- - - - -

Share your Tortoise stories here

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Ilkeston_*

Guest_Ilkeston_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:40 AM

We were sat the other afternoon/evening and had the two torts, Baby & flower, wandering around the front room after they had had their bath. They were both 'exploring' the front room, even a though they've been in there countless times! It's as if they have a bit of OCD and like to make sure we haven't moved anything! Anyway, both were having a trundle round and Flower started walking toward Mark (hubby) as he got there he opened his mouth as wide as possible and bit Mark's big toe (he had bare feet) when he lifted his foot up, (because it bloomin' well hurt!) Flower walked through where his foot was, since he had apparently left it in his way!! (The cheek of it!) Later on, after Flower had done another 'check' on the room, he again went to Marks feet, but thankfully headed towards the back of his heel this time! Unfortunately he had lulled us (or should I say Mark!) into a false sense of security though! He went straight to the back of Marks heel, opened his mouth nice and wide again and bit the back of Mark's heel! I couldn't believe what he managed to do! The skin at the back of your heel is very tight with not a lot of give in it, but Flower gave it such a nip that he actually managed to 'tent' the skin! blink.gif Poor old Mark, still, Flower had him 'trained' to automatically lift his feet whenever Flower headed his way so he wouldn't have to walk around Mark. I have to say, when we had our dog I don't remember his training being quite so brutal! Still, made me laugh... I mean be very loving and sympathetic to my wonderful hubby! rolleyes.gif

#22 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:08 PM

OMG!! That is so laugh out loud funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Teach the silly sod to leave his feet lying around........ rolleyes.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#23 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

You would have thought that Mark would have been more careful wacko.gif .... I mean, once bitten!! laugh.gif

Paula x

#24 Guest_Ilkeston_*

Guest_Ilkeston_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (Hettie @ Jul 29 2010, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You would have thought that Mark would have been more careful wacko.gif .... I mean, once bitten!! laugh.gif

Paula x

I think you'll find Paula it's once bitten twice as funny! It was the surprise on his face and in his voice as he said "That really hurt!!" aww bless him! Funny though! blush.gif

#25 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

I have 2 hermanns, boris and morris, i usually let them have free range of the garden while im out with them, but if i pop inside i put them in a large 'cage' so to speak. well after 5 minutes of being inside i popped back out to check on them and boris was nowhere to be found, i hunted high and low with my partner, asking neighbours to check in the gardens etc.. then thinking the worst that hed got out onto the back field i went looking. then just as we were almost ready to give up looking for the day my partner decided to check inbetween the two fences between us and the neighbour and there he was, but as we tried to get him out he dug his claws into the ground and wouldnt move so i think he must have enjoyed it.

I can gladly say he was grounded for a few weeks after that and wasnt allowed out of my sight tongue.gif

Was very happy to have him back though, he is just so mischevious!! morris is much more laid back and even if the latch was open he probably couldnt be bothered to escape tongue.gif

#26 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

laugh.gif They really do have such different personalities don't they? wub.gif

Paula x

#27 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (xsammie89x @ Aug 2 2010, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have 2 hermanns, boris and morris, i usually let them have free range of the garden while im out with them, but if i pop inside i put them in a large 'cage' so to speak. well after 5 minutes of being inside i popped back out to check on them and boris was nowhere to be found, i hunted high and low with my partner, asking neighbours to check in the gardens etc.. then thinking the worst that hed got out onto the back field i went looking. then just as we were almost ready to give up looking for the day my partner decided to check inbetween the two fences between us and the neighbour and there he was, but as we tried to get him out he dug his claws into the ground and wouldnt move so i think he must have enjoyed it.

I can gladly say he was grounded for a few weeks after that and wasnt allowed out of my sight tongue.gif

Was very happy to have him back though, he is just so mischevious!! morris is much more laid back and even if the latch was open he probably couldnt be bothered to escape tongue.gif

Hi There,
Torts. can be real escape artists and daredevils. Sometimes they seem to try for the narrowest of gaps knowing that, that is their exit to freedom he! he!!! I've also had some near misses with my own tort. Billiejo who has been found in various neighbours gardens over the years. Sometimes it can be a challenge just to find her in the garden when bringing her in for the night. The places she gets. rolleyes.gif Thanks so much for sharing your tort story. It was really great. biggrin.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#28 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

HERE IS A SCARY STORY WITH A HAPPY ENDING.......
My tort 'Billiejo' fell down a water filled shore in our back garden a number of years ago.She was there the entire day before we found her.When we got her out her head was limp and lifeless.There were no signs of life or movement in her. We thought she had drowned. My Dad wanted to bury her immediately before I got home from work as he thought she was dead but my mother wouldn't give up on her and decided to administer mouth to mouth resuscitation. She then placed 'Billiejo' in a basin of warm water to try to bring her around. 'Billiejo' still wasn't moving. So my mother wrapped her in kitchen foil and a woolen jumper and placed her in a shoe box beside the bed with a glowing lamp and we all undertook an all-night vigil hoping 'Billiejo' would survive. Next day we found that she had opened her eyes, her movement was returning and she was slowly coming round. We were all so relieved and thanks to my mother's determination and persistence our tort 'Billiejo' survived and today is over 50 years old. Incidentally my mother got a very bad sore throat afterwards but she felt it was all worth it just to see 'Billiejo's gleaming eyes again. biggrin.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#29 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:12 PM

Phew! Well done mum, and they say cats have 9 lives...

