Lungworm...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:25 AM

Morning all!

I've just read an advert in the paper saying that dogs can get lungworm from eating snails/slugs...would this also apply to tortoises as well then? (nooooooo Paula I don't mean if dogs eat tortoise's!!! :rolleyes: If tortoises eat slugs (which they do!) are they at risk from lungworm too?

Time for me to order the Nemaslug me thinks... :blink2:

#2 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

Hi Dawn. I had a look around the forum archives and the risk of lungworm from slugs is mentioned here and there although nobody reports a definite case of it. Lungworm is a kind of round worm and panacur is effective against most round worms. I think in theory it could happen.

When I was lookng for that information I saw a post from a breeder saying they had twice lost a yearling tort because of slugs. Once a kind of choking and the other unexplained but slug related.

I always remove the slugs from the enclsoure when I see them. People say its a protein source and that tortoises choose to eat them but in my view its one of those things they wouldn't see very often in their natural environment. There wouldn't be much by way of slugs in the south of france because its just too hot and dry. I've got millions of them here.

#3 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

I still cant believe a tortoise would actually eat something like a slug!! I would be more worrying about something eating Nettle at the moment she is that tiny! :laugh:

I will keep a look out in the garden in future!

xx

#4 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

I have only ever seen evidence of one of mine (Grace) eating a slug...she had slime coming out of her mouth and after lots of washing and patience she was soon back to normal and able to eat!!! lol!

Unfortunatly I too seem to have the whole of England's slug/snail population in my garden - particulary in the enclosure!!!!

#5 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:31 PM

Euuuuk, I'm not very good with slugs, I pop them on a plastic childrens spade and ping them over the fence. aaaand... no Dawn the children are not made of plastic!! LOL!!

Paula x

#6 ditzyangeluk

ditzyangeluk

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

Apparently, there has been an abundance of slugs this year, due to weather last Summer and the Winter.  This of course causes problems with Lungworm should they be ingested to name just one problem.

I read this somewhere and have just Googled ... use Copper Strips.  The slimey creatures won't cross the line apparently ... worth a try anyway

#7 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:11 PM

One of my young females always eats a slug when she gets a chance little monkey and has never done her any harm!aslong as you keep worming regular with panacur then they should be fine!in the wild tortoise's will occasionally eat carrion or other dead animals so its not a complete shock that they eat slugs!last year i found mine eating a dead frog!
Regards matt

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:39 PM

Not sure why old posts are being resurrected and all about slugs lol  Apparently reptiles are not affected in the same way as mammals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users