- - - - -

food

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sharlie_*

Guest_sharlie_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:33 AM

hey i just have few questions about my tortoises food he lives on alot of cabbage and curly kale but also round out he like spinich, brocolli and watercress are these safe to give them as a every day thing or will it cause problems as i dont know much about the fibre and protene that is in them. Also is it true they can eat butter cups as i have few in my garden and didnt know if they were posionous to them?

Thanks sharlie biggrin.gif

o and one more question i read u are ment to give them something hard to munch on to keep control over there mouth and got suggested carrots but he wont touch carrots so is this true and what else can i give him lol xxx

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (sharlie @ May 23 2010, 02:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey i just have few questions about my tortoises food he lives on alot of cabbage and curly kale but also round out he like spinich, brocolli and watercress are these safe to give them as a every day thing or will it cause problems as i dont know much about the fibre and protene that is in them. Also is it true they can eat butter cups as i have few in my garden and didnt know if they were posionous to them?

Thanks sharlie biggrin.gif

o and one more question i read u are ment to give them something hard to munch on to keep control over there mouth and got suggested carrots but he wont touch carrots so is this true and what else can i give him lol xxx

hello,i would not feed my tortoise any of that stuff you are feeding sorry!!their is loads of weeds on the go just now and they re better for them and are free!!!

bruce

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:44 PM

Hi Sharlie,

Plants from the Brassica family such as , cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and Brussels sprouts inhibit calcium intake, which is necessary for the correct growth. None of the Brassica family are suitable for tortoises.

If you need to buy shop bought stuff most people recommend using Floretti CRISPY, but there are so many weeds around right now you could start learning about these and adding them to the stuff you buy? Dandelions and plantain are probably the easiest to 'master' and then you could add plants as you learn. Have a look in the edible section for other ideas.

Torty would probably struggle with carrot chunks, a small amount of grated carrot every now and again is fine.

Watercress in fine, as long as it is watercress and not the punnet of salad cress from the supermarket, this is different.

A good, hard thing to have around to help keep his beak trim is a cuttlefish.

Oh, and sorry... buttercups are a no-no too!!

Back to the drawingboard eh!! rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

If you are struggling with food ideas just shout, lots of us can help out. smile.gif

Paula x

#4 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:56 PM

Watercress is alright now and then Sharlie.

There are a load of dandellions around at the moment!

#5 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE (Ozric @ May 23 2010, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Watercress is alright now and then Sharlie.

There are a load of dandellions around at the moment!

Hi Sharlie,
Try hand feeding him with some banana or leaving him down some lettuce.They also enjoy eating dandelion leaves and clover in the garden. For a treat try giving some sliced peach,strawberry or tomato from your hand! Also put down some pieces of cuttlefish bone (available from most Pet Shops!!!) and grate some in powder form on his food.This fulfills his calcium needs and helps keep his shell strong and beak trim.
Regards
Freddy

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:20 AM

Hi there,

Whilst fruit is fine for some breeds of tortoise it is not recommended for Hermanns. It can upset the gut flora and cause problems. Banana is definately out... biggrin.gif Trying to remember why... was it addictive? or was it toxic? someone I'm sure will remind me!

I know some people do sometimes give the tiniest amount on a rare occasion.. but I think we shouldn't recommend it as part of the diet. I think this could be misinterpreted as being ok to be offered on a regular basis, which it isn't. As Freddie pointed out it would be a treat... my little guys, bless them, don't get any!! Such a hard mummy!! laugh.gif

Paula x

#7 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (Hettie @ May 24 2010, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there,

Whilst fruit is fine for some breeds of tortoise it is not recommended for Hermanns. It can upset the gut flora and cause problems. Banana is definately out... biggrin.gif Trying to remember why... was it addictive? or was it toxic? someone I'm sure will remind me!

I know some people do sometimes give the tiniest amount on a rare occasion.. but I think we shouldn't recommend it as part of the diet. I think this could be misinterpreted as being ok to be offered on a regular basis, which it isn't. As Freddie pointed out it would be a treat... my little guys, bless them, don't get any!! Such a hard mummy!! laugh.gif

Paula x

Hi All!
As far as I know Bananas are not toxic to tortoises but are certainly addictive!