Paula x

#30 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:15 PM

Phew Freddy that was a close shave.

Well done to your mom for not giving up on Billie Jo. Just think of all the years of pleasure you would have missed out on if your Dad had buried her.

Gail
xx

#31 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (gail69 @ Aug 24 2010, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Phew Freddy that was a close shave.

Well done to your mom for not giving up on Billie Jo. Just think of all the years of pleasure you would have missed out on if your Dad had buried her.

Gail
xx

Thanks Paula & Gail for your nice comments.You're both so kind.
Best wishes
Freddy biggrin.gif

#32 Guest_Ilkeston_*

Guest_Ilkeston_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

OMG Freddy! How brilliant is your Mum?!! wub.gif have o say, I would've done the same thing! I do it when my cats bring mice/birds in that are clinging to life. We have saved some before but sadly not all. I remember performing a cesarian on oe mouse who was clearly full term pregnant but sadly the longest one lasted was an hour. sad.gif I didn't think they'd survive but I had to give them that chance of life, I couldn't just leave them and that's exactly what your Mum did Freddy. It shows she has a good heart. I used to have an Uncle John (who's passed now) and he used to have an 8ft Boa constrictor, it was great to handle and never once hurt any of us. When it was very tiny, when my Uncle John first had it, it escaped his enclosure a couple of times and my Granny Laird (who hasn't the best sight in the world!)hoovered him up a couple of times! Thankfully it was in the old days of hoover bags instead of cyclones and she managed to get it out of the bag and it was perfectly fine! As I said, it grew to 8ft! There were lessons to be learned there...1. Make sure your enclosure is secure and 2. never let my Granny hoover your room if you have pets! laugh.gif So, ultimately...hats off to you Mrs McGavin...You're a 'top bird'! wub.gif biggrin.gif wink.gif

#33 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

Thank you Sharon for your kind comments. I passed them on to Mrs.Mc and she's still blushing blush.gif Thanks again. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#34 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:07 PM

My 'nephew in law''s tortoise fell in their garden pond and is still around to tell the tale

#35 Guest_italytors_*

Guest_italytors_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Aug 24 2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HERE IS A SCARY STORY WITH A HAPPY ENDING.......
My tort 'Billiejo' fell down a water filled shore in our back garden a number of years ago.She was there the entire day before we found her.When we got her out her head was limp and lifeless.There were no signs of life or movement in her. We thought she had drowned. My Dad wanted to bury her immediately before I got home from work as he thought she was dead but my mother wouldn't give up on her and decided to administer mouth to mouth resuscitation. She then placed 'Billiejo' in a basin of warm water to try to bring her around. 'Billiejo' still wasn't moving. So my mother wrapped her in kitchen foil and a woolen jumper and placed her in a shoe box beside the bed with a glowing lamp and we all undertook an all-night vigil hoping 'Billiejo' would survive. Next day we found that she had opened her eyes, her movement was returning and she was slowly coming round. We were all so relieved and thanks to my mother's determination and persistence our tort 'Billiejo' survived and today is over 50 years old. Incidentally my mother got a very bad sore throat afterwards but she felt it was all worth it just to see 'Billiejo's gleaming eyes again. biggrin.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

Hi Freddy,

Just read this ..... It must have been awful for you (and even worse for Billiejo, of course !!). Good job your mother didn't listen to your Dad and took control of the situation. Girls always know best !!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Great work!

And we've learnt a lesson ..... Never give up on a tortoise smile.gif

Marian
xx

#36 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:34 PM

Hi Marian,
Many thanks for your nice comments. They are very much appreciated. biggrin.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#37 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:21 PM

We have a portable radio which is usually left on the floor near to where my tort.'Billijo' sleeps.The other day she made her way over to the radio and gave it a curious look. There was some interference on the listening channel at the time and and a hissing noise came over the air. 'Billiejo' must have thought it was another rival tortoise and quickly withdrew her head back into her shell, peeking out to make sure the coast was clear. It was very funny. laugh.gif
Freddy biggrin.gif

#38 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

Aww bless her! wub.gif Radio One has the same effect on me these days! laugh.gif

Paula x

#39 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (Hettie @ Oct 7 2010, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aww bless her! wub.gif Radio One has the same effect on me these days! laugh.gif

Paula x

Nice one Paula ha! ha!! laugh.gif
Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#40 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:28 PM

My tort Alfie tries to"make sweet lurve" to my leopard furry slippers and chases after me when I wear them!

Also, there was this one time I was dog sitting for my mums dog. we had a chinese take away and put a small bit down on the dogs plate as you do!! Dog wasnt into chinese as she looked at it and left it. We took no notice.

15mins later, clearing up the plates, went in kitchen to see Alfie flat out on dogs plate with a peice of chow mein on his Tort like head... digging for peas and bean shoots!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users