cleaning soil of eggs

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:02 PM

hi dose anyone know the best way to clean the soil from the eggs?i have litly brushed them with a small paint brush but they are still pritty soily.i want to check them for cracks and to see if they are fertlie

thanks

bruce

#2 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:31 PM

They are best left Bruce, as if you try to clean them then the natural caoating is washed off and they can become mouldy when they are in the incubator.

#3 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

thanks for that sue maybe its best to leave them to see what happens i would of liked to see if their was any cracks or fertility though

#4 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:07 PM

I have had dirty eggs hatch Bruce, know what you mean about checking though.

#5 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:20 AM

If mine are really dirty, I tend to run them under the tap, and dry with kitchen roll:0)
They still hatch.

#6 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

i thought it was just me Sandy.i run mine under the tap regardless and then dry them off and mark them with a pencil.i seem too get a decent hatch rate my graeca graeca in particular are normally 100%.
terry

#7 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:47 PM

It was someone from the TT that said to wash them would remove the natural coating from the cloaca, still it won't be the first time I have been told rubbish from that area lol. Not sure really why anyone would want to wash them though, as they are dirty when hatched naturally. My friend in Turkey always buries hers in soil in the incubator for good results.

#8 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:10 PM

Each to their own, about cleaning eggs. If it works for you and your setup, then all is well.

#9 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:05 PM

i have been working away all week just home.would it be oc to wash them now or is it to late.
my other females first eggs were all infertlie do they usuly get infertlie eggs first?
thanks
bruce

#10 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:20 PM

Its not easy to say whether eggs from a first ever clutch are fertile or not Bruce. Some are and some are not.
I have a female ibera, who laid her first every clutch on the surface, and three out of the four eggs were fertile.

As for cleaning off eggs, if they were mine I would just give them a quick wipe over with a damp piece of kitchen towel, if they are really dirty. If only a little dirt on them, I would leave them.

One of my female iberas, who was my first ever hatchling, laid five eggs today. So second generation eggs:0) I always know where she lays her eggs, as she digs holes in my lawn. Either near my bird table or my washing whirly pole. This year it is the pole:0)
And she showed no signs of being gravid, unlike one of my other females who is bashing the hell out of whoever comes along, male, female or my shoe:0)

If you do clean the eggs, make sure you dont turn them, I dont think it matters this early, but not worth taking the chance.

#11 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

thanks sandy they are pritty dirty. to dirty to candle anyway.ill give them a wipe just to see if it helps.if not ill just leave them be
trying not to get carried away this time,to much hart ake!!!
thanks again

bruce

#12 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

Congratulations on the arrival of the eggs Sandy, 2nd generation eggs that is fabulous news!!

Paula x

#13 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:07 AM

Fingers crossed for you this time Bruce.
Your females are laying, so its just a matter of time:0)
I had eggs for three years before I got fertile ones from my Bramble. But I was incubating in the airing cupboard then. So it might have been that. But I had four incubating this way, before my husband made me my incubator:0)

#14 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

Good luck Bruce, we're all rooting for you this time, keep us updated!

As for my lot, well Frank makes all the right moves and noises, just doesnt get his dinky out!!!!! LOL!!!! Ah well, maybe next year...... :rolleyes:

#15 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:27 PM

good luck Bruce i hope they are fertile this year.
terry

#16 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:02 PM

hi terry i hope they go well.they have chalked over but to dirty to see any veins.am just going to leave them be i did try and clean them but with not much luck think i left it to late to clean them

thanks
bruce

#17 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:24 AM

personally i woundnt risk cleaning them once you have started to incubate.they really do benefit from being left alone the more you touch them the greater the risk they may stop developing and every time you open the incubator for more than a few seconds you mess with the humidity.give them at least a month then if you do candle them they should be showing definite signs of development and not be quite so sensitive to handling.
terry

#18 Guest_Pippa_*

Guest_Pippa_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:36 AM

Hi there

I don't know about tortoise eggs but I have been keeping & breeding chickens for 15 years so I don't know wether this will be helpful or not.

As the eggs are porous it is best not to wash them in cold water as this draws the dirt and therefore possibly infection into the egg. If it really is necessary to clean the egg then it is advised that you either use very fine sandpaper to very gently remove the worst of the dirt or to wash them in warm (but not hot!) water and use an egg sanitiser liquid. Ofcourse chickens don't normally bury their eggs!

Good luck with your incubating whatever you choose to do.

Pippa

#19 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:17 PM

i am just gonna leave them be

#20 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

I have been running eggs under the water to clean off exsess dirt, for the last 15yrs and never had any problems. I generally get 100% hatching rate.
I can only speak from experience not technical info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users