Paddock on a plate!
Recently a vet gave me a seed mixture of 20 wild plants to grow for my Mediterranean tortoise.This grass-free seed mixture is to be grown in saucers or seed trays on a window ledge at any time of year,or in a paddock outside in spring.These plants have all been observed to be commonly eaten by Mediterranean tortoises in the wild.They can be fed to your tortoise when the plants are 4-10cm high.
Composition:-
Creeping Bell Flower, Common Mallow
Shepherd's purse , Sainfoin
Wavy Bittercress , Ribwort Platain
Hairy Bittercress , Great Plantain
Chicory , Hoary Plantain
Field Bindweed , Hedge Mustard
Smooth Hawks-beard , Dandelion
Nipplewort, Red Clover
Musk Mallow , White Clover
Common Vetch, Sowthistle

Regards
Freddy

#8 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:26 PM

Oooooh, that's interesting Freddie, I hadn't heard of the 4-10cm high thing. I wonder what the reason behind that is? Do you think that the younger smaller plants contain too much of something, or whether it just gives them a chance to grow before being snaffled!! biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif

Paula x

#9 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (Hettie @ May 24 2010, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oooooh, that's interesting Freddie, I hadn't heard of the 4-10cm high thing. I wonder what the reason behind that is? Do you think that the younger smaller plants contain too much of something, or whether it just gives them a chance to grow before being snaffled!! biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif

Paula x

Not too sure Paula.Possibly a bit of both! Or maybe they're at their nutritional best at 4-10cms high.You wouldn't eat an unripe tomato? Same applies.....
Kind regards!
Freddy

#10 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:50 PM

Well I liked the look of that plant list in Freddy's seed mix and I agree that those plants are all suitable and it would be first rate nosh for Hermanns.

But I have to agree with Paula about Freddy's other suggestions!! Banana is very addictive for tortoises and is not a suitable food. Its got a massive amount of potassium in it for a start. So please, don't feed bananas.

The other fruits (strawberry and tomatoes) are not a good idea either. Yes Hermanns wil eat that kind of stuff but its not a healthy diet for them.

I'm a bit like Paula when it comes to feeding. The treat that my tortoises get is raddiccio which is a kind of red lettuce - they go mad for that!

#11 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (Ozric @ May 24 2010, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I liked the look of that plant list in Freddy's seed mix and I agree that those plants are all suitable and it would be first rate nosh for Hermanns.

But I have to agree with Paula about Freddy's other suggestions!! Banana is very addictive for tortoises and is not a suitable food. Its got a massive amount of potassium in it for a start. So please, don't feed bananas.

The other fruits (strawberry and tomatoes) are not a good idea either. Yes Hermanns wil eat that kind of stuff but its not a healthy diet for them.

I'm a bit like Paula when it comes to feeding. The treat that my tortoises get is raddiccio which is a kind of red lettuce - they go mad for that!

Fruit is harmless as a tasty treat when given sparingly in small amounts! As they say everything in moderation!The raddiccio sounds great! Must give some to my tort!
Regards
Freddy

#12 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:24 PM

Hi, I don't have any problem with Freddy's suggestion of fruit given sparingly in small amounts. I don't personally believe its a benefit for them all the same.

Freddie I read about your great tortoise on the other posts! I love to read about these tortoises that survived from that time and are still doing well.

So you must have got a lot of things right for him!!

#13 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE (Ozric @ May 25 2010, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, I don't have any problem with Freddy's suggestion of fruit given sparingly in small amounts. I don't personally believe its a benefit for them all the same.

Freddie I read about your great tortoise on the other posts! I love to read about these tortoises that survived from that time and are still doing well.

So you must have got a lot of things right for him!!

