Very worried!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:21 AM

Hi everyone,

I know there was a post on here not so long ago about the possibility of shell rot but I am very concerned about Nettle! She seems fine, is eating well and is very active all day long, she get a bath everyday as well. However, the shell just by her tail area seems to be quite thin and flexible and is a slightly different colour to the rest of her! I have attached some pictures for you all to see, some of her, some of her bottom and some of the area I am concerned about! Not sure how clear they are! Any advice would be much appreciated!

Louise

xxx

Attached Files

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:41 PM

Hi Louise

Unless you mark the area you are talking about, its hard to say. From looking at the pictures, I cant see any shell rot.

#3 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for your reply! I am not that good with computers! The bit I am concerned about is the area around her tail, it just looks different from the rest of her!

xxx

#4 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

I have done my best to outline the area I am concerned about! Hope this works!

xxx

Attached Files

#5 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:24 PM

Not easy I know, but as far as I can see, there is no shell rot. Shell rot shows itself as broken/flaking shell or an pink/red splodge. I cant see anything like that.

If you mean the shaping of the shell, then thats individual to your tortoise:0)

#6 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (wuz06 @ Mar 31 2010, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have done my best to outline the area I am concerned about! Hope this works!

xxx

Do you mean where it looks as though the shell is faded towards the edges? If this is soft or flexible as you put it then there cold be a problem. Do you supplement her diet with nutrobal and do you have an up to date uvb source?

#7 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for having a look and for your reply Sandy,

Sue, it is the area that you mentioned that I am on about, I thought it may have been faded because of growth but it is much thinner then the rest of her shell and if I lightly press on it, it does appear to be soft. I sprinkle her food with Nutrabol daily and she has a 120watt combined heat and UV MegaRay bulb, the temps are usually 31-34 at the hot end and 21-23 at the cool end!

Should I take her the vet or is it something that she is lacking and I am not providing for her? I do try to ensure she gets a variety of weeds and flowers (even though it snowed again today where I live angry.gif ) But i have been using Florette salad leaves a lot.

Thanks for all you help,

xxx

#8 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:06 PM

Sue, it is the area that you mentioned that I am on about, I thought it may have been faded because of growth but it is much thinner then the rest of her shell and if I lightly press on it, it does appear to be soft. I sprinkle her food with Nutrabol daily and she has a 120watt combined heat and UV MegaRay bulb, the temps are usually 31-34 at the hot end and 21-23 at the cool end!

Should I take her the vet or is it something that she is lacking and I am not providing for her? I do try to ensure she gets a variety of weeds and flowers (even though it snowed again today where I live angry.gif ) But i have been using Florette salad leaves a lot.

Thanks for all you help,

xxx

#9 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (wuz06 @ Mar 31 2010, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for all you help,

xxx

Not sure how old she is but there is a condition in young ones where the shell can suddenly go soft as calcium is not being absorbed. It's not very commeon though and is usually due to a lack of nutrients. The very edge of the shell is translucent and this is normal as it is simply new keratin growth. Any peculiarities above this are not normal though asn ought to be seen by an experienced reptile vet - I say this as many vets will do a bit of guess work if they are not sure, which can cause more harm than good. If she is having daily nutrobal and an up to date uvb lamp then she should not be experiencing this IMHO. If the lamp is old then it may not be giving the correct measurement of UVB but if supplemented then this should not really matter either way.

#10 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (wizzasmum @ Apr 1 2010, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure how old she is but there is a condition in young ones where the shell can suddenly go soft as calcium is not being absorbed. It's not very commeon though and is usually due to a lack of nutrients. The very edge of the shell is translucent and this is normal as it is simply new keratin growth. Any peculiarities above this are not normal though asn ought to be seen by an experienced reptile vet - I say this as many vets will do a bit of guess work if they are not sure, which can cause more harm than good. If she is having daily nutrobal and an up to date uvb lamp then she should not be experiencing this IMHO. If the lamp is old then it may not be giving the correct measurement of UVB but if supplemented then this should not really matter either way.

Thanks for your help Sue, I have no idea where I would be with out this forum!

Nettle is nearly 6 months old and I have had her since January which is also as long as I have had her bulb so I am not sure if it is the bulb! Perhaps it could be from feeding her a diet of mainly florette leaves when the weather was particularly bad, but she has always had nutrabol and she also has cuttlefish that I catch her nibbling on quite a lot of the time!

It is not something I feel comfortable waiting and seeing about so I am going to have a scout round for a decent reptile vet and get her checked out I think. I just dont want to wait and see for it to get worse! blink.gif

Thanks for all your help!

Louise

xxx

#11 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:45 PM

Hi Louise

A vet that is highly reccommended in our area is Hannah Bould of county vets 9 Lawton road,stoke On Trent
telephone no o1270882112,ask for Hannah.
Best of luck
Jayne

#12 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:07 PM

Hi Jayne!

Thanks for that! Its always good to have someone that comes recommended! I would be well and truly lost without this forum!

Louise

xx

#13 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:23 PM

Hi Louise

Sorry to contradict Jayne, but I think you will find that Hannah has now moved to Vets for Pets in Cannock. I took Dora and Phoebe to see her in December. She really is an excellent tort vet. I assume she is still there. I haven't heard any different. Their number is 01543 424 100. You can also e-mail them at cannock@vets4pets.com

I hope this helps.

Gail
xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users