Tomatoes?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_paula271066_*

Guest_paula271066_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:23 PM

Hi everyone

Can you tell me if you can give torts tomatoes please. The guy that I bought my victor from said tomatoes are bad for them?

Thanks

Paula

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (paula271066 @ Jun 17 2010, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi everyone

Can you tell me if you can give torts tomatoes please. The guy that I bought my victor from said tomatoes are bad for them?

Thanks

Paula

Hi Paula,
A little sliced tomato given sparingly as a tasty treat on rare occasions does no harm.But it should not be fed to your tort. on a regular basis!!!
Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_paula271066_*

Guest_paula271066_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Jun 17 2010, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Paula,
A little sliced tomato given sparingly as a tasty treat on rare occasions does no harm.But it should not be fed to your tort. on a regular basis!!!
Regards
Freddy

#4 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:51 PM

Tomatoes are a fruit so a no no sorry!!!

#5 Guest_paula271066_*

Guest_paula271066_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

ok thanks for that smile.gif

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (paula271066 @ Jun 17 2010, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok thanks for that smile.gif

Hi Paula,
Torts. eat fruits in the wild as supplementary nutrition.They only eat a small amount of fruit,just enough to satisfy themselves.So,I wouldn't give it to them on a regular basis only a little very occasionally!!!I've had my tort. almost 30 years and she's always had bits of fruit.It hasn't done her any harm and she's still going strong!!!!Best of luck Paula!!! biggrin.gif
Regards
Freddy

#7 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:47 PM

Hi Paula
I give my torts only a small amount of tomato as a treat once in a while they love it ,H gets so excited and eats it so quickly i suppose its like us when we have some yummy delicious chocolate.
Jay,H and Becky

#8 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:33 PM

Sorry I am a stickler for doing the right thing for my tortoises, so fruit given to them is a no no. If they find it then thats fine. As thats what would happen in the wild.

#9 Guest_paula271066_*

Guest_paula271066_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ Jun 17 2010, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry I am a stickler for doing the right thing for my tortoises, so fruit given to them is a no no. If they find it then thats fine. As thats what would happen in the wild.

#10 Guest_paula271066_*

Guest_paula271066_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:00 PM

lol well victor has no chance of finding fruit or weeds in my garden, its in desperate need for a revamp and making sensory for Ryan, but like anything else its money. Anyway ive ordered some wild tortoise seeds for victor so i can grow them in his run, may just give him the odd fruit every now and again, hes not eating properly yet because he hasnt settled from us getting him, so the odd treat once every blue moon wont be too bad for him

#11 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (paula271066 @ Jun 17 2010, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol well victor has no chance of finding fruit or weeds in my garden, its in desperate need for a revamp and making sensory for Ryan, but like anything else its money. Anyway ive ordered some wild tortoise seeds for victor so i can grow them in his run, may just give him the odd fruit every now and again, hes not eating properly yet because he hasnt settled from us getting him, so the odd treat once every blue moon wont be too bad for him

Hi Paula,
If Victor isn't eating very well you could also try him with some soft leafy lettuce types like Butterhead and Little Gem or even Raddiccio which are all available in your local supermarket.These will help you get by for a while!!! Best of luck Paula!!! biggrin.gif
Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#12 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

Hi Paula

Its worth trying "freecycle" for help with making a sensory garden. Lots of people will have logs, bricks, slabs they dont want and put them up for others to make use of. Also this applies to plants too.
I have the visually impaired son, so tried to make my garden as sensory as I could.
I know my local freecycle has people offering all these things. And it can help with costs etc.
Always worth an ask:0)

#13 Guest_paula271066_*

Guest_paula271066_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ Jun 18 2010, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Paula

Its worth trying "freecycle" for help with making a sensory garden. Lots of people will have logs, bricks, slabs they dont want and put them up for others to make use of. Also this applies to plants too.
I have the visually impaired son, so tried to make my garden as sensory as I could.
I know my local freecycle has people offering all these things. And it can help with costs etc.
Always worth an ask:0)

#14 Guest_paula271066_*

Guest_paula271066_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:27 PM

Thanks for that, I didnt know that smile.gif

#15 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:20 PM

This is a great idea, as whats one mans rubbish is anothers treasure. The idea being to stop things being taken to the tip, that are still useful.
I have had a pram/pushchair for my grandson, a slide a sandpit.
And for my hatchlings a largish rabbit cage.
I am always seeing garden items being put up. I belong to four local freecycle sites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users