Introducing Tilly......

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:02 PM

Hi All

I’m sorry I haven’t told you all my news before, but I have been so busy trying to get a tortoise friendly garden and make adjustments to Dora and Phoebe’s outdoor enclosure, I just haven’t had time.
Firstly I have to inform you of a name change. I have decided to change Dora and Phoebe’s names to Tom & Tiny. One because they are sooooooooo both males and proud, it is unreal, and secondly, because of my new arrival.....
Introducing Tilly!
Attached File  03062010186.jpg   465.35KB   35 downloads

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine phoned and asked if would take in a tortoise that was up for rehoming. I said yes of course I would, and set about sorting out an indoor table to put the tortoise in. Well as you can imagine, having 2, very small Herman’s, the spare table I had was built to suit them. So when my friend came round with the tortoise, I was really surprised, there was no way she was going to fit in the table I had prepared!!!!!. LOL. So plan B, came into action. We tided out the greenhouse and shed, and set about removing all the toxic plants that we recognised around the garden. We still haven’t finished everything, but Tilly as we now call her, has the run of the garden (for the time being). don’t know what happened to the other tortoise but I do know that he has possibly left a legacy behind...in the form of 12 eggs!!!! Obviously Tilly is very settled as she felt comfortable enough to lay them. As of yet I don’t know if they are fertile but they are cooking as we speak! I will keep you updated on the eggs.
Tilly has a very bumpy shell, but other than this she seems very healthy. Her mouth and tongue are very pink, her urates and faeces seem fine. She eats what she fancies around the garden and all in all seems very settled.
She has no history at present except that she had been rescued with another tortoise a while back (presuming a male...), but I’m sure she is a Spur Thighed Tortoise.

A more precise identification would be appreciated if possible as I believe there are different species of spur thigh¸ so I am unsure which one she is.

Attached File  P6160224.JPG   720.07KB   36 downloads
Attached File  P6160225.JPG   699.92KB   35 downloads
Attached File  P6160227.JPG   870.35KB   31 downloads
Attached File  P6160228.JPG   733.67KB   31 downloads

Many thanks in anticipation of a more precise identification

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (gail69 @ Jul 4 2010, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi All

I’m sorry I haven’t told you all my news before, but I have been so busy trying to get a tortoise friendly garden and make adjustments to Dora and Phoebe’s outdoor enclosure, I just haven’t had time.
Firstly I have to inform you of a name change. I have decided to change Dora and Phoebe’s names to Tom & Tiny. One because they are sooooooooo both males and proud, it is unreal, and secondly, because of my new arrival.....
Introducing Tilly!

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine phoned and asked if would take in a tortoise that was up for rehoming. I said yes of course I would, and set about sorting out an indoor table to put the tortoise in. Well as you can imagine, having 2, very small Herman’s, the spare table I had was built to suit them. So when my friend came round with the tortoise, I was really surprised, there was no way she was going to fit in the table I had prepared!!!!!. LOL. So plan B, came into action. We tided out the greenhouse and shed, and set about removing all the toxic plants that we recognised around the garden. We still haven’t finished everything, but Tilly as we now call her, has the run of the garden (for the time being).
Tilly has a very bumpy shell, but other than this she seems very healthy. Her mouth and tongue are very pink, her urates and faeces seem fine. She eats what she fancies around the garden and all in all seems very settled.
She has no history at present except that she had been rescued with another tortoise a while back (presuming a male...), but I’m sure she is a Spur Thighed Tortoise. I don’t know what happened to the other tortoise but I do know that he has possibly left a legacy behind...in the form of 12 eggs!!!! Obviously Tilly is very settled as she felt comfortable enough to lay them. As of yet I don’t know if they are fertile but they are cooking as we speak! I will keep you updated on the eggs.

A more precise identification would be appreciated if possible. I’m sure she is a spur thigh but believe there are different species of spur thigh¸ so I am unsure which one she is.

Many thanks in anticipation of a more precise identification

cant see a pic!!

#3 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:11 PM

Blinking heck after all that!!!!! LOL

I'll try again.

Sorry.
xx

#4 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (gail69 @ Jul 4 2010, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Blinking heck after all that!!!!! LOL

I'll try again.

Sorry.
xx

thats better!!shes deff a spur of some sort.she looks to be a fair age do you know how old she is?

#5 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (brucefairweather @ Jul 4 2010, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thats better!!shes deff a spur of some sort.she looks to be a fair age do you know how old she is?

Hi Bruce

No i'm sorry, we haven't a clue on her age.

But when I sit and have a little chat with her, I tell her that I think she looks about 25. laugh.gif She doesn't seem to mind that age, so that's what we are sticking with, unless we find out any different of course.

#6 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (gail69 @ Jul 4 2010, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Bruce

No i'm sorry, we haven't a clue on her age.

But when I sit and have a little chat with her, I tell her that I think she looks about 25. laugh.gif She doesn't seem to mind that age, so that's what we are sticking with, unless we find out any different of course.

i will try and e mail the pic to my friend as he has about 20 adult spurs,he will know for sure what spur she is

bruce

#7 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (brucefairweather @ Jul 4 2010, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i will try and e mail the pic to my friend as he has about 20 adult spurs,he will know for sure what spur she is

bruce

Thanks Bruce.

