seem unwell and was right in the diagnosis and returned to normal with no help.
Once when one of my torts had a terrible accident (not my fault it happened at the vets) he was terribly bruised for many weeks. I'm lucky still to have him.

#10 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:01 PM

Debbie I have forwarded your pics to Terry as per email

#11 Guest_debbierowe74_*

Guest_debbierowe74_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (Dawn @ Mar 28 2010, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Debbie I have forwarded your pics to Terry as per email

Thank you all for your replies - i'm going out of my mind with worry

Going to phone the vets and try and get in there ASAP - they do have rocks/pebbles in their enclosure i guess they could have bashed together on them but others have said its septecemia - the shell near its tail is a little soft but he/ she has been eating

#12 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:47 PM

A visit to a tortoise vet will certainly put your mind at rest as to what the problem is.
Fingers crossed for you and your tort.

#13 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:50 PM

I'm sorry but I would rather err on the side of caution...yes you can sit around and wait to see what happens but, what if you did that and god forbid when you did decide to act on it, it was too late? Whereas if you take him to a vet and the vet says its just bruising/growth etc then you have wasted a consultation fee (15 - 30) but at least you still have a tort.....

I rest my case your honour! wink.gif

#14 Guest_debbierowe74_*

Guest_debbierowe74_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:56 PM

I know! i would never forgive myself - i dont want her to die least of all through a painful death especially if i can do something to prevent it

a trip to the vet it is - please keep your fingers crossed!

i'll let you know how we get on - thanks again
x

#15 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:08 PM

Hi Debbie,

I have emailed you a reply that I just got back from Terry, please read it as I think it is very good advice - the best you will ever get in my opinion!

Keep in touch wub.gif

#16 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (debbierowe74 @ Mar 28 2010, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know! i would never forgive myself - i dont want her to die least of all through a painful death especially if i can do something to prevent it

a trip to the vet it is - please keep your fingers crossed!

i'll let you know how we get on - thanks again
x

Make sure it is an exotics vet as your run of the mill dog or cat vet will likely have no idea and just prescribe to be on the safe side. If he does then ask about probiotics too dry.gif

#17 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:47 PM

Hi, sorry I'm not equipped to make any comment on your tortoises but I do agree about finding a vet that really knows about reptiles / tortoises, or at least one that will contact someone with more expertise to assist.

I took my torts to the local vet so he could work out the dosage for worming treatment. He was lovely, and careful with the dosages but he didn't have a clue about tortoises. In this case, he wouldn't have pretended to know but some vets might feel they have to come up with something. Its not unknown for them to provide vitamin injections with little sound basis for doing it.

#18 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:14 AM

Great information about vets from Jonathan and Sue. A vet who keeps tortoises themselves is great too.

#19 Guest_debbierowe74_*

Guest_debbierowe74_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

Hi all,

thank you for all your advice. After a trip to the vet, all seems well. The vet said that it looked like bruising and would take a while to heal but apart from that all is well.

Thanks again

#20 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

Awwwww that's great news. biggrin.gif Happy to hear tortie is on the mend! wub.gif

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users