Outdoor plan!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:25 PM

Hi everyone!!

I have been thinking a lot about what is best to do with my 6 month old hermanns regarding outdoors time!!

For the time being I am stuck at home with my parents while I finish my degree so I dont really want to go digging up their garden because when I have my own place I will make my garden all for my tort, so I was thinking about what would be best for Nettle! (Sorry for my rambling, I will get to the point in a minute!)

I have decided to get her a large indoor rabbit cage so that she can go outside still and I know she will be safe and secure! I know it isnt ideal but she is so tiny at the moment and it sucks because when ever it is sunny I have to sit outside with her and as much as I would like to, I cant spend all day doing that!

I am going to fill it with soil and put some slate in their and basically kit it out much like her indoor habitat! I have some plants and weeds that I will put in there for her but I was just wondering, do I need to drill holes in the bottom for drainage? Also, with it being a plastic base I am not sure how well it will do living outside so is there anything I can do to treat it or to ensure it doesnt rot!

It isnt permenant but for the time being it is what I have to work with so if anyone could offer me any help to the questions I have asked I would really appreciate it!

Louise

xxx

p.s I will post some pictures when it is all done!

#2 Guest_seesaw_*

Guest_seesaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:06 PM

Hi Louise,

You haven't said what the surface of the garden is. If it's grass, then you would be better with a rabbit run. Then you wouldn't have to worry about soil or drainage. They could also graze on the ground naturally. You could buy a large one much cheaper than a house, and it will keep anything nasty away, while still being able to look inside. Hope this helps.
Graham.

#3 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:51 AM

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your reply!

My garden is mainly grass with a little bit of patio! The only reason I didnt opt for an outdoor rabbit run on the grass was because I read that they shouldnt just be on grass if they are going to be outside and I didnt want to dig up sections of my garden for an area thats got a bit of soil and grass! If that makes sense!

Like im sure we have all said before, tort are no trouble aye'! :rolleyes:

Louise

xx

#4 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:42 PM

Its correct your tortoise shouldnt be on only grass. They should have an area of soil to bask on:0)
I planted up large rabbit cage works fine. But make sure you have holes in the bottom to allow drainage of any down pours of rain.

#5 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:51 AM

Hi Sandy!

I am in the process of doing it now! I have persuaded my dad to drill some holes in the bottom for me! I dont trust myself!

Typically enough, the weather has gone rainy here! Hopefully it will brighten up again soon!

xx

#6 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:49 AM

Lol I am hoping we will have some rain here in Kent, as its very dry, and I am watering every other day as my pots dry out so quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users