- - - - -

Share your Tortoise stories here

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:55 PM

Does anyone have any stories to share about their tortoises- Funny?Sad?Scary?.Thought it might be an idea to to put them here where everyone can read them. Over to you tortoise lovers......?????
Freddy

#2 Guest_michele_*

Guest_michele_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:53 PM

I've only had Pebbles for a year ,so no stories yet,apart from he/she loving my dogs,she will RUN over to them head up and follow them around

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

I used to have four lovely marginata tortoises, until my husband decided to put down ant killer where I gather my weeds under my bay window. He didnt tell me he had done this, I picked the weeds and fed them to my marginata. And all of them died. He was so devestated at what he had done, he now does not use any chemicals on our garden without saying so.
Not a nice story, but goes to show how easily these things can happen, and I am always nagging about using chemicals and poisonous plants in gardens because of this.

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (michele @ May 28 2010, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've only had Pebbles for a year ,so no stories yet,apart from he/she loving my dogs,she will RUN over to them head up and follow them around

That's really nice Michele!Such a cute and happy story!

#5 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ May 29 2010, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to have four lovely marginata tortoises, until my husband decided to put down ant killer where I gather my weeds under my bay window. He didnt tell me he had done this, I picked the weeds and fed them to my marginata. And all of them died. He was so devestated at what he had done, he now does not use any chemicals on our garden without saying so.
Not a nice story, but goes to show how easily these things can happen, and I am always nagging about using chemicals and poisonous plants in gardens because of this.

Very devastating story Sandy!and very valuable advice too.Let all tortoise lovers beware...

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:59 PM

Keep sending in your stories everyone!!!

#7 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:02 PM

OMG!! That's an awful thing to have happend. unsure.gif You both must have been devastated. sad.gif

It was good of you to share this Sandy... it might prevent it happening to others.

Trying to think of torty stories... one that springs to mind was from last summer, my littlies had only just starting going into the outside enclosure with Hettie, I was constantly checking on them. On one particular search it turned a little frantic when I realised I couldn't find them. Hettie was looking over the top of a piece of log roll, it suddenly dawned on me she was able to see over the top... she couldn't usually, yep you guessed it... a baby under each foot!! angry.gif
Luckily everone was ok!! rolleyes.gif

Paula x

#8 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (Hettie @ May 29 2010, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG!! That's an awful thing to have happend. unsure.gif You both must have been devastated. sad.gif

It was good of you to share this Sandy... it might prevent it happening to others.

Trying to think of torty stories... one that springs to mind was from last summer, my littlies had only just starting going into the outside enclosure with Hettie, I was constantly checking on them. On one particular search it turned a little frantic when I realised I couldn't find them. Hettie was looking over the top of a piece of log roll, it suddenly dawned on me she was able to see over the top... she couldn't usually, yep you guessed it... a baby under each foot!! angry.gif
Luckily everone was ok!! rolleyes.gif

Paula x

Phew! That was a close one Paula!!!

#9 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:14 AM

Hi everyone
I have a 5 years old Hermann girl called Cola..She has me chuckling most days but had me roaring with laughter on a recent trip to the reptile vets for a check up recently.
I had her wormed last summer and like to take her to the vets at least once a year for him to look over her and give me the thumbs up. He was picking her up, poking in all her crevices with me frantically afraid he was being a bit rough with her.. He then sat her in the scales and weighed her and she just looked at me as if to say "get me away from him will you".. he sat her on his table next to all his paperwork while explaining to me that it's always a good idea to bring in a stool sample on my next visit.. with that Cola kind of looked and me and tutted, wiggled her bum and poo'd all over his paperwork.. she then strained her neck round to face him as if to say "that enough for you"... we both really laughed..

Any other's poo on demand? Or is she just a clever girl?

Love to all your girls & boys
Jeanette @ Cola

#10 Guest_lovebug009_*

Guest_lovebug009_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (JEANETTE @ May 30 2010, 06:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi everyone
I have a 5 years old Hermann girl called Cola..She has me chuckling most days but had me roaring with laughter on a recent trip to the reptile vets for a check up recently.
I had her wormed last summer and like to take her to the vets at least once a year for him to look over her and give me the thumbs up. He was picking her up, poking in all her crevices with me frantically afraid he was being a bit rough with her.. He then sat her in the scales and weighed her and she just looked at me as if to say "get me away from him will you".. he sat her on his table next to all his paperwork while explaining to me that it's always a good idea to bring in a stool sample on my next visit.. with that Cola kind of looked and me and tutted, wiggled her bum and poo'd all over his paperwork.. she then strained her neck round to face him as if to say "that enough for you"... we both really laughed..

