- - - - -

supermarket food

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:49 AM

Can any body help me? I wanted some advise on what is the best food i can buy from a supermarket for my tortoises.

#2 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2005 - 12:03 PM

None would be best :-(
At a push, you could use watercress, the large leaf kind, not the salad cress in punnets and romaine lettuce.......but this should just be used temporarily if absolutely nothing else is available, usually the beginning of spring and end of autumn. There are lots of weeds available and many flowers can be eaten too.....go to www.tortoise.net for a diet guide for med torts

#3 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2005 - 04:23 PM

Hello Sarah
Joanne is right weeds are best, but Joanne forgot the s on Tortoises :-) so the web site is
http://www.tortoises.net

Another supermarket food you can buy is Floretti CRISPY salad, it must be the crispy one, torts can eat all the contents in these bags, Rocket is another one to add to this list, BUT don't give just one, the tortoise will need a mixture of these foods.
Buy a cheap Wild Flower book too and you will be suprised at the weeds you will recognise from the List on Lin Kings plant page
Arnie

#4 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:04 PM

thank you so much for your replies. do you know where i can buy seeds to grow my own tortoise food eg clover?

#5 Guest_nina_*

Guest_nina_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:49 AM

Hi,

You could grow your own weeds like I do. You can buy seeds to grow from the tlady's site. I'm not sure exactly what the address is but log on to GOOGLE and search under tlady + tortoises.

Nina

#6 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:39 PM

A question about cress. I've been trying to grow my own, and have seeds for salad cress, but I gather this isn't good for them. Is salad cress actually harmful? I spoke to someone at Unwin's seeds and they said that salad cress (fine curled cress) is lepidium sativum, and American land cress is barbarea verna. Both are in the brassica family but are not actually brassicas. He said that watercress is ropippa nasturtium-aquaticum and is also in the brassica family. I'm confused.
Nina

#7 Guest_jill 1_*

Guest_jill 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:15 PM

Cress is not harmful to the torts; infact they enjoy it. However, it has very little nourishment other than for its water content. I know that I will probably be cursed by other members on the site, but my torts love Asda's Continental salad mix!! No, I do not have shares in Asda....

#8 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2005 - 01:14 PM

The small punnets of salad cress are a derivative of rape, and altho not harmful, arent recommended. The larger leaf water cress shouldnt be relied upon as a stable, but is ok to give if you are struggling for food.
HTH

#9 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2005 - 01:32 PM

OK, I see. I've just been giving him little bits of the salad cress that I've grown in addition to everything else for variety. I guess I've not done any harm. I'm also growing some wild rocket from seed for variety, plus some mixed weed seed from a packet that I got at the BATK open day (probably not as good as the TLady mix, but it was handy to buy while I was there - so far I can see that plantain and clover have come up, not sure what else).

#10 Guest_jill 1_*

Guest_jill 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:19 PM

They love dandelions...last year I was dragging the dandelions out of my garden. This year I am nurturing them for the torts! Make sure to wash them first though.

#11 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:01 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 31-07-05 AT 08:02 AM (GMT)]Hello Sarah
Here's the link you want to grow your own weeds for tortoises
http://www.tlady.cla...t/herbiseed.htm
One tip, don't nurture the seeds, they are weeds and are used to roughing it :-)
Arnie

#12 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:58 AM

thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users