My hermann's tortoise laid an egg! Help needed!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cueboy_*

Guest_cueboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:13 PM

She laid ONE egg last night, and hasn't laid any in more than 20 hours, any ideas why? Should I expect more eggs anytime soon? How many batches of eggs they lay each year?

I've separate the male from the enclosure, and I'm using aspen bedding.
The ONE egg is already in incubator, constantly 30 degrees Celsius.

Thank you and I'm so excited!

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:00 AM

hi ,what species of hermanns do you have? i have the eastren bogys.one of my females layed three cluches last year.and the other has just layed again.
how old are your torts?did she make a nest or did she just drop her eggs?
i would use soil as they dig their nests in it . about 8 inches of soil at least i hope it is fertlie

#3 Guest_cueboy_*

Guest_cueboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:22 AM

she's eastern hermann, as far as I can remember. They are around 5 years old, she's 13cm.
She didn't dig any nest, just dropped the egg.
is top soil a must or aspen will do?
I'll know in 10 weeks if the egg are fertile. :rolleyes:

#4 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:35 AM

Its always best to incubate the egg, even if its just for the experienced. I have also found that sometimes they are fertile. Although your tortoise if only five is a little imature to be laying eggs. Which might be the reason for just dropping the egg. Its possible there might be more, especially if there is no suitable place for her to lay.
As Bruce has said, you need soil for her to lay eggs properly, and aspen is not ideal for tortoises anyway. They certainly cant dig in it. So you need a nesting box, sloped and filled with soil. Enough depth from her head end to her tail. As they dig quite deep nests.
Good luck with the egg.

#5 Guest_cueboy_*

Guest_cueboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:33 PM

I'll find some top soil and a set up a nest for her.
Should be 8 inches as Bruchfairweather suggested?
Can I still give her a bath, soak in the water?
And is it a must to separate the male from her? I only have one enclosure.
Thanks for all the help so far.

#6 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:21 PM

Not experienced on eggs & egg laying so I'll leave the replies to the others. Good luck though with the egg laid so far :wub:

#7 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

congratulations,i hope all goes well and the egg is fertile,keep us posted!
Jay,H and Becky

#8 Guest_cueboy_*

Guest_cueboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:29 AM

UPDATE:
She laid two more eggs on Sunday, 2 days after the first egg.
Again, there's was no digging/nesting, she was just moving around the enclosure, and dropped them out as they came out.
I'm a bit confused why there was no digging nesting, would she know the eggs were not fertile? or simply because I didn't have the nest set up?
I believe there might be a few more eggs coming...

#9 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:44 AM

The fact that she has not dug a nest, could be her imaturety, or the fact its her first clutch. Two of my female iberas first clutches were on the soil. Both had fertile ones too. But this does not always happen. The first clutch can be infertile too, especially if the male is just as young.

#10 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:58 AM

hi you really need to provide a depth of suitable substrate for her to nest properly.most females will test the site by making swimming motions and sniffing to test the temperature and humidity.although some are more fussy than others they are all looking for a safe suitable place so that their eggs will incubate successfully.it takes so much calcium out of their system to produce eggs that its not always a good idea to breed from young immature females and i think you need to see she has a well supplemented diet and good quality uvb since she has started egg production at this age.good luck with the eggs please dont hesitate to ask should you have any questions.
terry

#11 Guest_cueboy_*

Guest_cueboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:43 AM

After I got home today, I measured both my tortoise again, the female is actually 16cm, originally I thought she was 13, that must be at least 2 years old.
The male is 15cm.

#12 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:09 AM

hi her size sounds a little better but i would give her the supplimented diet regardless.if you think she may have more eggs and they arent laid soon then perhaps an xray to confirm how many if any are still present.
terry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users