- - - - -

Help me sex my Herman?!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ellie Rose_*

Guest_Ellie Rose_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

My herman tortoise is 8 years old so almost fully grown.
When (s)he arrived, on the certificate from the breeder it said she was a girl, (she was three then) but im guessing that was a bit young to tell as she is now eight and her tail is HUGE and pointy... does this mean shes a boy?!

Here are a few pictures:

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (Ellie Rose @ Jun 5 2010, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My herman tortoise is 8 years old so almost fully grown.
When (s)he arrived, on the certificate from the breeder it said she was a girl, (she was three then) but im guessing that was a bit young to tell as she is now eight and her tail is HUGE and pointy... does this mean shes a boy?!

Here are a few pictures:

Hi Ellie!
My adult Hermann has a flat shell underneath and a smaller tail.As far as I know adult males have a hollow dip or groove underneath the shell towards the rear and a larger tail! Looks like you do indeed have a male!!!
Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:41 PM

i would say its a male!!!freddy could you have a female?all my males have big tails and under neath is curved so it fits into the females back

bruce

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (brucefairweather @ Jun 5 2010, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i would say its a male!!!freddy could you have a female?all my males have big tails and under neath is curved so it fits into the females back

bruce

Hi Bruce,
I'd be flabbergasted if my tort was a female!!! I think we need another expert opinion.I hope BillyJoe is not a JillyJoe!!!ha ha!
Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#5 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Jun 5 2010, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Bruce,
I'd be flabergasted if my tort was a female!!! I think we need another expert opinion.I hope BillyJoe is not a JillyJoe!!!ha ha!
Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

Hi Bruce!
Have checked out the sex of my Eastern Hermann's tortoise on the web.You are indeed right! Billyjoe is a Jillyjoe!!! ha ha!!! I'm shocked but pleasantly surprised!!! ha! ha! biggrin.gif
Thanks again Bruce and well spotted!!! wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#6 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:57 PM

hi that is a male for sure.if you want to post pictures of yours Freddie i will have a look.
terry

#7 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (terrypin @ Jun 5 2010, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi that is a male for sure.if you want to post pictures of yours Freddie i will have a look.
terry

Thanks Terry!!!
I've checked out the web and my tort. does indeed seem to be a female Eastern(Boettgeri) Hermann's tortoise from Greece! I would like to be sure though Terry.So I'll post some pics soon!!!
Thanks again for your help.It's much appreciated!!! biggrin.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy

#8 Guest_Ellie Rose_*

Guest_Ellie Rose_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (terrypin @ Jun 5 2010, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
terry

Oooh lovely - So I have been referring to Tiggy as a female for five years! It feels weird to think of her as a boy!
(S)he relentlessly chases the other animals I have (cats & guinea pigs), so I was thinking of getting him a friend, if I introduced a 7 year old female do you think they would get on? I have heard that males constantly pester females and chase them... So is this a good idea?

Thanks! Ellie

#9 Guest_Ilkeston_*

Guest_Ilkeston_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

When we bought 'Flower' last year we were told she 'looked female' but were told we couldn't be sure till she was around 5yrs old. We called her 'Flower' because she loved Pansies. Her certificate says she was captive bred and hatched 2007 in Slovenia which means the only thing we know for certain is that she was born in Slovenia! I posted some photo's of Flower and my younger tort Baby on here at the begining of the year to see what people thought, I was told it was difficult to tell but it seemed Flower a girl and Baby a boy, judging by the photo's I posted, which I have to say weren't that brilliant and their tails were, unfortunately clamped in tight!

In May, Flower decided to help us out and whilst carrying her to the bath he decided to have a wee and pop his penis out at the same time! There wasn't a lot of doubt after that really but still posted on here to confirm. I was told to look on the internet for male tortoise penis', which (unfotunately!!) I did and there was no doubt after that!! Since then he's never missed an oppertunity to get it out! In the food dish, the water dish, the substrate, the bridge, the garden...need I go on?! blush.gif He's like a teenage boy with a copy of the Sunday Sport, he pops it out every chance he gets! laugh.gif

If you look at his shell though and feel it, there doesn't seem to be a dip in it with which to fit on 'the ladies' so he'd better have a bloomin' good grip if he's ever going to make babies. (though there are no plans for this... at least, not on our side, not sure what he thinks!) One thing I did notice he did, before we actually saw it for the first time, was that he would lift himself onto his tip-toes to have a poo. I just assumed he did it so it wouldn't be stuck to his shell but then he would lower himself before walking away dragging it under him anyway. After we had seen his penis for the 1st time I was kneeling beside the enclosure telling Mark about seeing it and he raised up then, because I was at eye level I could se it wasn't a poo but his penis coming out, my God they are a surprising size and a funny shape at the end too. So, I have been well and truly educated now, care of Flower and this friendly, helpfull site and some videos on youtube. Hope this helps?!

#10 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE (Ellie Rose @ Jun 6 2010, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oooh lovely - So I have been referring to Tiggy as a female for five years! It feels weird to think of her as a boy!
(S)he relentlessly chases the other animals I have (cats & guinea pigs), so I was thinking of getting him a friend, if I introduced a 7 year old female do you think they would get on? I have heard that males constantly pester females and chase them... So is this a good idea?

Thanks! Ellie

Hi Ellie,
It's not that males and females don't get on but as you say males pester females to reproduce .So , it would be preferable if they each had their own seperate areas to go to from time to time. That way males can be kept away and the females can get a break and have a rest!!! rolleyes.gif
Regards
Freddy

#11 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:06 AM

#12 Guest_Ellie Rose_*

Guest_Ellie Rose_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (Ilkeston @ Jun 6 2010, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In May, Flower decided to help us out and whilst carrying her to the bath he decided to have a wee and pop his penis out at the same time! There wasn't a lot of doubt after that really but still posted on here to confirm. I was told to look on the internet for male tortoise penis', which (unfotunately!!) I did and there was no doubt after that!! Since then he's never missed an oppertunity to get it out! In the food dish, the water dish, the substrate, the bridge, the garden...need I go on?! blush.gif He's like a teenage boy with a copy of the Sunday Sport, he pops it out every chance he gets! laugh.gif

Hehehe!! That post actually made me laugh out loud!!
Upon showing this post to my mum, and her reading it through she said "Ohhh I always wondered what that thing was that comes out when she does a poo! Guess its HIS penis!" And I turned around and said "Why on earth have you never told me about this before?!" laugh.gif you would think that in the five years we've had Tiggy, my mum would have mentioned to me that Tiggy actually has a penis!! blush.gif
Very very funny. Thanks so much for your reply, you were INCREDIBLY helpful!! It feels so weird referring to her as a him now!! rolleyes.gif

Hi Ellie,
It's not that males and females don't get on but as you say males pester females to reproduce .So , it would be preferable if they each had their own seperate areas to go to from time to time. That way males can be kept away and the females can get a break and have a rest!!!
Regards
Freddy

Hehe okay, maybe I will give the idea of a mate for him a miss for now! Have got to convince my mum to convert the whole garden into a tortoise enclosure first!! biggrin.gif Thankyou for your help!

Ellie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users