If its too dark in their house - will they come out?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:32 PM

All

Just taken delivery of my new beehive composter which I am adapting into a tort house with a cold frame attached to it, but I could do with some advice on doorways.

I am concerned that if I keep it dark in there, they will not be able to see daylight etc and wont bother coming out at all! As it is connected onto a coldframe, shall I take out part of the front so that they can see when it is light in the morning?

Thanks
Patx

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:57 PM

Hi Pat

I have tortoise housing they cant see out of except for the door way, and they still come out:0)
The heat does help as they can sense the sun too. Try it with out ajusting, if they dont come out, Then alter it:0) If thats possible after attaching the coldframe:0)

#3 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:13 PM

I agree with Sandy, mine can't see out of their shed, but they still come out

#4 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:40 PM

Hi Thanks

I will leave it on for the time being and see what happens!

Patx

#5 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:46 PM

I think they learn their way about and once they know where the exit is, they'll go back there when they want it. Including if they can't see it.

#6 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:51 PM

I would make sure the door is translucent plastic Pat, so that the exit in the morning is quicker than if it is darker. Torts are motivated by the position of the sun so anything they can see through will help ;) Hope this does.

#7 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:08 AM

Thanks - I might replace part of the front with some polycarb. When it is all done you will have to pop round and see the girls.

Patx

#8 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:20 PM

Will come round as soon as I can Pat. You are always welcome here too ;) Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users