herman tortoise setup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sharlie_*

Guest_sharlie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:04 PM

Hello

i need some help as i am trying to gather as much info as possible befor i get my setup sorted and just wanted some advice i am getting a viverium i think... Lol but i didnt know what lights u need and what ones u ment to leave on and what ones u ment to turn off at night. Also i didnt know what bedding was better as with the setup i get wood chips and been looking around and that does not seem like a good option so there for didnt know what else to get i seen tortoise sand mix at pets at home but didnt know if this was safe to use as the tortoise i am getting was only born in 09. Also the tempature monertering does the thermostat turn the temp down as i dont know what to do to turn the temp down for night time and how to get the temp right to begin with.

Sorry about million questions but thought this may be the best way cos when u ask shops i get worried they just trying to con u to buy there products

many thanks sharlie xx

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:25 PM

A viv is not a good option for med tortoises, they dont have enough air circulation and they do not give a graedient heat.
Hermans do far better in an open topped enclosure ( an old drawer will do fine), you can build or get someone to make it for you, at a much better price than a viv.
Most keepers use a UV/lamp for tortoises these days, they are a little more expensive to start with, but do last up to two years. The other option, is a UV tube and a spotlight. The tubes need to be changed every six months, as the UV depletes very quickly. Under the light 32c and the other end 25c.
And hermans, ibera, margianta, graecas do not need heat at nightime, the heat of a house is enough.
Substrate (bedding) soil and playpit sand mix is best, as tortoises like a choice to be able to dig in if they need it.
Are you buying from a breeder or from a shop?
This does make a big difference.

Getting temps right in an open topped enclosure is far easier than a viv:0)
You can either hang a lamp, or get a clamp to put it on the side of the enclosure.

You are right to question shops, they generally try and sell you a lot of things you dont actually need:0(
The basic needs aree.
Open topped enclosure.
UV lamp or UV tube and spotlight.
Substrate, soil and sand mix.
Water dish.
A piece of THICK slate to feed from, this helps keep their beaks in trim. You should not use thin slate as this can get very very hot and burn the tortoise.
House of some sort, a cardboard box is all you really need, but most feel they need more:0)
I use curve roof tiles for my hatchlings to hide under.

#3 Guest_sharlie_*

Guest_sharlie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:50 PM

is it ok to use a tortoise table on a very small tortoise tho as it only born in 2009 and i am getting it from a shop that sells loads of different kinds of tortoises lol

sharlie xx

#4 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:19 PM

Yes quite safe, I have used open topped enclosures for my hatchlings for the last 16yrs and they do well. I also still have two hatchlings left from last year, who hatched at the end of July and they are thriving. They go outside 24/7 at the end of May, providing the weather is a little warmer than it is now:0)
I have eggs in my incubator now, if they are fertile, they will go outside with in hours of hatching, provided its warm.
Tortoises have survived for millions of years, they are a lot tougher than you think:0)
You have said you are buying from a shop, I would suggest you look for a breeder near to you, and buy from them. Shops import their tortoises from farms, and you wont acutally know how old your tortoise is. And some come with worm/protezoa loads. So I would advise strongly that you buy from a breeder. They are also usually much cheaper than shops.

#5 Guest_sharlie_*

Guest_sharlie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:49 PM

ok thnks for that i have one more question to ask u if i may. When buying the lamp that does both uv and heat what watt should i buy for a 4 by 2 foot table x x

many thnks sharlie xx

#6 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:08 PM

I use a 100w with my hatchlings.

#7 Guest_sharlie_*

Guest_sharlie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:11 PM

Ok thank you so much mot helpfull :D does this at all change as they get older as dont want to burn of frazzel them lol but thnk you xxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users