Bindweed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_subee_*

Guest_subee_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:48 PM

Hey there,

I can't find Bindweed on either the edible or toxic list on here, and people's old posts on whether it is safe to feed seems quite conflicting. Could we get a difinitve answer? And is there any reason why it's not on either list??

Cheers

#2 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:56 AM

Taken from http://www.thetortoi...19.asp?catID=40

Not recommended as tortoise food as it contains cardiac glycosides and toxic alkaloids. A small amount will do no harm but care should be taken to clear enclosures of any bindweed as the stems are so strong and could cause strangulation if a tortoise should become tangled.
Feed in moderation

I thought it was on my list I've done in the weed section....

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:31 AM

A lot of plants my tortoises have been eating now and again seem now to be not good. But sorry I am still feeding bindweed, and sticky bud. But not all the time, just now and again. Its all part of a varied diet.
I think some are now, looking at what plants contain. Then seeing what some of these things do, and then saying they are bad.
If you fed bindweed every day for a month or a year, yes you will cause damage. But now and again its ok. But this is just my opinion.
Lin King did a lot of field work with tortoises in the wild, to help produce her list of suitable plants for tortoises. I think I will stick with that list. www.tortoises.net

#4 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:39 PM

Hello
Bindweed is on my edible weed list and i only give small amounts as i can only get it when i go over the common,i only give the white flower but both of my torts love it.
Jay,H and Becky

#5 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:01 PM

I do occasionally offer this to my little guys.

There are so many plants now that are said not to be good that it would be a very limited diet without a little of them.

I'm sure variety must be the key?

Obviously I wouldn't offer anything listed as toxic.

Paula x

#6 Guest_subee_*

Guest_subee_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts everyone. It can be so confusing. The Tlady's guide lists Bindweed as edible and I've seen lots of posts on this forum recommending her weed list so when I hear contradictions it makes we worried who to trust. I couldn't bear it if I fed my little tort something toxic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users