Jeanette @ Cola

That had me laugh out loud! I feel the same way at the vets I have to bit my tongue half the time because I think he is being a little too rough also. I will share this story with my Leia so she can be prepared on her visit next year biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#11 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE (JEANETTE @ May 30 2010, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi everyone

Jeanette @ Cola

Ha Ha!What a funny story Jeanette!Bet he'll remember her next time after she left her calling card!!! biggrin.gif
Freddy

#12 Guest_jackiedots_*

Guest_jackiedots_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:19 PM

Freddy, I love this topic and have kept up to date with the new stories but sadly had no funny stories to tell as yet. That was until yesterday !!!!
I had Herman & Esme out in their enclosure which is on a roof garden 4 stories high and about 60 metres from the beach. Their only predators would be seagulls. They were leisurely meandering through the plants, stopping for the odd nibble when almost from nowhere, the air sea rescue helicopter swooped past. The noise was horrendously loud and the rotator blades seemed to make everything vibrate. Well, Herman actually broke into a fast gallop. I have never seen him move so fast in the 6 months that I have had him. He did a complete circle of the campanula in about 2 seconds and shot under a hosta shrub. It was like watching a video that had been put on fast-forward. My friend and I who were specifically 'tort watching' and were only about 3' away at the time just couldn't stop laughing. Esme, on the other hand, took no notice whatsoever. Of course it was sad in as much that it had obviously frightened Herman but he was back grazing within about 10 minutes ( after a short cuddle). wub.gif

#13 Guest_Ellie Rose_*

Guest_Ellie Rose_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (michele @ May 28 2010, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha sounds exactly the same as what my Tiggy does with our cats! It's very funny. (:

#14 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (jackiedots @ Jun 6 2010, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Freddy, I love this topic and have kept up to date with the new stories but sadly had no funny stories to tell as yet. That was until yesterday !!!!
I had Herman & Esme out in their enclosure which is on a roof garden 4 stories high and about 60 metres from the beach. Their only predators would be seagulls. They were leisurely meandering through the plants, stopping for the odd nibble when almost from nowhere, the air sea rescue helicopter swooped past. The noise was horrendously loud and the rotator blades seemed to make everything vibrate. Well, Herman actually broke into a fast gallop. I have never seen him move so fast in the 6 months that I have had him. He did a complete circle of the campanula in about 2 seconds and shot under a hosta shrub. It was like watching a video that had been put on fast-forward. My friend and I who were specifically 'tort watching' and were only about 3' away at the time just couldn't stop laughing. Esme, on the other hand, took no notice whatsoever. Of course it was sad in as much that it had obviously frightened Herman but he was back grazing within about 10 minutes ( after a short cuddle). wub.gif

Ha Ha! That had everyone here in my house laughing Jackie! I can just picture him running!!!Whoever said Tortoises were slow !!!ha ha!!!Nice one!!! biggrin.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy & Billiejo biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#15 Guest_Ilkeston_*

Guest_Ilkeston_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:40 PM

We have had Flower since 16 July 2009 and Baby since 23rd December 2009, both are Hermanns tortoise and we thought Flower a girl (though he has since proved he is definitely male and has turned into something of a serial flasher!) and Baby a boy. Flowers paperwork says hatched 2007 and Baby 2008 but not sure how accurate that is as they were hatched in Slovenia and Baby is much smaller than Flower... Anyhoo!...

When we first had Baby and it was bath time I would put Flower in the bath and let Baby have a wander around the kitchen. Thankfully, I kept an eye on Baby, whilst bathing Flower, frequently checking where he was. Good job really, on one of my checks I found Baby deciding that it would be fun to see what it was like underneath the washing machine! Thank goodness I was looking! I don't know if he would've actually fitted under there but he was certainly more than happy to give it a go! Now we have draft excluders blocking off the washing machine and tumble drier so the little bugger can't get under them! And people think they are slow and boring! Every morning I cut two slices of tomato, then I cut the slices along the central partitions, and cut either side of the 'stalk' so that I am just left with the stalk and seeds and the flesh is gone. When I feed them before I put the food in I hand feed them both the parts equivalent of one slice each as they love them. Flower always turns and speeds towards me as soon as I say "morning Flower, morning Baby" it makes me smile so much to see their faces every morning. Today I went into the garden to speak to my hubby, Mark and the tortoise were obviously in their enclosure. As soon as Flower heard my voice he turned and hurried towards me, it made me smile so much to see! I gave him a head rub and off he trotted again! The obvious choice is that he associates me with food but it's NOT, it's because he loves me and I don't care what anyone says!! If you try and say it is I won't listen... Ner ner na ner ner... I'm not listening ....ner na ner ner ner... and so on... I will now read any posts after mine with my fingers in my ear whilst repeating "lalalalala...I can't hear you...lalalalalala"... etc so I can still believe it's me Flower loves and not tomato's! biggrin.gif

#16 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:34 PM

Awww, that's lovely! My littlies don't love me like Flower loves you!! Baby Boo waves his front leg at me in a threatening 'come on and fight' type way, and Bailey has only just started keeping his eyes open when I speak to him! We don't like to rush these things! rolleyes.gif It's only been 14 months of chats and daily baths...

