- - - - -

can they go out side?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_phillaw_*

Guest_phillaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:05 PM

hi i am just wondering if its alrite for my torts ben and jerry to go outside, there only 2yrs and i was told there not allowed to go out side till there 4yrs because of grass not to sure what they ment any advice would be great.

cheers phill

p.s are danilions ok to give them from the garden? as i found a white thin worm looking thing hanging out of bens mouth and he look like he was being sick,

#2 Guest_CindyWho4_*

Guest_CindyWho4_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:58 AM

Hi, Phill!

I'm curious as to who told you they can't go outside until 2 years, and is it because of a certain grass that grows where you live? I have a Hermann's that is a few months old, and I take him outside every day as long as it's warm enough for us to go out in t-shirts. I just checked the plants I have with this site and with other Hermann's owners to know if it's safe for him to graze around here.

As for the white worm thing, was it a strip of the stem on the dandelion? I've pulled one of these out of Wasabi's mouth before, thinking he was choking, and he just gave me a dirty look (I swear, I saw angry eyebrows on the tortoise) and went back to eating. Hopefully someone will post that knows more. smile.gif

#3 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:04 AM

Hmmmmm, interesting.....so this person that told you they couldn't go out until they were 4yrs old..what do they suppose happens to our little shelled ones (wait for it...........)

"IN THE WILD"

( wink.gif sorry some will understand the pun there!!!)

It is perfectly fine for your tortie's to go outside and enjoy the sunshine (and rain, and wind.....) rolleyes.gif

As for the white thing.....not sure! Without actually seeing it it's hard to say, just keep an eye on her.

#4 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:46 AM

What do you think they do in the wild?

You have been given some really rubbish information. My tortoises if the weather is still warm, go outside from the day they hatch.
The three I have left from last year (hatchlings) have been going outside everyday for the last few days. As here in Kent it has been beautiful weather.

#5 Guest_CindyWho4_*

Guest_CindyWho4_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:58 PM

Ooops...my thoughts of "at 2 years" and "until 4 years" ran together. Sorry. biggrin.gif

#6 Guest_phillaw_*

Guest_phillaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:58 PM

my mum and dad told this by the people in the shop when they got them for me, i said the same thing by what happens when there in the wild.

and its just normal grass, i live in manchester.

i went in the shop and asked myself and they told me cause there to young and cant be out for more then half an hour at a time.

i dont want to sound funny but its not like im stupid its just that ive been told one thing and then read other things on here. its just abit confusing, been new and that.

#7 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

I would use your common sense with some info. In the wild they are outside all the time. Ok we wouldnt put them out in snow or really cold weather. But common sense tells you that if its warm and sunny outside, thats the weather they get in the wild.

#8 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (Dawn @ Apr 19 2010, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmmmm, interesting.....so this person that told you they couldn't go out until they were 4yrs old..what do they suppose happens to our little shelled ones (wait for it...........)

"IN THE WILD"

( wink.gif sorry some will understand the pun there!!!)

It is perfectly fine for your tortie's to go outside and enjoy the sunshine (and rain, and wind.....) rolleyes.gif

As for the white thing.....not sure! Without actually seeing it it's hard to say, just keep an eye on her.

Oh please explain for those of us who do not understand the pun. Are we taking the mick a bit here smile.gif

#9 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:54 PM

Hi Phill,

There is sooooo much info out there that it is a bit mind boggling when you first start keeping your tortoise. As already said the little guy will be just fine as long as it is warm and sunny outside. A really rough guide is T shirt weather... if you are warm enough in just a T shirt the little chap will be just fine. On cooler overcast days the little guys can be allowed to warm up under their lamps before being taken outside.
I know it all sounds confusing, but it depends on your set up, whether you have a greenhouse or coldframe for torty to shelter in, or if you have a safe covered enclosure, will make a difference. It depends on lots of things, I wonder if the chap was talking about wet grass... It is not ideal to keep a tortoise on a permanantly damp surface such as wet grass.
If you have not got an outside set up yet I would be inclined to let torty warm up a bit, and enjoy watching him outside as often as possible. Please be aware of preditors though, birds will take a small tort.

Paula x

#10 Guest_phillaw_*

Guest_phillaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (Hettie @ Apr 20 2010, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Phill,

There is sooooo much info out there that it is a bit mind boggling when you first start keeping your tortoise. As already said the little guy will be just fine as long as it is warm and sunny outside. A really rough guide is T shirt weather... if you are warm enough in just a T shirt the little chap will be just fine. On cooler overcast days the little guys can be allowed to warm up under their lamps before being taken outside.
I know it all sounds confusing, but it depends on your set up, whether you have a greenhouse or coldframe for torty to shelter in, or if you have a safe covered enclosure, will make a difference. It depends on lots of things, I wonder if the chap was talking about wet grass... It is not ideal to keep a tortoise on a permanantly damp surface such as wet grass.
If you have not got an outside set up yet I would be inclined to let torty warm up a bit, and enjoy watching him outside as often as possible. Please be aware of preditors though, birds will take a small tort.

Paula x

Thanks paula that has helped, that was the kind of helpful info i was looking for.

i dont have an outside set up yet i was just goin to watch them while they were in the garden, but i am looking to get one now that i know its ok for them to be out.
(what exactly is a coldframe?)

thanks again

#11 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

Hi Phill

A small sandpit in a sunny part of the garden could be a good starting point and not too expensive. (Any birthdays coming up?)

This can be covered with either some cheap plastic fruit netting if you cant get anything any stronger yet (I have used netting because I have some trees in my torts enclosure). Just fill the sandpit with some sand / topsoil an upturned plant pot and dig some weeds out of the borders in the garden - you will be very popular with your mom as well! rolleyes.gif ha ha!

It will save you taking them in everytime you want a drink or the loo - as previously said, a bird will take them in an instant!

Good luck and enjoy watching them in the sunshine (hopefully)

Pat

#12 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:01 PM

Hi Phill,

In the section 'all other breeds of tortoise' 2nd post from the top Cyberangel (Sandy) wrote a post about coldframes, have a read, they are available from most of the garden centres.

Pat is right, if you can make a simple outside enclosure it would be great, as soon as you get outside the phone will ring and you'll have to bring the little fella back in! rolleyes.gif
The outdoor enclosure section might give you some ideas to try. It will be your first attempt, any outdoor space is better than none, as torty grows and you learn more you can make improvements. We are always changing things for the little guys. biggrin.gif

Paula x

#13 Guest_phillaw_*

Guest_phillaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:36 PM

thanks guys that has helped,they will be out in no time now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users