Old tortoise just laid eggs!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sussexlady_*

Guest_sussexlady_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:21 PM

Hi there,
I am new to this forum, we have a herman tortoise who must be around 40-50 years old. My husband got him! when he was a small child, (hubby's now approaching 50!)

Just been out in the garden and suprise suprise SHE has just laid 6 eggs. Now I know these cannot be fertile as we only have the one. What should I do with these eggs? will she mind if we remove them? how many can we expect her to lay??

Sorry its a load of questions but this has never happened in all the years we've had her, Is there any thing else we need to do to her, as all we generally do is feed her, and let her out of her run when we are in the garden as she can really move.
Thanks for your help. :rolleyes:

Jo

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:30 PM

Hi Jo

If she has not been around a male, then just leave the eggs in the ground. As they wont be fertile.
Its probably the heat thats put her into laying mode. She might well have laid before and you hadnt seen it. As they cover the nest well, and you cant see where they have laid.
Just give her a drink when she has finished, and some weeds. Also make sure you have a cuttle bone or two laying around her enclosure. As egg laying can deplete their calcium levels.

#3 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:37 PM

Jo

Hi Jo and welcome to the forum,
I also have a 40-50 year old Hermann's tortoise since I was a boy! And he is still going strong.So congrats on your female!What a lovely story! She must have been looked after well to be still around.So my advice is to keep doing whatever your doing!!! I'm afraid as my tortoise is a male I know very little about eggs!!! Suffice to say that if they are infertile there is very little you can do.If she has laid them in the ground it may be best just to cover them up with soil and leave as is.But,I have to be honest I'm not too sure.Maybe you should wait for some more advice here on the forum. There are plenty of people who can help!!!
Kind Regards
Freddy & Billyjoe :D

#4 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:20 PM

hi Jo i keep and breed hermans tortoise and provided as you say there is no chance they are fertile then just follow Sandy's excellent advice.if she doesnt eat the cuttle bone then you can scrape a little on her food when you feed her and a nice warm soak in a bowl of water so she can drink should be sufficient.did she dig a nest and lay the eggs or did she just drop them on the ground if she just dropped them then it may be an idea to have her xrayed in case she still has eggs in her ,as these can cause problems if they arent passed.hermans tortoises can and often do nest 2 or even 3 times a year so please ensure she has suitable nest sites available to her.
terry

#5 Guest_sussexlady_*

Guest_sussexlady_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for all your helpful advice. She slept for hours yesterday afer her efforts, but is back to her usual self, sprightly and inquisitive today...and I have to get used to calling Billy "her" !!

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:07 AM

That's great news Jo!!!
You have a very special one there!!!
I wish you and your husband many more happy years with her!!! :D
Best of luck!!! ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy & Billiejo :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users