- - - - -

Plant ID

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

Hi all. I'm trying to make my whole garden tortoise friendly. So I've been growing plants in pots before putting them in the garden. So could you please help with the identification of these weeds and plants.

The first two pictures are of a stray weed in my patio so I may need to dig it up and replant it.

Attached File  2010_0606Torts0112.JPG   728.72KB   42 downloadsAttached File  2010_0606Torts0113.JPG   719.19KB   35 downloads

The second one is a sedum, but just need to check it's not Sedum acre.
Attached File  2010_0606Torts0114.JPG   851.16KB   42 downloads

This one i'm not sure of, but do think i've seen it in other enclosures.
Attached File  2010_0606Torts0115.JPG   746.79KB   42 downloads

Many thanks

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:15 PM

Hellooooo there! biggrin.gif

The first two are sow thistle.... a firm torty favourite. If you let one or two of the flowers go to seed you could scatter them in your enclosure, or try them in a pot?

I'm not certain of the others, but isnt picture 4 a seedum?

Chin tickles to the little guys. wub.gif

Paula x

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:37 AM

Hi Paula

I agree the last picture is also a sedum. Which sort I have no idea:0)

#4 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:25 PM

Thank you for ID on my weed. It will be given pride of place as the only weed on my patio until I can get seeds or replant it.

I also think the other 2 plants are seedums. I just want to check that the smaller one isn't seedum acre, as it does look quite similar, but think it has white flowers and the other one is ok to feed?

Love Gail
xx

#5 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:18 PM

Picture 4 does look like sedum reflexum... but hang on for others to confirm, if Oz looks in he may be able to help as I know he is a fan of sedum. smile.gif

Paula x

#6 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:54 PM

Still unsure of identity of the two sedums. Oz are you out there to have a look for me please. The smaller of the two now has tiny white flowers on it. and if i'm right i believe sedum acre has yellow flowers. So do yo think this one is ok to feed?

Gail

#7 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:30 PM

Hi and sorry for the delay. The plant with the little white flowers is most likely Sedum Album and this is suitable to feed and my tortoises like this plant very much. Looks like you have a nice clump of it there! So I would say yes go ahead and feed some of that.

The other sedum might be sedum rupestre but to be honest it might also be quite a few other ones as well because there are a lot of species that look a bit like this. As far as we know, sedums in general are alright so again I would say it is safe to offer this. My tortoises will nibble that kind of sedum rather than guzzle it.

Sedum Acre is a yellow flowered plant as you say, so a rule of thumb is to avoid feeding yellow flowered sedums if they look at all like that kind of plant. Until it flowers, Sedum Album looks similar to Acre.

There are a huge number of sedum plants and all we really know is to avoid Sedum Acre but I've never seen anyone say that any others are harmful.

#8 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:41 PM

Thanks Oz for the reply.

I just keep potting things up at the moment, then when i've had them identified I either pass to my mom (if toxic) or plant in the garden. So it looks like Dora and Phoebe will have two more plants to nibble on. Thank you

Gail
xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users