Paula x

#17 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:57 PM

Hee Hee! What a cute story.I think flower and baby truly do love you!!!As torts.certainly know from their senses who their owners are!!!Rest assured!!! biggrin.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#18 Guest_lovebug009_*

Guest_lovebug009_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:27 AM

QUOTE (Ilkeston @ Jun 16 2010, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have had Flower since 16 July 2009 and Baby since 23rd December 2009, both are Hermanns tortoise and we thought Flower a girl (though he has since proved he is definitely male and has turned into something of a serial flasher!) and Baby a boy. Flowers paperwork says hatched 2007 and Baby 2008 but not sure how accurate that is as they were hatched in Slovenia and Baby is much smaller than Flower... Anyhoo!...

When we first had Baby and it was bath time I would put Flower in the bath and let Baby have a wander around the kitchen. Thankfully, I kept an eye on Baby, whilst bathing Flower, frequently checking where he was. Good job really, on one of my checks I found Baby deciding that it would be fun to see what it was like underneath the washing machine! Thank goodness I was looking! I don't know if he would've actually fitted under there but he was certainly more than happy to give it a go! Now we have draft excluders blocking off the washing machine and tumble drier so the little bugger can't get under them! And people think they are slow and boring! Every morning I cut two slices of tomato, then I cut the slices along the central partitions, and cut either side of the 'stalk' so that I am just left with the stalk and seeds and the flesh is gone. When I feed them before I put the food in I hand feed them both the parts equivalent of one slice each as they love them. Flower always turns and speeds towards me as soon as I say "morning Flower, morning Baby" it makes me smile so much to see their faces every morning. Today I went into the garden to speak to my hubby, Mark and the tortoise were obviously in their enclosure. As soon as Flower heard my voice he turned and hurried towards me, it made me smile so much to see! I gave him a head rub and off he trotted again! The obvious choice is that he associates me with food but it's NOT, it's because he loves me and I don't care what anyone says!! If you try and say it is I won't listen... Ner ner na ner ner... I'm not listening ....ner na ner ner ner... and so on... I will now read any posts after mine with my fingers in my ear whilst repeating "lalalalala...I can't hear you...lalalalalala"... etc so I can still believe it's me Flower loves and not tomato's! biggrin.gif

I know there is a line between natural environments and keeping contact to a minimum for some keepers, and here is the but..... having an animal hatched in captivity and breed for the sole purpose of being a pet, I have been grappling with this fine line and have tried to provide the closest environment possible to her natural one and showing her all the love I do for my other pets. I have only had mine for 2 months and 20 day (but who is counting)She already looks directly at myself and boyfriend (co owner) when we speak to her and has recently walked right over to me several times when she is on her free (supervised) roam of the back yard. I know she is comfortable with me as, and yes I am currently knocking on wood, she doesn't pee on me or go into her shell when I pick her up and comes over to me on her own.

My cute story is how Princess Leia will if I put her in front of food in her inside home or a tasty weed outside, she will walk away from it and circle around and "find it on he own" she started this behavior last month and I think it is adorable almost as if she is saying, "I will find it on my own mom!". She still will take a treat from our hands and practically runs over to do so. It kind of looks like a tape that has been speed up:) as much as we love to see her enthusiasm we do keep this to a minimum, like when we have company ..hehe.

#19 Guest_Ilkeston_*

Guest_Ilkeston_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (Hettie @ Jun 16 2010, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awww, that's lovely! My littlies don't love me like Flower loves you!! Baby Boo waves his front leg at me in a threatening 'come on and fight' type way, and Bailey has only just started keeping his eyes open when I speak to him! We don't like to rush these things! rolleyes.gif It's only been 14 months of chats and daily baths...

Paula x

Your post made me laugh out loud! I could just picture your little tort waving his foot in the air menacingly! A bit like a cross between shaking his fist at you or pointing at you like the evil monkey in 'Family guy! angry.gif laugh.gif muttering under his breath. "put the food down and back away... Tortoises are such clever, little things! They make me smile every day! I can't believe I waited H to get one! I love my torts, they make me smile every day and I wouldn't be without them!b

#20 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (Hettie @ Jun 16 2010, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paula x

That's a nice story Paula!!!Although torts. don't have good hearing they are very sensitive to sound vibrations!!! biggrin.gif
Regards
Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users