Fertile eggs?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tasmin_*

Guest_tasmin_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:11 PM

Hello,

I have been incubating 6 tortoise eggs for just over 2 months now, how do I know if there is any life in them or not? what should they look like by now?

I have tried the torch technique carefully, there is a little shadow where I think the embryo has attached itself, and some seem to have gone a bit bigger, but I think they may have died and stopped developing. How can I tell for sure?

Thank you for any help :-)

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:44 PM

Hi Tasmin,
You might try looking at the forum topic 'eggs' for more info. Or alternatively you can wait for the advice of Sandy (Cyberangel) or Terry (Terrypin).They should be back on the forum early tomorrow!!!
Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:34 AM

after two months you should not be seeing to much inside the egg as the tortoise would have filled the egg by now if it was fertlie.i just cracked open my eggs and they were all empty apart from the yolk in the bottom

#4 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:13 AM

I will post some pics of myeggs later where you can see the difference between fertile & infertile by candling.

#5 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:35 AM

Lol Dawn, I have been candling for over 16yrs, and can still get it wrong:0)
I do know the eggs change colour, from a sort of opaque pink to a chalky white. And when nearing hatching they look blackish inside. But not all my fertile eggs look like this. Which is so confusing to me:0)

#6 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:38 AM

Tasmin

Incubation temps make a lot of difference in how long before your eggs hatch.
I incubate at 31-5 to 32-5c. These generally hatch in sixty days, give a day or two either way
So if you are incubating at lower temps then it will take a little longer.
I also spray the eggs lightly when it gets to within two weeks of hatching time.
Terry might also be able to give some more advice too.

#7 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

hi Tamsin ,Sandy's description of a fertile egg is spot on but as for candling,i use a maglite solitaire in total darkness when i candle mine and can tell if they are develping or not but this is hard to explain.i would wait a while yet to see if they hatch .what temperatures and humdity do you have in your incubator.
terry

#8 Guest_tasmin_*

Guest_tasmin_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:33 PM

Hello all, many thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it, and I'm sorry I have taken so long to get back to you all. I didn't have access to the internet for a bit then it was a case of "ignorance is bliss" as I really don't want to make the decision of throwin gout the eggs just in case I get it wrong :(

I spray the eggs lightly 2-3 times a day to try and keep it humid in there, I have a bowl of water with a sponge soaking in there, but if I'm honest it's still pretty dry in the incubator. I have the temperature constantly at 29-30 degrees C. I have been using the maglite torch to try and see if there is any life inside the eggs, I have just checked them and there is definitely "yolk" at the bottom, and in some on the side clinging to the top, with little bits of red squiggly lines going through it, but, the rest of the egg looks hollow and white. It has been 4-5 months now, surely they would be black/very dark by now? Shall I assume there are not fertile/alive?

Thank you all once again :-) xxx

#9 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:39 PM

if its hermann eggs i wouldnt hold out much hope after90 days.so i would say after 5months you mite want to think about turning your incubator off.theirs always next time.you mite have better luck

bruce

#10 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:43 PM

I agree the hope of them being fertile is very small if not non exsisitant.

#11 Guest_tasmin_*

Guest_tasmin_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

Thank you Bruce, that is what I feared, they are Hermans yes. Aww that is a shame, I'm actually really sad! :( Thanks again xx

#12 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:48 PM

i have had four cluches of infertile eggs.its not a nice feeling when you know they arnt going to hatch!!!

#13 Guest_tasmin_*

Guest_tasmin_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:51 PM

It's not no! this is my second lot of infertile eggs now. I'm sorry to hear you have been through it 4 times! I have been told to put them in the freezer just incase they are fertile so they won't have a slow death, this sounds absolutely horrifying to me! should i do this?

#14 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:02 PM

after that lengh off time i would crack them open just to see whats inside thats what i do.last year i cracked two open and their was two dead torts inside them.one fully formed and one half formed.i found a crack in that one and tried out.so mite be worth while just to see!

bruce

#15 Guest_tasmin_*

Guest_tasmin_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

Oh to be honest with you I don't think I can do that!! I'd be so upset if I saw one in there, you are right in what you are saying, it would be nice to know if they were fertile or not, but I'm too much of a baby for that!! :-(

#16 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

hi Tasmin,im really sorry to hear your eggs didnt hatch you must be so disappointed.i have a tortoise who laid two clutches a year for several years same male and same set up then one year two eggs hatched and ever since she rarely has less than 100% fertility.now if i could just find every clutch she lays the little minx.what im trying to say is never give up just when you have given up hope she will lay fertile eggs.please dont be a stranger you can contact me any time you have any thoughts or queries(or eggs)good luck for next year.
terry :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users