It's Coming On!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

Well, we hoped to be further along than we are, but the timber arrived damaged, then when it finally arrived my father in law who was going to be in charge of building pulled his back, so my great hubby has put in a mammoth effort to build this from scratch himself... one more weekend and we should be almost there!!Posted ImageThe little guys are allowed 1/2 of the shed... for now, it is well insulated and has been clad,Posted ImageWe managed to get hold of some plexiglass for their greenhouse (Belgium, :rolleyes: they're no trouble)Posted ImageWe have still got the doors to sort out but I am already experimenting with the temperatures. What I failed to understand about the plexiglass is.. everything!! The UV penetrates through the acrylic, but the heat does not appear to. On sunny Saturday the temperature in the greenhouse was only 5C higher than that of the heavily insulated shed. The heat appeared to come off the back of the greenhouse which is made from wood, and not from the acrylic. The tortoises will heat up, I put a piece of slate in there which got quite hot and yet the ambient temperature was relatively low... that is going to take me a while to get my head around as I was worried about overheating!! obviously with no doors yet things will change but that is what I have found so far.Paula xI don't think realistically we will have a great garden for them this year, but at least they will be outside... sooooon. :wub:

#2 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

Well done Paula and Hubby.

Their house is great. What alot of work and thought has gone into it. It really is looking good. Can't wait for the overall finished enclosure. It will be fabulous.

xx

#3 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:15 PM

looking great paula!!i think you are the winner out of the new tort houses!!!

welldone!!!!

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:50 PM

No Bruce, the winners are all the little guys that get to spend the summer outside. :wub: Thanks for your comments, :) Paula x

#5 Guest_italytors_*

Guest_italytors_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:15 PM

Amazing job, Paula!! I like the part about them having 1/2 the space for now. My guess is they are going to grow into it quicker than the other 1/2 thinks ......... :D Hope you'll show us the end result.M x

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:29 PM

Aha!! Well spotted M!! :LOL: And, you never know when there might be an extra little one to sqqqqquuueeze it whilst nobody's looking!! LOL!! And I thought I was being soooo clever!!Will definately post more pics as it progresses.Paula x

#7 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:38 PM

WOWFLIPPINGWEE!!!!! P, that is fanbloomtastic!!!!! Well done to you and your hubby :wub: When I think back to how your garden was.....what an achievement!!! Hettie & co will love it :wub:

#8 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:19 AM

Hi Paula,
Great enclosure!!!It's certainly up there with the best!!!My compliments to your husband on his building skills!!! Your a very dedicated keeper Paula and would put me to shame!!!Many congrats again!!!
Regards
Freddy

#9 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:14 PM

Thanks chaps! :D Dawn never mind remembering how my garden was.... it still is!! LOL!! :D We've spent all our time on the torty house, the rest hasn't moved on much at all. :LOL: Put you to shame Freddy? With how you've taken such great care of Billiejo? I don't think so!! :D I still have L plates. :) Paula x

#10 Guest_jackiedots_*

Guest_jackiedots_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:19 AM

Paula that is AMAZING !!!!! I can remember how your garden was too....... so - the theme park isn't quite ready yet then ? And no family ticket reduction on the horizon either ? ....... Mmmmmm, well I suppose you have been a bit busy elsewhere :rolleyes: That tort house and greenhouse look just fantastic. Sooooooooooo professional. You and hubby must be incredibly clever what with the planning of it all and now the building of it. I think you have done brilliantly. If it looks that good part way through, I can't wait to see the end results !!Jackiexx

#11 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

Hi Paula

I also have sunbed grade acrylic on my cold-frame (at a cost of 100!) and I have noticed exactly the same with regards to letting the heat in.

However on the other hand, the heat also doesnt go out when the heaters are on, so positive and negative! My cold frame has been known to reach more than 40 degrees when it is really hot and unbearable for them to stay in - now they have background heat on and it remains fairly constant so they are more active.

We try to do our best...!

Pat x

#12 Guest_lovebug009_*

Guest_lovebug009_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:34 AM

W.O.W. got to add this to my folder of pics. Can't wait to build my own. nice job! :)

#13 Guest_Herpard_*

Guest_Herpard_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

Wow That looks Brilliant :happy:

#14 Guest_layla_*

Guest_layla_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

Well you disappear for a few weeks and look what happens. lol.

well done P +1.

Jac.

xxx

#15 Guest_michele_*

Guest_michele_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

Oh wow,that is a 5 ***** house,makes mine look as if it needs some work done to it

#16 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:50 PM

Blooming heck Paula, your shed looks better than my house!!!

#17 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:09 PM

any more pics.....we're all dying of suspense!!!! lol!! I think I may have found a 'handyman' to build my brick 'shed'....fingers crossed!

#18 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:29 PM

Absolutely stunning!!
A posh des res for your tortoises.
Its interesting what you have said about the plexi glass not letting the heat through.
Not something I have thought about.

#19 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:40 PM

Thanks Sandy, still lots to do though!!

Just a bit of info about the temps, still learning... in this unusual heat, with all openings closed and no ventilation the highest temp at torty height recorded was 35C I wonder how this compares to the inside of a greenhouse?

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users