eggs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tortoisemad_*

Guest_tortoisemad_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:26 PM

hiya one of my tortoises laid eggs 2 weeks ago which is great but is there anyway too know if there a tortoise inside the eggs when do you see the moving about ect as this my first time having eggs i am keeping the eggs at abou 32c

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:59 PM

Hi there,
Afraid I'm not very well up on Tortoise breeding or eggs.Best to wait for Sandy's (Cyberangel) advice.She should be back on the forum early tomorrow.She's a girl who knows!!! Sorry I couldn't be of any help!!!
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_tortoisemad_*

Guest_tortoisemad_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:02 PM

its k thank for reply to me anyways

#4 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:19 AM

hi congratulations on your eggs.i do keep and breed hermans tortoises and currently have several eggs in incubation myself.you should be able to tell if you have fertile eggs because they tend to chalk up after a few days .this means the fertile egg will begin to turn whiter ,healthy eggs actually have a slightly pink tinge to them this begins as a small spot on the egg which gradually spreads around the egg in a band until the entire egg is covered.if you pass a small beam of torch light over the egg when it is dark you will see this as a cloudy effect and with experience is very obvious.once this is complete you will be able to see what has been described as the circle of life,this is a small circle of red vien which is hard to see at first.after this spidery red viens start to spread throughout the egg and you can often see a small red blob in this which is the start of the embryo.this blob is what people are able to see moving,it sort of shudders like a jelly on a plate at times.after about a month or so the egg interior is is red and it has become more difficult to see what is going on inside .the embryo is developing and a small air pocket will become noticeable at one end of the egg.towards the end of the incubation about 2 month's the egg will be dark inside and with a small torch you can clearly see up to a third of the egg may be air pocket i check this nightly on mine and when they are about to pip this air pocket goes or becomes ragged looking so i know to check them in the morning before work normally they have pipped overnight.i must say it really is safer if you dont disturb the eggs during incubation just open the incubator for a few seconds daily and keep the water topped up.at 50 days place a small torch on each egg in total darkness and you can tell which eggs are totally empty and which are not.if you have any questions about incubation or post hatching care i will do my very best to help you.
terry
p.s.GOOD LUCK.

#5 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:07 AM

morning Terry, that was a very good & helpful description of an incubating egg, thank you!

#6 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:23 AM

good morning Dawn.i have tried to take photo's but my camera is just not up to it, maybe one day.although its not always a good idea to encourage people to mess with the eggs and in fact it is always safest to leave them alone once they are in the incubator they are easily ruined particularly in the early stages of development.
terry

#7 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:37 AM

Well said Terry, I cant add anything to his advice.
Except, no matter what I leave eggs until well and truely passed hatching dates, just in case:0) As I dont always get the candling right.

#8 Guest_tortoisemad_*

Guest_tortoisemad_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:11 PM

thank you so much for your help terry my tortoise flower laid 7 eggs on the 23rd of may so when should the eggs hatch , i have them at about 32c is that ok

#9 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:23 PM

hi 32c is fine just make sure it doesnt go above this.the humidity needs to be 70% you should see the first hatch around 60 days if they are fertile.if they start to hatch please let me know and i will try and help you with them hatching.
terry

#10 Guest_tortoisemad_*

Guest_tortoisemad_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:47 PM

thank you i will need all the help i can get

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users