Another Outdoor Question (or two!)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Pippa_*

Guest_Pippa_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

Hi everyone,

I would be grateful if you could answer a few of my queries. I am in the process of building an outdoor enclosure. It is 16 foot by 6 foot and has a small shed (3.5 x 2 foot) with a decking area off it. The decking area is covered by polycarbonate sheeting to form a small "greenhouse" area. It is complete except for the landscaping and planting. My tortoise, Sherman, has been out and tried it on for size (I'm just waiting for his verdict!!) but I am still nervous of leaving him out while I'm at work (due to temperatures rather than theft).

There is no heating in the shed at the moment so would he be safe to put outside now? Even though the mornings are chilly we've had some nice weather as the day progesses so I can't help but feel he's missing out. How do you judge when it is safe or not?

Also, what substrate should I use on the floor of the shed? Should I use a layer of soil or something more snuggly?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
Pippa

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

Hi Pippa

I have been putting my tortoises out everyday since the sun came out:0)
They have coldframes to hide in if it does get chilly. So they have the choice of staying in the coldframe or going outside to bathe. Some are out some are in the CF. So if you can leave an opening so your tortoise can come and go, I am sure he/she will make their mind up:0)
I dont bring them in if I am out. They stay out until around five oclock, or earlier if the clouds set in. Usually they are tucked up inside the CF.

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:02 PM

Hi Pippa,

When my torty shed is finished I am planning to use a big box of topsoil on the floor, access via a ramp, I thought it might be easier to clean?

Paula x

#4 Guest_Pippa_*

Guest_Pippa_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:47 AM

Hi there

Thank you both. I was a little worried because we've had some frosty mornings but I think I will bite the bullet and put him out.

I am a relatively new torty mum and still require some reassurance!

Kind regards
Pippa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users