That will be a great help.

xx

#8 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:50 PM

my friend seems to think its a sulcata!!!will grow very big 30inches!!!!dose not hibernate.you have your hands full their.if you look on this forum i posted a pic of a fully grown one i seen on hoils.hope this helps a bit

bruce

#9 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (brucefairweather @ Jul 4 2010, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my friend seems to think its a sulcata!!!will grow very big 30inches!!!!dose not hibernate.you have your hands full their.if you look on this forum i posted a pic of a fully grown one i seen on hoils.hope this helps a bit

bruce

Oh dear me. I don't like people to be wrong, but this may be one instance when it may just be a little big welcoming if your friend is wrong. We live in a mid terraced house, gonna have to be very nice to the neighbours if ever Tilly has to get round the front for any reasons when she gets bigger. LOL. And it looks like re-inforced fencing may have to come in to play. Ha Ha.

Whatever species she is, she is absolutely lovely. She has a lovely character.

xx

#10 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (gail69 @ Jul 4 2010, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh dear me. I don't like people to be wrong, but this may be one instance when it may just be a little big welcoming if your friend is wrong. We live in a mid terraced house, gonna have to be very nice to the neighbours if ever Tilly has to get round the front for any reasons when she gets bigger. LOL. And it looks like re-inforced fencing may have to come in to play. Ha Ha.

Whatever species she is, she is absolutely lovely. She has a lovely character.

xx

i have not known him to be wrong yet about tortoises!!but you never know.he said he had four of them but had to give them up as they were to much and he has one of the biggist gardens i have seen.full of tortoises.his last count was 70 odd adult breeding torts.so he knows his stuff

#11 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:04 PM

Definitely not a Sulcata!
I think its a female ibera, but it is hard to tell because of the pyramiding.

#12 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ Jul 4 2010, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Definitely not a Sulcata!
I think its a female ibera, but it is hard to tell because of the pyramiding.

Hi Sandy

Would it help if I took more pictures?? I'm not sure which parts would be best to take for ID. And I have to say Tilly is either camera shy or just nosey, because you just can't keep her still unless you hold her or she's eating. LOL.

She is very inquisitive and always investigating things. I found her wedged in the hose pipe reel this morning. I thought we were going to have to cut her out. Now she is banned from the shed, much to her disgust. She makes a bee line for it everyday. She ususally goes in, looks around and then sits in the doorway looking out. I thought we'd moved everything out that may be a problem, but obviously not!!! So until I can afford to get her one of her own, ours is out of bounds and she has to stick to her rather large adapted dog Kennel, the greenhouse and the rest of the garden.

xx

#13 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:26 PM

Hi Gail,
Congratulations on your beautiful new tort. addition 'Tilly'. She certainly is a wonderful specimen. Looks like she could be well over 50yrs of age if her size is anything to go by!!! I'm not too sure of her species but I'm sure some helpful person here on the forum will let you know soon. I can tell by your enthusiasm for 'Tilly' that she certainly has a loving new home!!! Best of luck with her Gail!!! You lucky thing!!! ha ha!!! wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#14 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:11 AM

Hi Gail, I'm so pleased you've shared Tilly with everyone on here, though I kinda liked having her to myself wub.gif wub.gif She sure is a beautiful girl and is very definatly not a salcuta.

Don't forget to keep us updated about the eggs...can't wait to see wht happens, but obviously we don't know if she's been with a male so until hatching day won't know if they are fertile...

#15 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:52 PM

Ooooh she is a 'sturdy girl' Gail!! She must look massive compared to the littlies. biggrin.gif
Sounds as if Tilly is making herself right at home. wub.gif Sorry I can't help with the ID, but I did enjoy seeing your pics!

Paula x

#16 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:59 PM

More pictures from the top/head end would help. As there are some ibera/graecas that are very similar, so difficult to ID.

#17 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

i think it was my fault the pics i sent chris were to small when he tried to make them bigger they blurred up on him.i am sure if i got a bigger pic to send to him he will be able to id her for you

bruce

#18 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:09 PM

Hi Bruce, Whatever she is she is lovely and great that she has found a lovely caring home, who will do the best for her.

Enjoy getting to know her and keep us posted on her antics and the eggs.

Patx

#19 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:31 PM

Thank you all for your comments about Tilly. I actually think I am the one who is lucky. Lucky that I have her to care for. She keeps us well entertained. I can't wait for Tom & Tiny (Dora & Phoebe) to be big enough to roam the garden. Which will then have to be divided between them and Tilly. It will be lovely to just look out the window and see what they are upto. But that's a long time coming yet. They'd get lost for sure at the moment.

Anyway, I have tried to take more photos of Tilly's head. But the only way to keep her still long enough was to give her some romaine and little gem lettuce. So lets see if they are any better for identification.

Attached File  P7060250.JPG   705.4KB   14 downloadsAttached File  P7060246.JPG   702.2KB   15 downloadsAttached File  P7060247.JPG   696.76KB   20 downloadsAttached File  P7060251.JPG   704.02KB   11 downloads

xx

#20 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:58 AM

After seeing the second lot of pictures, I think she is a graeca graeca. Definitly either ibera or graeca. Sorry not to be more accurate. But some just are harder to tell apart. Especially if they have pyramiding.
I dont think I have seen such pyramiding in an adult of that size before. Unless the tortoise is a lot younger than she looks:0)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users