- - - - -

Hermanns Tortoise Age?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:06 PM

I purchased my Hermanns tortoise Billy Joe in 1981. We now have him almost 30 years.He is a similar size now then when we bought him.How do we determine his full age? Can anybody help?

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ May 22 2010, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I purchased my Hermanns tortoise Billy Joe in 1981. We now have him almost 30 years.He is a similar size now then when we bought him.How do we determine his full age? Can anybody help?

hi i dont know if you got certs with hermanns back then but nowadays the date of their birth is on them.so i take it your hermann dosent have a cert?i think it would be pritty much imposable to age him

bruce

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

Bruce is right there is no way you can tell the exact age of tortoises bought back in the fiftes, sixties and seventies. In theory if you bought him in the eighties without paperwork, then it was illeagal:0) But not many people actually new that then. I know I didnt. But when my tortoises started to breed, I sent off to DEFRA and explained where and when I bought the tortoises, they sent me the correct certs for them, once I had, had them microchipped. The few adult rehomers I took on, I did the same, and then DEFRA sent me a breeders licence for them. This means I can sell any of the hatchlings but the rehomed adult.

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ May 22 2010, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Many thanks Bruce and Sandy for the info.concerning my Hermanns tortoise Billy Joe.It is true that I didn't get a cert with him in 1981 when I bought him From a Dublin Pet Store! I have him 30 years and he's still going strong.He was fully grown when I bought him and is quite large compared to some of the specimens I have seen on the web.He could be up to 50 years old I guess who knows?He is a male so I've never had the opportunity to breed from him.Tried to get him a female companion a number of years ago but found out later they generally don't get along in pairs.He has been hibernated every year since then.He could possibly outlive me so the only problem now is who I leave him to ha ha! He is now being introduced to a third generation of children.They truly are a great Pet. Any idea what I should look out for healthwise with him over the next number of years? Regards-Freddy

#5 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:41 AM

Lol males and females do get on, its just that the males dont stop pestering the females to reproduce:0)
If you have an area to be able to put a female in to give her a rest then that would be fine. Also the more females to one male makes it easier on the females. I have six adult female iberas to two males. But I do have an area to put the males in to give the girls a rest. Its a biggish space so the boys dont really mind:0)

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ May 23 2010, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol males and females do get on, its just that the males dont stop pestering the females to reproduce:0)
If you have an area to be able to put a female in to give her a rest then that would be fine. Also the more females to one male makes it easier on the females. I have six adult female iberas to two males. But I do have an area to put the males in to give the girls a rest. Its a biggish space so the boys dont really mind:0)

Just like alot of men I suppose! ha ha! Regards-Freddy

#7 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

wouldnt mind seeing a pic of your bhoy.i love the adults

bruce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users