food

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:25 PM

Hi Sharlie,

Yes they can eat clover, but as Freddie says variety really is the key to things, so not toooooo much!! Certain weeds stop the tort being able to absorb the calcium into where they need it, by keeping the diet varied you can help avoid this.
Have a look in the identified weeds section, I have posted some pictures of common weeds found... please note not all of them are edible, but they are labelled either edible or toxic. You could add them to the supermarket stuff while you learn.
When we had snow and I was worried I wouldn't find weeds I made a list of the supermarket foods that could be offered....
Lambs lettuce
Romaine
Raddicio
Rocket
Frisee
Endive
Watercress
Little Gem

Are all ok... as part of a mixed diet!! biggrin.gif

Paula x

#22 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:40 PM

[quote name='sharlie' date='May 25 2010, 04:35 PM' post='39079']
ok so i been weed picking lol u sed something about clover can they eat purpel clover? As picked lots of it lol sorry about the million questions ppl lol xxx
[/quote
Hi Sharlie!
As Paula says torts need a mixed diet.
Purple clover is OK as is White clover.Try feeding George with some of the clover leaves.
Regards
Freddy

#23 Guest_sharlie_*

Guest_sharlie_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:14 PM

ok question time again can they eat...
Cow parsley cos there is tones of it where i live lol

#24 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

Cow parsley is toxic, a general rule is, if there are hundreds of the plants all the time, then in general its a tortoise no no. Seems to be sods law:0)

#25 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ May 26 2010, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cow parsley is toxic, a general rule is, if there are hundreds of the plants all the time, then in general its a tortoise no no. Seems to be sods law:0)

Except for dandies Sandy! ay? But then again I suppose they're not an all-year round thing! Also can you help Nic? She has a query on Sunflowers in the Topics section of the Hermann Tortoise Forum.I'm afraid I didn't have a definite answer for her.
Many Thanks!
Kind Regards
Freddy

#26 Guest_sharlie_*

Guest_sharlie_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:10 PM

i got lots of mellow t mine the big leaffy one lol so i will just pic some of that and clover and dandilions i like learning all this thank you so so much everyone my tort would still have bad bottom otherwise for u lol xxxxx

#27 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ May 26 2010, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Except for dandies Sandy! ay? But then again I suppose they're not an all-year round thing! Also can you help Nic? She has a query on Sunflowers in the Topics section of the Hermann Tortoise Forum.I'm afraid I didn't have a definite answer for her.
Many Thanks!
Kind Regards
Freddy

Sunflowers are not toxic and can be fed - the leaves I think that is. They tend to suck up nitrates from the soil so don't overdo it I'd suggest

#28 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (sharlie @ May 26 2010, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i got lots of mellow t mine the big leaffy one lol so i will just pic some of that and clover and dandilions i like learning all this thank you so so much everyone my tort would still have bad bottom otherwise for u lol xxxxx

Hi Sharlie!
That's great!Any more questions you know where to find us!
Best of luck!
Freddy

#29 Guest_jackiedots_*

Guest_jackiedots_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (sharlie @ May 25 2010, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thankyou freddie i am just off out now as i gave george a bath as been told this is good for them he just shat everywhere in it but still lol going to go buy the raddiccio one and the one fritto of something lol and then go dandilion picking i thought i was doing so well lol u can never do so much research lol

Hi Sharlie
My two torts always go to the toilet in their bath. I just have another container waiting to put them in whilst I flush the contents of the first one down the loo !! I think that is almost an expected occurence. The luke warm water soak helps them to empty their bowels and bladder. That way it keeps your tort table cleaner too !
Happy weed collecting....................
Regards
Jackie

#30 Jo King

Jo King

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:00 PM

Hello all. I’m new to the forum world so all advice would be very greatly appreciated. I have a little lady called Tyco, she is a 3 year old Hermann tort and a nightmare with food. I have tried everything from growing my own Tortoise weeds to taking weeds and plants from the garden, she will not eat them. I give her a small variety of greens and add supplements. I have even put grass to grow in her table, my problem is, she will only eat fresh greens like kale, cauliflower and broccoli, romaine lettuce, carrot, parsley. She loves fruit but she only has that as a rare treat. She eats very well, when I put her out for a walk she will try and eat everything she can fit in her mouth. Any advice on what I can do to make her eating habits more healthy for her? Also I have read many things about how often to feed her, should I be missing a day a week of feeding?

Any help would be great

Jo

#31 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:48 AM

Hello all. I’m new to the forum world so all advice would be very greatly appreciated. I have a little lady called Tyco, she is a 3 year old Hermann tort and a nightmare with food. I have tried everything from growing my own Tortoise weeds to taking weeds and plants from the garden, she will not eat them. I give her a small variety of greens and add supplements. I have even put grass to grow in her table, my problem is, she will only eat fresh greens like kale, cauliflower and broccoli, romaine lettuce, carrot, parsley. She loves fruit but she only has that as a rare treat. She eats very well, when I put her out for a walk she will try and eat everything she can fit in her mouth. Any advice on what I can do to make her eating habits more healthy for her? Also I have read many things about how often to feed her, should I be missing a day a week of feeding?

Any help would be great

Jo

Hi Jo welcome to the forum.  :)

Next time it might be best to start a new post as it will get seen more and get more replies  :)

The only way to change her diet is to stop feeding her the old diet and offer weeds and flowers daily it will take her some time but she will eat them in the end she wont starve her self, they are stubborn though and will wait for you to give in if you do give in to her she'll never eat a healthy diet, and at the minute nearly every thing she's eating is bad for her have a look here at the fruit and veg section and it will tell you each item your feeding at the minute  http://www.thetortoi.../plant-database.

Also it's best to feed her daily but a small amount of natural food, do you weigh her regular to keep a check on weight gain.  :)

#32 Jo King

Jo King

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:54 AM

Hi Karen.

Yes she is weighed very month now and with a slow gain. She is due a vet visit as I like to take her every year just for a check up. The link you sent was great, off to the garden center today to buy her more of the good stuff. Thank you Karen very much appreciated

Jo x

#33 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:07 AM

Hi Karen.

Yes she is weighed very month now and with a slow gain. She is due a vet visit as I like to take her every year just for a check up. The link you sent was great, off to the garden center today to buy her more of the good stuff. Thank you Karen very much appreciated

Jo x

Hi Jo, just remember you can't feed garden centre plants straight away as they've been grown in fertilisers and chemicals that are bad for her, re-plant them and wait until new growth comes through, you might also find this book really helpful this is great for taking on weed walks it tells you what's good weeds and has pictures to help you id them.  https://www.facebook.com/TortoisePlantsBook/?hc_ref=ARS1RjivdqivCh8IkAgda3EN2_Rk5MilGobcOJimKuOeOtQALD5--krUGg-g_avwRyg&fref=nf :)  :) 

You can also sow weed seeds  at this time of year ready for spring.  :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users