- - - - -

Box Turtles

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:33 PM

My other love is my box turtles. I have three adult males, one adult female. And have just aquired these two boxie babies. I thought I would share.
There does not seem to be a section for these, so posted them here.

#2 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:37 PM

awwwww, they are gorgeous Sandy wub.gif would love to see more pics!

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:39 PM

Oh wow! I have absolutely no knowledge of how these little guys are kept, congratulations on the new arrivals. wub.gif

I just love the 'tug of worm' picture!

Paula x

#4 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

Well I find them a lot easier to keep than tortoises (not that tortoises are a problem:0) ) as they live outside all year round, even hibernate outside in their coldframe. These are my adults, I have had them a few years now, and I find them as facinating as tortoises.
Over the last two days my husband and I (please curtsey:0) ) have revamped my adult male enclosure, so as to tag on an enclosure for the two new ones (unamed so far) so they can be outside. Boxies do far better outside. Rather than being in.
A picture of my female boxie Rosie.

Attached Files

#5 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:22 PM

Can I ask a really blonde question...(sorry Paula!) what are box turtles? Are they turtles or tortoises? DO they prefer land or water? What are their requirements? Heating, housing, set ups, food etc?

Come on, you got us all intersted now!!!!! And dont you lot pretend you know the answers to the above, I'm only asking what you were all thinking....

#6 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:06 PM

Lol box turtles live on the land, but love to have long soaks. They can box themselves up against predetorts.
They eat live food, such as woodlice, mealworms, waxworms and crickets. They can also eat flowers, weeds and fruit. They also like humidity, so get sprayed every day when the weather is hot.
My males have a coldframed area, where a large black tub is buried in the ground and refilled with soil and moss. The coldframe over the top. They have cork, and hidey holes if they choose, or they bury down in the soil. A gap is left (coldframe on bricks, one left out) so they can come and go as they please, just like the tortoises. I dont have as much experience with these, as I do tortoises. But am soaking up info:0)
The three males live happily together, and do like company.

#7 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:23 PM

Interesting!!! Shame they can't live along side Hermans! (in the same enclosure I mean!!) I have always got lots of mealies, waxworms and crickets around!!! rolleyes.gif

#8 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:46 PM

Lovely photo of Rosie. I like the look of boxies. Do they need constant access to a pond?

#9 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:24 PM

Hi Jonathan

No the dont actually swim, they just need a pool so they can soak in. Mine is an old school tray about three inches deep. With a largish stone to help them get in and out. My adults are three toeds and live outside all year round. Hibernatiing under a coldframe in their enclosure.
They are really different to tortoises, one of my males is out and about all the time, another is a little shy, and the third is a scardy cat:0)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users