Outdoor Pen Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CindyWho4_*

Guest_CindyWho4_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:50 PM

Me again! We moved to this house almost 2 years ago, and I've always had the intent to build a pen for my Russian tort outside. The thing is, I really panicked every time because we have so many raccoons and possums, and I am TERRIFIED that one will pry it open. We've had them break in through my friend's window, get locked trash cans open, etc. My Russian passed, and now I have a baby Hermman's, and I take him outside every day but I would LOVE to keep him outside in the winter. I've looked through the posts here, and you all have some really need pens outside. My question is, does anyone know of a good, cheap way to build a top for it that will let the sun through, but not let a raccoon pick on my baby tort? I want cheap because I will be doing a smaller one now, redoing the back yard in a few months, and I will most likely want to build a bigger outdoor enclosure when it's done, so I don't want to waste a ton of money on something that may have to be moved or rebuilt. Thanks in advance.

#2 Guest_koopa_*

Guest_koopa_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:46 PM

this might sound bad but have you thought of an electrified fence type thing... (please don't hate me!)

i would dig in a stone wall all around then lay some wire meshing as a roof a hook it up to a battery.... obviously goes without saying that it has to be high enough that the tort can't climb or reach it. and not good if small children are about..

voltage just strong enough to give a short sharp 'shock', but not enough to actually harm any poor creature working in instinct...

worked well with my mum's chicken coop...to keep out foxy loxy's.. that was until she forgot to switch it on one night! rolleyes.gif

kate

#3 Guest_CindyWho4_*

Guest_CindyWho4_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:43 PM

Oooh, I have kids. No way I could do that lol. Thanks for the idea though. :)

#4 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:01 AM

Use galvernised metal. My first outdoor enclosure was a galvernised rabbit run. Im at work at the mo and so can't post a picture but when I get home I'll post one (if I remember :blush: ). Then just use padlocks to keep it locked and secure.

#5 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:23 AM

My pen was my walk-in guinea pig run. The sides and top are made of rigid small mesh (not chicken-wire which can easily be broken into by predators). We used wood battening to make the actual ends.

#6 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:56 PM

My first outdoor enclosure (when I just had Frankie :wub: )

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The 2nd two pics are before he ever went out there, the 1st two are after a few months (possibly even the following year)

#7 Guest_CindyWho4_*

Guest_CindyWho4_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:40 AM

Thank you all for your replies!

Dawn, thank you for sharing your pics. That is great, I love it! One question, did you have to lay down chicken wire or something a few inches down? Do Hermann's dig as much as Russians do?

#8 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:03 AM

I didn't but then under the soil its a sand/soil/gravel type mix cos when I moved in it was all paving slabs out the back. They do dig but you can USUALLY see the top of their shell, they certainly don't (shouldn't) dig as deep as horsfields though....but there's always going to be one rebel! :rolleyes:

#9 Guest_CindyWho4_*

Guest_CindyWho4_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

Okay, thanks! With my luck, it'd be mine that is the rebel. I will probably lay something down just in case. :LOL:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users