Hi Oz,
Enjoyed reading your profile!
You seem to have a lot of knowledge and experience to impart! Will definitely try your red lettuce suggestion!Many Thanks!- Kind Regards-Freddy

#14 Guest_sharlie_*

Guest_sharlie_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:08 AM

OK thank you everyone think i better go out weed collecting this week for dandilions only one i have hurd off as for hetti i dont understand as u sed the brassicila inhabits calcium intake does that mean it gives them calcium as when i brought my tortoise i was told this was a good thing and kurly kale and cabbage was really good for them as there main food as they said 85% this and 15 fruit and veg..... Now i totally confussed and george has slimy poop .... Suppose all u can do is learn learn and learn from this site.

As i cant just feed him dandilion where can i get this weed mix from and how long does it take to grow tak into account i have havent got the greenests fingers in the world lol couldnt even keep a cacti alive when i was younger lol xx

#15 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:04 AM

Morning all, I have to say I don't feed fruit to mine and certainly wouldn't feed bananas. When its really hot I do give them a bit of melon - cant remember its name but its the water based one (nooooo not water melon!!!) They get all the nutrition they need from their weeds and by christ they are in an abundance this year!!! Yep even here in Sutton!!! rolleyes.gif

The slimey poo will be caused by his diet I'm afraid unsure.gif As for weed mix, take a walk to your local fields/woods, as already said the weeds are everywhere at the moment - never seen so many, and they are growing huge!! My bristly ox tongues that I planted last year (uprooted from someones garden blush.gif ) are now standing nigh on 3ft tall and still growing!!!!! Theres 3 of them in there!!!! Never seen them sooooo big!!!!

#16 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE (sharlie @ May 25 2010, 02:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK thank you everyone think i better go out weed collecting this week for dandilions only one i have hurd off as for hetti i dont understand as u sed the brassicila inhabits calcium intake does that mean it gives them calcium as when i brought my tortoise i was told this was a good thing and kurly kale and cabbage was really good for them as there main food as they said 85% this and 15 fruit and veg..... Now i totally confussed and george has slimy poop .... Suppose all u can do is learn learn and learn from this site.

As i cant just feed him dandilion where can i get this weed mix from and how long does it take to grow tak into account i have havent got the greenests fingers in the world lol couldnt even keep a cacti alive when i was younger lol xx

Hi Sharlie!
I think what Hettie means is that brassica prevents calcium intake. So it's not so good.
Try giving some soft leafy lettuce like Butterhead or Little gem.Ozric says torts also love red lettuce types like Raddiccio. You can find them all in the local supermarket!
Best of luck!
Regards
Freddy

#17 Guest_sharlie_*

Guest_sharlie_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:23 PM

thankyou freddie i am just off out now as i gave george a bath as been told this is good for them he just shat everywhere in it but still lol going to go buy the raddiccio one and the one fritto of something lol and then go dandilion picking i thought i was doing so well lol u can never do so much research lol

#18 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (sharlie @ May 25 2010, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thankyou freddie i am just off out now as i gave george a bath as been told this is good for them he just shat everywhere in it but still lol going to go buy the raddiccio one and the one fritto of something lol and then go dandilion picking i thought i was doing so well lol u can never do so much research lol

No problem Sharlie!
Good luck with the tort food!
Kind Regards
Freddy

#19 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (Dawn @ May 25 2010, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Morning all, I have to say I don't feed fruit to mine and certainly wouldn't feed bananas. When its really hot I do give them a bit of melon - cant remember its name but its the water based one (nooooo not water melon!!!) They get all the nutrition they need from their weeds and by christ they are in an abundance this year!!! Yep even here in Sutton!!! rolleyes.gif

The slimey poo will be caused by his diet I'm afraid unsure.gif As for weed mix, take a walk to your local fields/woods, as already said the weeds are everywhere at the moment - never seen so many, and they are growing huge!! My bristly ox tongues that I planted last year (uprooted from someones garden blush.gif ) are now standing nigh on 3ft tall and still growing!!!!! Theres 3 of them in there!!!! Never seen them sooooo big!!!!

Hi All!
When it comes to food and the nutritional needs of torts,variety is the key.If you keep this in mind you will have a happy and healthy tortoise that will live a long time!
Regards
Freddy

#20 Guest_sharlie_*

Guest_sharlie_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:35 PM

ok so i been weed picking lol u sed something about clover can they eat purpel clover? As picked lots of it lol sorry about the million questions ppl lol xxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users