Picture taken 28.3.10

Paula x

#2 stevemel

stevemel

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

Hey Paula I think this is in my garden or what I have looks very much like it. My question is this edible or not?????? If it is I want to add it to Harry's diet.
Thanks Mel and Harry x x

#3 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

DO NOT FEED!!! :doh:

It's not edible as it's mildly toxic.... however the odd nibble should not harm your tortoise so long as it doesn't have access to it on a regular basis. I'd advise that you keep it well away from your outdoor enclosure because it spreads like wildfire once established, plus it has been recorded as responsible for tortoise fatalities.

#4 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

My garden has loads of this flipping stuff, especially in the areas that have been flooded. A couple of weeks ago I pulled up all the bits near the tort run, it's a nuisance. :rolleyes:

#5 stevemel

stevemel

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

Thanks guys glad I checked before hand Harry doesn't go in our back garden as its a mess but I pick the dandelion leafs and flowers. We try and take to the park when the weather is nice but have to be careful of dogs and other things.

#6 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

Hi Steve, Mel and Harry,
It is important that you use the links we provide you with. Here is a link we mentioned previously. It lets you know which plants are safe for 'Harry' to eat.

http://www.thetortoi...database_14.asp

Hope this helps. Best of luck. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :)

#7 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

We previously discussed buttercups in relation to Doris: http://www.hermann-t...opic=7516&st=20 so definitely no I am afraid.

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:59 AM

hi mel it is quite hard at first getting to know whats good weeds and whats bad have you thought of growing your own food in pots or your garden, then at least you would know every thing that grows harry can eat :) http://www.ebay.co.u...=item53ebc8a10a

#9 stevemel

stevemel

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:58 AM

Thanks everyone will look into start growing our own food for Harry thanks for the link Karen very helpful!!!!!!!! x

#10 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

Hi Mel,
Alternatively you could find a safe, unsprayed source of edible weeds and transplant them into some pots or into your garden. That way you wouldn't have to wait for them to grow and you would have a ready supply. Hope this helps. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users