hermann tortoise and food

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_paula271066_*

Guest_paula271066_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:39 PM

Hi

We got our Hermann tortoise on Thursday and he hasn't eaten that much. He is 3 years old, and I have given him, curly kale, spring greens, dandelion leaves and organic cabbage. He only ate a dandelion flower on saturday, is this normal and do they take sometime to settle in. I have had tortoises before when I was a child, but obviously things have changed lots since then. He is very nosey and likes to investigate things, but im just a little worried about him not eating much. I have also been advised not to hibernate him, does anybody else not hibernate their tortoise. Would be grateful of any advise. Thanks

#2 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

hello paula and welcome to the friendly forum!

Yes tortoises certainly do take time to settle in. We have had ours for only a year and a half and i remember asking the same question! So dont panic!
Did you buy from a shop? the tortoise may only recently have been flown into the country. Or did you as is preferred buy from a breeder? Still it will take time to settle.

Can we ask what the housing, heating, substrate is like for your tortoise??

Also have you bathed your toroise yet? If not get a tupperware box and put some luke warm (not hot) water in up to neck height, so the tort can walk around comfortably and drink. This should be done daily. The tort may poo in the bath. This is common. Sometimes they may not seem to enjoy it to much, but it does them the world of good!

If i have sounded like im talking to a novice , when you already know all of this , i apologise, !!

As regards hibernating, (again a question i asked!), Yes your tortoise can, and should be hibernated. I guess you probably bought from a shop if advised otherwise. It wont harm him not to be for a year or so, but a lot of benifit will be gained from a successful hibernation. Its stressful , but worth it. We hibernated ours this year for the first time and my nails still havnt recovered!! Ours are younger than yours. Dont stress about it now. wait till september/october and we will all be starting to think about the dreaded hibernation!!!

By the way whats your torts name , and any chance of a pic??

regards mark.

#3 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:30 PM

Hi Paula!
Congratulations on your new arrival!!!
You can find more info.about what your tort.should be eating by reading the food topics on the Hermann Tortoise page.Best of luck with your little fella!
Kind Regards
Freddy&BillyJoe :D :D

#4 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:29 PM

As has already been said, it can take a few weeks for tortoises to really settle into a new home.
Eating at this point is not important for the tortoise, but is for you:0)
Tortoises can go weeks without eating (not that I recommend it) but they can go without water. Bathing regularly every day for month will make sure he/she is hydrated.
The diet you are trying to feed your tortoise is not a good one:0(
Anything from the cabbage family inhibits the absorbtion of calcium to their bones. Their diet should be weeds and flowers. www.tortoises.net for a great downloadable booklet on tortoises and their diet.

#5 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:22 PM

Hi Sandy,
Just looked up that site that you recommended www.tortoises.net.Top notch!!! :D
Regards
Freddy

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:58 PM

Hi Paula

Welcome to the forum!! :) Congratulations on your new arrival. :wub:

Paula x :laugh: :D

#7 Guest_paula271066_*

Guest_paula271066_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

Hi

Thanks for all your replies, which have been really helpful, I know he needs to be on more weeds and ive gone out of my way to find dandelion flowers. Ive also started to grow pansies and nasturtiums for him which I know will take a while but at least ive started, im just a bit scared at the moment of giving him the wrong weed, the only weeds i know are dandelions and clover. Anyway our torts name is victor.

#8 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:29 PM

Victor is lovely!! :wub:

We are all finding new weeds and flowers to feed as we go along, another easy one to identify that is all over the place and a really good torty food is plantain. We should have one in the identified plants section, but you can always google, image it for more pics. :)

Paula x

#9 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:31 PM

Hi Paula,
Victor certainly looks great! Dandelion leaves and clover are fine as part of a mixed diet but you will gradually get to know others.Try also some soft leafy lettuce types like Butterhead and Little Gem.These are good for starting off!Best of luck with Victor,Paula.Any problems you know where we are!
Kind Regards
Freddy&BillyJoe :D :D

#10 Guest_paula271066_*

Guest_paula271066_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:56 PM

sorry not answered some questions, he has a table top house, he has a uva strip light and an infra red night spot lamp. I have given him a bath and i must admit I just thought it was a couple of times a week but will make sure hes bathed daily, today is the longest day he has stayed awake, usually he has been in his hidy hole from 5pm. He loves having his chin and head stroked too, so im hoping he settles it soon :)

#11 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:10 PM

Hi Paula,
It would be great if you could put him outside in a small, safe garden on warmer days! They really love that!!! When you do decide to eventually hibernate him he will have to be well fed during the summer months as tortoises rely on body fat to get them through winter hibernation.Best to put this off for another year or so until he is a little older and until he becomes a little more used to his new environment.
Regards
Freddy :D

#12 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:28 PM

Hi Paula. Congrats on your lovely tortoise. Can I be nosy and ask you to be more exact about what heat and light you are providing? UVB is important. Most of don't provide any kind of heat at night when the tortoise is indoors because we find they don't need it. Except possibly in the middle of winter if your house is a really cold one.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

A good tortoise plant that I found quite easy to grow from seeds is Sow Thistle. They come up quite quickly. I agree with Paula about Plantain which is a very common weed and we don't easily confuse it for other plants either.

#13 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:43 AM

Hi Paula

If its an ifra red light you use for your tortoise, you might find its not enough bright light for him. Most of us either use a combined heat/uv lamp which is more expensive to start with, but is cheaper in the long run, as they can last up to two years. Where as the UV tubes only last up to six months and then have to be replaced. As the UV depletes in them quite quickly. A spotlight would be the heat when using a UV tube.
An infra red light only gives off heat, so your tortoise is not actually getting enough bright light.
Tortoises are motivated by light as much as heat.
I use a UV combined lamp, and an extra ordinary tube for some extra light.
I hope this helps.

#14 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:36 AM

Hiya, welcome to the forum from me & mine :wub:

#15 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:02 PM

lovely looking boy is victor. Nice smoooth shell.

Sounds like your doing well!!

#16 Guest_lovebug009_*

Guest_lovebug009_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:27 AM

Hi Paula,
I'm a newbie too I have had my Princess Leia for only 2 months and a few days! Leia took about a month to settle in and it was the longest month in history :D but we made it and she is eating much more consistently now. She lost some weight and I was scared, but with everyone's advice and support she has just made it back to her starting weight and shows no signs of stopping. Welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users