Breeding...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:11 AM

As you well know my Frank is ready and raring to go on the breeding front - you only got to look at the stupid grin on his face when he tries to see that :rolleyes: - he is a 2001 boy, and I have my two girlies - who whilst Frank does his stupid grin, they look more like they are thinking about shopping or the like (come on ladies, you all know what I'm on about... :laugh: ) - they are 1999 & 1997....anyhew, Frank does all the right things - from the flirting to the 'squeal of pleasure' - yet he doesn't actually get his dinkle out, and instead uses that horrible hard bit at the end of his tail :unsure: though it doesn't erm, penitrate :blush: Is this immuturity on his part?

He doesn't hassle them that much, and they are more than capable of dealing with him, so I'm not concerned on that front.

Unfortunatly I am at work at the mo so haven't got their lengths with me, though I think they are written on one of the hibernation posts (if so I'll edit this..)

Is this normal? :wacko:

Ok their lengths/weights (pre hibernation, so they will be slightly more now) are - Frank 13.3cm & 500g, Tally 16.5cm & 800g, Grace 18cm & 1kg (again I will adjust these when I get home to their current weight/length, but for now use these)

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:34 AM

Hi Dawn

Terry will be a bigger help I think, as I think he keeps hermans but not one hundred percent sure.
Anyway, my adult males are all big enough for my females, this will have something to do with it. Your male might well be a little immature, or not quite big enough to do the business. I had a juvenile male who would bash for England but not get anywhere, apart from damaging the females shells. So I rehomed him, as I still had the two males.
If tortoises are grown slowly as in the wild, they dont actually become sexual mature until around 15yrs old. But in captivity it can be younger. But maybe the male has to be bigger and more mature than the females.
Your females are really big enough for breeding, so no problems with them:0)
As you can see I am not sure:0)

#3 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:03 AM

hi Dawn lol. dinkle is not supposed to be out it is supposed to be in ,if you know what i mean.if it is out and can be seen then he is doing it wrong lol.i have found with hermans ,for a long time i only had a trio.ossie would court lassie constantly ,they actually dont mate all the time and seem to spend a lot of time resting and just stroking the females back.only when lassie was gravid did he spend any time with benjie and as soon as lassie had laid he would return to her within days.(lassie is the larger female and often laid a third clutch ).it wasnt until we grew another male did i start to see any fertile eggs from benjie so you may find the same with yours if he is not an experienced male he may be missing the spot so the first few clutches may not be as fertile as they will be once he is mature.i have had 2 girls lay for the first time this year one clutch infertile the other girls clutch looks lilke all but one fertile .this really is down to the attentions of my younger males ,the two youngsters have both been with them so im not sure who is the father but egg is the most active and he has made his mark and i am now getting fertile eggs from benjie.as Sandy quite rightly said yours are large enough now so i would certainly incubate any eggs laid and just hope he hits the spot lol.never give up on matings i had a tgg who laid infertile eggs for about 5 years then one year two hatched and now 20 years later she normally lays 100% fertile eggs.
terry

#4 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

Thank you both for your replies..

Terry when I say it's not out, I mean he doesn't even bother to actually get it out of his tail - I know theres a dinkie in their cos by christ have I seen it!!! :blink: :laugh: :laugh: He seems to just use his tail as his dinkie! (Typical male, blooming lazy!)

#5 Guest_Robink_*

Guest_Robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:09 PM

:laugh: :laugh: Were having the same problem here Dawn :laugh: :laugh:

#6 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

Have you tried asking Jeremy Kyle's advice. :laugh: :D :laugh:

#7 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

I would like to see how he sorted that problem out:0)

#8 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:23 PM

ha ha!!
That's very funny!!!
Freddy & Billiejo :D :D

#9 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:15 AM

Blimey what are you lot like!!!! :laugh: :laugh: